Canelo Alvarez would completely annihilate Dmitry Bivol and Beterbiev

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by MVC!, May 10, 2021.

1. MVC!

MVC! The Best Ever Full Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Discuss.

I see Canelo knocking them out in 8 or 9 rounds tops.

Those 2 ain't Mayweather, not even close bruv.

2. Quina74

Quina74 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Canelo was losing 5 rounds to 2 before his power bailed him out against an inactive 160lber who looked just above European level in his last three fights.

On an even playing field, Beterbiev smashes Canelo and puts him in a coma and Bivol wins a wide UD with two outrageous Canelo scorecards

bjl12, MarkusFlorez99, CST80 and 2 others like this.
  3. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Canelo was winning 5 rounds to 3 before the fight was stopped. On an even playing field where beterbiev is getting tested, i think Canelo can beat him. Bivol with his skillset would be the most difficult fight, but i think canelos counter punching skills would help him win it.

Ph33rknot and MarkusFlorez99 like this.
  4. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2020
    Canelo has a good chance to beat both Beterbiev and Bivol based on his skillset and current fighting style, but 'annihilate' is a bit much IMO.

Gvodzyk pushed AB super hard at a super-fast pace, and Beterbiev took it all and made Gvodzyk crumble. Unless Artur has deteriorates hugely by the time (if and when) they fight, then he's not getting annihilated that's fo sure, he is tough as nails.

My current thinking on it is that Beterbievs style and his short VERY hard punches with little distance is not a great matchup for Canelo, and that if Canelo uses his current 'walk-down massive body-hook' style against Beterbiev, he will be relinquishing his best assets, which is countering and keeping it at range - away from Beterbievs best strengths.

I think that if they were to fight in Sept rather than Plant, that Beterbiev would work Canelo's body more and stop him late. But if that get's in to late 22 and each year passes, Canelo get's more the favourite in that one.

Bivol is a much different animal, and in that one Canelo's current style is much more suited to a succesful fight against Bivol, who might be suspect to the body. But, Bivol has a masterful sense of distance, great footwork, and I think that his jab is one of the best in boxing today, and can see him really frustrating Canelo for very good spells, disrupting his rythym and not allowing him to set his feet properly. Bivol would have to have his workrate on top form, and make Canelo work every second of every round and really force the pace.

I will agree with others that Bivol did not look as sharp as he normally does against Craig Richards last time out, but think that's a combination that Richards might actually be pretty decent, and Bivol had a lot of ring rust and wanted to get rounds in, and appeared to be coasting for much of the fight.

Both fights are very interesting for very different reasons, and I give Canelo a decent chance in both, though I would favour Beterbiev. Bivol might actually be slight underdog.

ShovelHook, sasto, BoxerToxer and 2 others like this.
  5. BoxerToxer

BoxerToxer Member banned Full Member

Mar 1, 2021
    Dmitry Bivol is a machine. He is more skilled than any active boxer currently. He is the best pound to pound active boxer in my opinion.

6. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    not even close.

MagicE likes this.
  7. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    If that is so, he hasn't come close to proving it.

8. Bokaj

Jan 4, 2008
    Two great fights I think. Both would be big challenges, but in different ways obviously.

Don't think they should hand around waiting for Caenlo, though, as Spence and Bud do for Pac. They should face each other as soon as possible.

9. BoxerToxer

BoxerToxer Member banned Full Member

Mar 1, 2021
    He is proving it in his each match. A keen boxing fan would notice it by watching his matches. The man has the perfect skill set. A true natural.

sasto likes this.
  10. Hi-Tek-Lomo

Hi-Tek-Lomo Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    Beterbiev is a physical monster.
    Bivol is a really polished boxer.
    Canelo would have his hands full with both of them.

BCS8, Heavy_Hitter, Geo1122 and 4 others like this.
  11. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    I think he beats Beterbiev who's far too slow for Canelo. Benavidez well that's a different story. Kid is nasty with pop and length. Bivol his style would frustrate Canelo but I don't know if he can stand up to Canelo's attack. If he can he can beat him.

gollumsluvslave likes this.
  12. Dannymita

Dannymita Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2019
    If beterbiev fights like his last fight...I'd agree

I'm not sold on bivol

JSpizz and Reinhardt like this.
  13. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2020
    I'm not sure I would go that far - I REALLY rate his skillset, but as yet he has not really been tested through the fire against a fellow elite fighter to really prove it. He did prove he has a good beard though against Joe Smith Jr, but he needs more quality on his resume.

Let's face it Beterbiev and Bivol should be fighting each other in a unification, but rumour has it that Beterbiev more than had Bivol's number in sparring. Not sure how much stock I put in the accuracy of that or the fact that it's sparring, but maybe that's one of the reason's the fight has not been made.

BoxerToxer, sasto and Pimp C like this.
  14. Bokaj

Jan 4, 2008
    A keen boxing fan waits with such praise until the fighter in question has showed it against good enough opposition. A much younger Pascal lost to an ancient Hopkins ffs, you don't have to be RJJ to look good against him. Joe Smith jr has beaten who exactly? And a p4p nr 1 should blow a guy like Richards completely away.

15. dragon666

dragon666 Active Member Full Member

Apr 28, 2021
    He'd have a difficult time with both. He'd probably lose to Beterbiev in a heroic fight.

Bivol's weakness is his inside game and being pressured which Canelo can take advantage of. Bivol would win the jab contest but Canelo would be up in power punches landed.

Beterbiev likes to pause very briefly at times when he moves around and has to reset before he engages with his opponents. He systemically breaks fighters down with thudding hard blows. His movement is deceptive and he's faster than he looks.

Ultimately i think Beterbiev is too big and strong for Canelo. Bivol is a better and more winnable matchup for Canelo.