Canelo/Goldenboy sign multi fight deal with DAZN

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Patter983, Oct 16, 2018.

1. BigStiffIdiot

BigStiffIdiot Safer than Adam Smith's laptop password. Full Member

Sep 4, 2018

I completely agree it weakens him temporarily within DAZN. However if Canelo signing means Matchroom USA manage to sign some more top level fighters that then strengthens Hearn again.

Eddie knows the long-game and probably is feeling quite smug (no change there). A platform with a billion dollars to spent in this market was never realistically going to be exclusive with a promoter with next to no US experience and hardly any fighters. If he builds a mega stable like he has in the UK then the next deal with DAZN could be bigger and better. Also he has an 8 year contract so I am sure he isn't sweating just yet.

moog likes this.
  2. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    So DAZN now has Matchroom UK, Matchroom US, Golden Boy and WBS all for relatively cheap price? Boxing fans dreams.

Would the Golden Boy shows on DAZN be shown on SkySports in the UK? I certainly hope so.

Make sense, Golden boy and Matchroom working more closer with the large amoumt of potential opponents Matchroom has in Fielding, Smith, Jacobs and Andrade.

Patter983 and moog like this.
  3. dryzer

dryzer Active Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2017
    his UK stable is pretty crap at the minute though

4. Secret Service

Secret Service New Member banned Full Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Lmao. DAZN Spent nearly $365 for Canelo which lasts for 11 Years. The Champions League costs that same amount of money for a single year.

Never mind the fact the Preimer League costs 4-5 BILLION to get the top packages and it only lasts for three years before it goes to auction again. DAZN are right to stay away from the UK Market, it’s crazy and dangerously inflated

DirtyOldTown and Patter983 like this.
  5. Secret Service

Secret Service New Member banned Full Member

Sep 23, 2018
    This post along with so many others on this forum is worrying. Why do people love mentioning Eddie Hearn instead of saying DAZN is great for Boxing or DAZN is going to succeed

The comments are always indirectly linked to Eddie Hearn becoming successful rather than DAZN. A lot of people on here would definitely like to suck Hearns ****

6. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Eddie doesn’t have an 8 year contract. It’s a 2 year deal with an option to renew for both parties for the remaining years. What happens if Eddie can’t sign the fighters? Your forgetting that Haymons new mega deal accross Showtime & Fox networks starts from December, Arum is sitting there on his massive ESPN platform probably ready to sign fighters too.

Not to mention that Eddie might face competition for signings on his own platform via GBP.

Maybe things might end up working out ok for Eddie in the end, I have real serious doubts but time will tell.

7. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    AJ - Number 1 HW with 3 of the 4 titles. Biggest star in boxing.
    Smith - WBA and number 1 SMW
    Burnett - WBA title holder
    Bellew - Former WC, PPV fighter fighting for the unified Cruiserweight champion.
    Whyte - PPV fighter amongst the top 5 rank across the boards.
    Fielding - WBA regular title holder who is fighting the second biggest star in boxing.
    Brook - Former WC
    Khan - former - WC
    K. Yafai - WBA title holder
    K.Taylor - WBA and IBF champion
    C.Johnson- Just fought for a world title.
    J.Buasti - Great pospect
    J. Kelly - Great prospect

That's a solid stable, compare that to Warren's who I think only has one British WC in Warrington and one PPV attracting star in Fury.

Scissors likes this.
  8. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Eddie has a solid stable, but things can turn in boxing very quickly.

In the next few months the following is very likely to happen-

- Bellew gets beat by Usyk and retires
    - Fielding loses to Canelo and returns to domestic level (in realty he never left
    - Khan only 1 fight left in his contract
    - Burnett likely to lose his belt during the tournament
    - katie Taylor = nobody gives a monkeys about her.

I do get that you can do a very similar thing with Warrens stable, but the point remains the same.

9. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Canelo/Golden Boy deal is for 11 fights according to Hearn.

10. ryuken87

ryuken87 Active Member Full Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Not sure exactly what it means for Hearn and how much he has to play with, but it's good news for his fighters at and around MW.

11. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    The deal is worth at least $365 million.

12. Chalky

Chalky Member Full Member

Jul 18, 2016
    Its also been confirmed that this deal doesn't take away from Eddie's £1b pot. It's a complete separate pot. So Eddie still has his share.

Everyone is winning here, This is massive for boxing.

Patter983 likes this.
  13. bladesman

bladesman Active Member Full Member

May 31, 2015
    Dazn has just become a much bigger player. It's huge for matchroom usa. Its like how in the UK being on sky and having the football rights along side it helps boxing grow rather than it be on premier sports on some obscure broadcaster like that. If its a success the money will grow. Obviously matchroom can't coast but this makes their job easier.More eyes on their product.

14. Patter983

Patter983 Active Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Wonder how many subscribers they need for this to be sustainable?

i think they need some main stream sports on board in the coming years to crack 10 million with just boxing/mm a it will be a struggle to pay these big figures to there fighters over the coming years.

15. DirtyOldTown

DirtyOldTown Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Has anyone mentioned the fact that streaming live sports is total bollocks and unreliable?