Canelo beats Kovalev decisively

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by RingKing75, Oct 24, 2019.

1. PunchersChance.

PunchersChance. Active Member banned Full Member

Nov 30, 2018
    Cant agree but it’s all open to interpretation at the end of the day! You know your boxing and I respect your opinion.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  2. RingKing75

RingKing75 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Youre out of your mind on the first point but lets not get on that subject as its been a dead horse for a long time. Im not saying Kov is washed up of course he isn't but hes not close to what he was. You dont suffer two Kos in your 30s and not lose something, not just physically but psychologically. Also Canelo is the smaller guy but hes at his peak and still ascending. Im not going to get into the technical aspects of the fight I just dont see Kov winning this fight. It'd be absolutely awesome for him and of course the sport if he sprung a dramatic upset but I dont see it happening.

Angler Andrew likes this.
  3. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Can we perhaps compose a list of times career middleweights fought career light heavyweights and what the results were? I'd like to see statistics on the success rate, along with extra details like the relative height and reach of combatants, or their ages. It's one thing for Dick Tiger to beat Jose Torres and another if he'd beaten Bob Foster. Ray Robinson nearly beat the light punching Maxim, not the monster puncher Moore. When Hopkins moved up he was still taller than his opponents. Although his is a unique case, since he started at LH.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  4. rapscalion

rapscalion Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Is there a rehydration clause? That changes things if so. If not I think it could be the right time and Canelo can pull it off

5. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    But Ward's display was one of the dirtiest I've ever seen. Yes I did see Bowe/Golota 1 & 2. Ward was blatantly throwing low & Weekes looked the other way

Angler Andrew likes this.
  6. pacas

pacas Member Full Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Ok,let's assume they were low. Do you acknowledge that Kovalev was on his way to being stopped before the low blows? He was getting knocked out either way. Kovalev wasn't going to win the fight by quitting and complaining about being hit low. See the ending of the Terence Crawford vs Amir Khan fight for a reference.

PunchersChance. likes this.
  7. C.J.

Apr 14, 2009
    If you remember Weekes warned Ward in the first round with a " Keep Em Up ." From then on Ward blasted Kov's testes on at least TEN-TWELVE TIMES blatantly. Not a peep from Weekes I wonder why ?? I believe the commission should have investigated both Ward & Weekes actions in that fight at the very least

pacas and Angler Andrew like this.
  8. pacas

pacas Member Full Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Weeks was only doing his job. If a fighter sits on the ropes and gives up, it's the refs job to call off the fight. Do you think Weeks should have taken a point away or DQ'ed Ward? What do you think would've been fair?

POTUS likes this.
  9. rorschach51

rorschach51 A Legend & A Gentleman Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    No Contest just like the WBC did that Mexican kid who pushed Charlie Edwards **** in in his own backyard. Shouldn't be able to win on a foul.

OvidsExile likes this.
  10. GK BOX

GK BOX Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 23, 2015
    This fight has tons of intrigue
    Can Canelo handle Kovs jab?
    Will canelo get on the inside and do damage ?

11. pacas

pacas Member Full Member

Mar 15, 2014
    I didn't see that fight, what happened? What about the Terence Crawford/Amir Khan example? Khan was hit with a clear-cut low blow and didn't want to continue so they gave Crawford the TKO win. Khan was clearly losing the fight and about to be stopped. You could say the same for Kovalev in that last round, he had stopped fighting back and wanted out. Do you think Khan's fight should've been ruled a NC?

POTUS likes this.
  12. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Do you remember when many members of this forum were saying GGG was going to KO Canelo.. twice.

Its the popular thing to say around here.

RingKing75 likes this.
  13. rorschach51

rorschach51 A Legend & A Gentleman Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Then Crawford Khan should have been a NC too. You can't win a championship in any other sport on a foul. If a team is losing the world series and someone hits it far enough for a home run and the win, the umpires don't just let it count if it's on the wrong side of the foul pole. A NFL team doesn't get to keep a touchdown if there was a flag on the play on them. Boxing is the only pro sport where it's officials can simply ignore fouls & rules or doing the right thing if it doesn't suit them or get a wild hair up their asses to play it right down the middle for both fighters.

OvidsExile, pacas and CST80 like this.
  14. dangerousity

dangerousity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Canelo should win. They wouldn’t be taking this fight if they thought wouldn’t win.

It’s tricky when a fighter is moving up, one side you can argue they’ll be heavier and can’t take as much damage, can’t dish as much damage etc.

But I think Canelo speed will be surprising for Kovalev as he’s used to LHW speed and not fast MW speed. Canelo also has an iron chin and hits good.

There’s also the idea that Canelo is equal to GGG where GGG best kovalev in sparring. And kova looks way past it.

I think Canelo UD.

pacas likes this.
  15. C.J.

Apr 14, 2009
    Shoot with the blatant low blows Ward was landing he should have been DQ'd 2 or 3 rounds earlier. Weekes ignored every one of them. He's either incompetant or he was BIASED!! He's a senior ref so you choose which
    That final blast to Kov's testes would have felled abull let alone a man. It was a BLATANT FOUL!! watch Ward's face as he delivered that first blow. He's an obnoxious dirty fighter