Canelo Glass Heart Alvarez. Why should we even care about this fighter anymore?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by tinman, Jan 17, 2017.

1. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    You're either a kid or a lonely man, its has to be one or the other.

2. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    When has Canelo said that 160 was too big to fight for the 160 lb belt vs Golovkin? Are you sure you're not putting words into his mouth, or was it lost in translation?

Please show where Canelo said that. You're calling a guy El Pollo for taking on a fighter 2 weight divisions above. Fighting this guy Chavez when you're a 154-er is not an easy fight. I don't know where you're getting that, Canelo is taking on the biggest names out there, making the biggest possible fights. El Pollo would not challenge himself by taking on someone as big and dangerous as Chavez.

3. aaalbert

aaalbert Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 15, 2015
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/platform...ll-only-fight-golovkin-at-155-lbs-boxing-news

Saying their body is not ready for 160 kinda implies it's too big. Wait 1 or 2 years? Really? Really Canelo? Give me a f*cking break! He's waiting for GGG to get old is what he's doing. That's why the Chavez fight at 164.5 is so damn weird...

iii likes this.
  4. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    That quote attributed to him is from before the Cotto bout, it's unclear if that was the words he used. We still have posters running around with the whole Mexicans don't **** around line, which was another bad translation and that was on video. If a HBO translator can mess up a translation of a Canelo post fight statement on live TV, then there's no telling how he could be misquoted in the media.

Following the Liam Smith bout, Canelo made a decision to move up to 160. In the post fight he said that that would probably be his last fight at 154. Before the Liam Smith bout, there were no plans to move up from 154. What you are failing to understand, is that Canelo wanted to finish his career at 154 as a champion, and fight for a title that he wouldn't be capable of fighting for and winning after a move up to 160. Then in December (2016) DLH confirmed that Canelo was planning on moving up to 160. Canelo did this so he will be in a better position to make the Golovkin fight. If he continued to fight 154 contenders, then Golovkin would have a better excuse not to have to fight him. But by Canelo deciding to move up to MW, into SMW to fight Chavez Jr shows that Canelo is serious about making the Golovkin fight. What if he kept fighting defending that WBO title at 154. A rematch with Lara?? Is that really a bigger fight than Chavez Jr and Golovkin in one year? Since the Smith fight, Canelo has made a bold move and said he is going to campaign at MW. Going above Golovkin in weight from 154. It's very Canelo to jump over Golovkin into Super MW. I mean to a lot of people this should be their dream come true seeing Canelo at higher weights. It must have been a tough negotiation to agree on 164.5 lbs, GBP probably wanted 164, half way between MW and SMW, but Chavez probably argued for 165. Chavez may have trouble making 165, but he could decide to lose $$ and come in over the target. But how can you make a fight with a 154-lber as a SMW if you're not willing to make sacrifices?

IsaL likes this.
  5. trumperZ06

trumperZ06 Active Member Full Member

Aug 8, 2015
    :risas3:Hhmmmm maybe.... After Canelo had to

DROP HIS PANTIES

to meet 154lb. limit at the Smith weigh-in !!!

iii and aaalbert like this.
  6. ecdrm15

ecdrm15 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Hell make a lot more money in the long run but its sad that hes now dancing around GGG.

aaalbert likes this.
  7. IsaL

Oct 7, 2006
    Still waiting for your response buddy.

You say that "Oscar is steering Canelo clear of Ggg", then kindly explain how sending Ggg three offers, for a fight at 155, and two offers for 160 with eight figure paydays attached considered b"steering Canelo clear of Ggg" to You.

You can't just make a bold comment and expect not to be called out on it.

8. KiwiMan

KiwiMan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Like I said I have no issue with Chavez Jr - Canelo, but the fact remains:

"At this moment, my body isn't ready for 160 pounds. Maybe 1 or 2 more years I'll be ready for 160, I don't know, but I'd be delighted to fight someone like Gennady. He's a great fighter and I think it would be a great fight. I'd be delighted to get him in a fight."

“Canelo knows his body,” De La Hoya said on Wednesday during a conference call to drum up interest in Canelo’s fight next month against WBO junior middleweight champion Liam Smith on September 17 on HBO pay-per-view. “The bottom line is, Canelo is a 154-pound fighter. The fact that he fought at 155, people expect him to go and fight at middleweight. He’s going up to 160 pounds when his body feels ready. People always want to see the very best. He is the star fighter in boxing and people want him to fight the very best and fighting a Golovkin — he’s going to fight him but when he’s ready to go up to 160.”

trumperZ06 and iii like this.
  9. Angler Andrew

Angler Andrew Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 28, 2016
    It's hardly a bold statement Isal,you only have to see Oscars last interview on fox,he's the one saying the fight will happen in Sep,now I'll be honest as I can with you mate that if Golovkin and K2 turn down a figure of 15 million after Cinco de maya I'll be most unhappy myself but to say GGG turned down two offers at 160 10 to 12 moths before Sep means what in your opinion,I mean I'm asking a genuine question about how long it would take to promote the fight,so let's after Chavez Canelo has another fight on Cinco de maya and GGG like wise what are Canelos plans after this could he fit another fight in for July or would the deal Absoloutly need to be made for Sep by then?

10. IsaL

Oct 7, 2006
    You said Oscar is steering Ggg clear of Golovkin. What makes you believe this when there has been three offers made to Golovkin?

You don't think a fight can be signed 6-12 months before fight night?

Canelo really only needs to fight in May and Sept. Those have traditionally been the two best fight dates since Oscar established them as his fight dates. A fight in July would be nice but unrealistic.

Mexicans and MX-Americans are the biggest PPV consumers so naturally fights on these Mexican holidays are catered to Mexicans.

Going back to the point, how is ODLH sending GGG three offers considered avoiding Ggg. Interested in your logic.

11. Angler Andrew

Angler Andrew Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Because I don't believe the offers as we all know talk is cheap and the actions of Oscar which I totally understand financially and from a boxing perspective of only having two fights at the bottom end of 160,I hate to keep mentioning it but you have it from the mouth of Canelo himself when he dropped his title and moved to 154,I get his reasons but again those are the actions of someone being steered not only away from GGG but the division itself.

12. iii

iii Boxing Addict Full Member

May 3, 2016
    Oh here we go jam tomorrow ...it never comes sonny boy GGG rules!

13. IsaL

Oct 7, 2006
    You don't believe the offer so thats why you keep repeating that GBP is steering Canelo clear of Ggg??

Has Ggg or K2 denied the offers?

14. Kevin Willis

Kevin Willis Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 16, 2013
    I am either a kid or lonely man yet you are typing out veritable love letters, elevating Oscar and Canelo's place in society to paragons of virtue.

Actions of a creepy fan boy living vicariously through people who would not give him the time of day.

15. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I'm pretty sure he's a raccoon. Look at his profile pic.

mirkofilipovic likes this.