Canelo is a better fighter than Golovkin.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by VG_Addict, May 12, 2020.

1. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Golovkin might have been "robbed" in both fights, but Canelo is the better and more skilled fighter.

Canelo adjusted in the rematch, which is why he gave Golovkin more trouble.

Canelo is a better body puncher. Golovkin has become a headhunter in his recent fights.

Canelo is a better counter-puncher.

Canelo has better head movement. Look at Golovkin's face in the rematch.

2. MorvidusStyle

MorvidusStyle Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2017
    1. Then why did Golovkin win the first fight comfortably in the eyes of most. Even if you believe Canelo won the second, all considered it close. Therefore at best Canelo has a narrow win while Golovkin has a comfortable win. And Golovkin was middle-age for both.
    2. Canelo had ridiculous stamina in the second, fighting at a never-before-seen pace for 12 rounds, which is why he gave Golovkin more trouble. The adjustment was likely chemical.
    3. Revisit Golovkin's one punch rib breaker on Macklin. He also cracked Groves' rib. That's two rib crackers to Canelo's zero. Canelo is shorter and more compact, likely making it harder for Golovkin to land to the body. Also, who gives a **** where Golovkin wants to punch people.
    4. Revisit Golovkin's one punch KO counter on Geale.
    5. Canelo is more elusive, so what. Golovkin defends in other ways, he's not easy to nail clean for a pressure fighter. For all Canelo's head movement, Golovkin landed the more destructive headshots in both fights, regardless of skin marking.

Canelo ducked and aged Golovkin in multiple stages and was caught PED-ing for the match-up. So Canelo himself doesn't believe he's better, otherwise he wouldn't need these advantages.

3. Dementia Pugulistica

Dementia Pugulistica Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Blasphemy! I may be in the minority here, but I agree with the official results, close fights but crying robbery is hyperbole. I like both fighters, used to be a fan of Canelo, but not so much anymore, especially after aging Golovkin out. Before the rematch the Canelo camp said that they would take it to Golovkin and I thought no way, that gives Golovkin his best chance, they won't. And then they did, and won ( arguably ). I think Canelos work to Golovkins body went largely unnoticed and where was Golovkins body work. I know he can kill to the body but not so much against Canelo. I think Golovkin wins the first fight if it happens 3 years earlier. I can't see Golovkin winning the third time around. Too old now.

Ph33rknot and Somali Sanil like this.
  4. Bogotazo

Bogotazo Amateur Full Member

Oct 17, 2009
    He might be better than him now. Whether he proves to be better peak for peak, time will tell. Golovkin was already arguably past his peak in the first Canelo fight, since he had become much more of a puncher under Sanchez. He still had great technique, but his fluidity and defensive awareness was higher before he hit the big time.

5. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Canelo is a more complete* fighter than GGG.

Give Canelo GGG's stamina and power, then sure he's better than GGG.

Big Ukrainian likes this.
  6. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Peak for Peak Canelo is already far more accomplished.

Ph33rknot and 22JM like this.
  7. IsaL

Oct 7, 2006
    He doesn't need his stamina and power. He beat GGG in the rematch, has a far better resume, is clearly more skilled.

8. dangerousity

dangerousity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2005
    I agree. Isn’t Golovkin the naturally bigger man? Canelo does look more skilled. He gave up size, reach and height and won.

Ph33rknot and IsaL like this.
  9. Bogotazo

Bogotazo Amateur Full Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Better and greater are two different things.

10. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Canelo is more complete greater and better.

IsaL and acie2g like this.
  11. IsaL

Oct 7, 2006
    Many people believe GGG won both, and most people who believe GGG won scored the fight 7-5. 7-5 is a close fight.

One thing you must consider is that GGG is a lifelong MW. While Canelo was fighting at the full MW limit for the first time in his career.

In boxing, when a fighter moves up in weight they usually have a couple fights before gunning for the top Champion there. They do it to get acclimated. They have to get the feel of the MW division, the punches, and punching at that weight.

Canelo just went for it!

It's understandable that a fighter who is not acclimated to a weight division will tire a bit more, or won't know how to pace themselves at the new weight.

Even then, you can easily argue Canelo won rounds 1-3 and 10-12, making the fight a draw. Again, most people who scored it for GGG had it 7-5.. meaning, a single round flipped for Canelo makes it 6-6.

I personally scored it 7-5 for Canelo. 1-4 and 10-12, but I have no issues anyone scoring it a draw or for GGG. A lot of the rounds were that close.

He did not have ridiculous stamina, he had the same stamina he had against Angulo, Chavez Jr., Smith... Fights where he did not have to use a lot of energy using his feet chasing fighters around the ring, or using his feet for defense like in the first Golovkin fight.

In fact, prior to the GGG rematch, Canelo had never been tested that much, and it was random testing with VADA's most stringent testing program.

You're trying to find a reason to discredit Canelo's performance, but the reality is, Canelo was tested randomly leading up to the fight.

No doubt GGG is a strong puncher. His chin, and his power are his strongest assets. Punching power is not everything in boxing. Boxing is much more than two cavemen trying to break each others faces and bodies.

GGG was promoted as having Mexican style.
    GGG and Sanchez mocked Canelo for not using "Mexican style" in their first fight.
    GGG and Sanchez practically begged Canelo to fight him Mexican style and made that their side of the promotion for the rematch.
    So when Canelo obliged and gave them Mexican style in the rematch and busted up Golovkin, and Golovkin started fighting out of character, he got a bit ridiculed... for talking the talk, but not walking the walk.

These guys are lower level fighters. B level at best. Cotto had a much easier time disposing of Geale than Golovkin did... think about that.

Canelo landed like a total of three good power punches to Canelo's head in two fights. There are countless highlights of Canelo busting up GGG's face in both fights. There is NO disputing that Canelo landed a higher number of quality power punches than Golovkin in both fights. Even the stats indicate this.

Golovkin for years talked about fighting anyone between 154-168. Canelo told him he would fight him at a catchweight of 155 (which is between 154-168), GGG refused. Just like he refused to fight at 168 against Ward. GGG also took step aside money numerous times instead of enforcing his mandatory status. If anyone is too blame, its GGG.

I hope you're not a Pac fan, because if there ever was an epitome of aging a fighter, it was what Pac did to JMM.

12. IsaL

Oct 7, 2006
    Well the best way, and possibly only way to rate a fighter is based on his opposition.

13. Slyk

Slyk Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 5, 2010
    If only there were a way for the two of them to compete against each other to see who is better. They could even do it multiple times.

IsaL likes this.
  14. iii

iii Boxing Addict Full Member

May 3, 2016
    ...at using ped's..

Oddone likes this.
  15. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Pretty good for a guy who has not improved as all since age 23, huh Pimp?