Canelo is moving up to CRUISERWEIGHT

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Rakesh, Nov 16, 2021.

1. ElCyclon

ElCyclon Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Makes plenty of sense from Canelo's realistic POV. A win over a Cruiserweight champion will enhance his legacy in a way the other challenges won't. Only real challenges he has between 168-175 are, Benavidez, Bivol, Ramirez and Beterbiev and those fights are still on the table after this fight.

Joe-fist likes this.
  2. StussyBrownnn

StussyBrownnn Member Full Member

Aug 17, 2021
    but those other good fighters be ducking each other too tho... what a joke. The double standard.

3. Sheikh

Sheikh Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 4, 2007
    This fight is just a sparring session. I guarantee it will be like the Kovalev fight, just jabbing and doing nothing until a KO at the end. They will pay him off and WBC will promise to give him a high ranking after the loss. Boxing has always been mostly fixed.

4. senpai

senpai Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2021
    You give Canelo more Credit for fighting weakest champion at CW than Usyk for fighting a naturally 40 pounds bigger opponent with best resume in the division, in his hometown ?

Again, I don't have problem with Canelo, I have problem with fanboys who say that he moves great, when he is not.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  5. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Would it be smart to put on weight to fight at CW then turn around and drop back down to 168 a couple of months later to take on somebody like Benavidez back at 168? What do you think his plan is? To fight at Cruiser in May, then slowly move back down to 168, stopping at LHW in September before finally getting back down to 168 and defend his Undisputed next December? Wouldn't he have to defend his SMW Titles before then?

6. ElCyclon

ElCyclon Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Yeah, this might come back to haunt him.

7. Mordechai

Mordechai Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 18, 2008
    That's also right

8. Mordechai

Jun 18, 2008
    Nope, I would say it's just stupid. He can't beat dorticos and breidies, they are to big and powerful. Makuba is potentially an easy fight. Why is he not fighting bivol or beterbiev, if he wants so challenge himself? Because these two pose a real threat to him?!
    Imo he should fight ggg if he wins against Murata at 168. That would still be a mega fight and iko still a very close fight, but canelo will win be decision. After that move up and fight straight Beterbiev

9. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Once a fighter is above 200 lbs, I don't factor weight as much. There's a reason why there are no more weight classes above 200 lbs.

Joshua was 19 lbs heavier than Usyk. In the HW division that's not a big deal, you should know that.

19 lbs in the lower divisions can mean anywhere between 8 and 4 weight classes depending on what end.

Imagine a Bantamweight fighting a Jr. Welterweight... or a Super Welterweight fighting a Light Heavyweight.

Canelo started his career at 147, picked up his first title at 154, and now fights at 169, he probably weighs about 175 on fight night, that's 25 lbs below cruiserweight.

Why are you trying to discredit him? Regardless of what you think, very few fighters in history if any have won belts at 154 and have fought successfully at cruiserweight, so the very fact that if he goes through with this idea, win or lose, its praise worthy.

10. IsaL

Oct 7, 2006
    Why aren't Bivol and Beterbiev fighting each other is a better question.

Dubblechin and Bokaj like this.
  11. Mordechai

Jun 18, 2008
    That's also right, especially Beterbiev said a couple times he wants to fight bivol. Imo bivol doesn't fancy the Beterbiev fight

12. IsaL

Oct 7, 2006
    I don't think he'll bulk up to 200 or even 190. I think he'll just not cut any weight and fight at his fight night weight of probably 175 or 180 max.

I also think there's nothing at 168 for him anymore. My guess is he will finish his career at 175 despite being outsized, similar to Pac at 147.

If Benavidez wants Canelo he may have to move up to 175, which I think he'll have to do soon anyway, and earn his shot there.

13. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Beterbiev is the fight I'd really want to see, but still interesting challenge. Certainly more so than Charlo or GGG that some have wanted to see.

14. senpai

senpai Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2021
    Weight is a factor in any division, just watch Ruiz in the first and in the second AJ fight.

You just discredit whole HW division just to make Usyk look less impressive than Canelo. That says a lot about you.

Why don't you just admit that you were wrong and AT Least one fighter is doing great things besides Canelo ? :angel2:

15. DanielDimov

DanielDimov Jabbing all night Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Weak ass division will turn Canelo even more famous