Canelo Is Overrated

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Jayme Chavez, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Jayme Chavez

Jayme Chavez Member Full Member

Nov 15, 2018
    Why is he viewed as an elite fighter? I think he's only popular cuz he's a red headed Mexican. All of his big decision victories could have easily gone the other way (Trout, Lara, GGG, hell even the Cotto decision) He only took on GGG cuz he looked vulnerable against Brook and Jacobs, and now he's ducking top middleweights like Jacobs, Charlo and Andrade to fight some 168 fighter no one has ever heard of. I guarantee u if he looked like a typical Mexican no one would care about him.

2. Flashyo

Flashyo Member banned Full Member

May 4, 2018
    Your mom is overrated

mirkofilipovic, Thanos and 22JM like this.
  3. Jayme Chavez

Jayme Chavez Member Full Member

Nov 15, 2018
    Good one

Jamzy ⭐ likes this.
  4. Jamzy ⭐

Jamzy ⭐ Active Member Full Member

Oct 8, 2018
    yOuR'E mUMS oVeRaTeD

aHaAhA look at me, look how edgy I am.

5. Lazar

Lazar Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Ggg, Lara, Mayweather

Nuff said

BCS8, Ph33rknot, GK BOX and 1 other person like this.
  6. Angler Andrew

Angler Andrew Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Actually I don’t think he is over rated,both fights with Golovkin the majority had him losing albeit in close fights and as such he doesn’t seem to get mentioned in the same league as Lomo,Crawford and now Usyk.
    Make no mistake Canelo is an amazing,immensely viewable boxer who would get more love without dodgy scorecards and tainted meat.

BCS8, Slowhand, DoubleJab666 and 7 others like this.
  7. Wasteman

Wasteman Certified Wasteman Full Member

Jul 17, 2018
    /thread

8. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    yes and no. he is very good, definitely elite, for the era. i have him bottom half of p4p top 10, but i dont think he is done developing. i think the 2 ggg fights, each giving him 2 and completely different looks at an elite fighter, have taught canelo a lot, regardless of whether you think he won either time. i dont see him hitting his full stride for another couple years.
    the old timers here have watched canelo develop from a ryan garcia to a p4p talent. ive seen him be hype job the whole way, to some. ive watched and predicted, successfully, his career so far. if he is still at 160 in 2 years, he will rule there. his work at 168 will tell me where he peaked at as a package.

9. ellerbe

ellerbe It’s a Tank world Full Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Stop Canelo was never a Ryan Garcia talent. First Canelo fight I saw was against Mosley, and he was no Ryan Garcia then. An old Mosley would **** Ryan Garcia's twink ass up. What you have to realize is Canelo came from nothing and has been a pro since was young. He thrives for fire fights. Dude walked GGG down ffs. Ryan Garcia is scared to get hit and will always be a mid-long range fighter trying to catch his opponents with check left hooks coming in. He doesn't have that viciousness Canelo has. A Kirkland would take Ryan's heart.

Also Canelo is top 5, it's not even debatable. Name me 5 boxers you have ahead of him? The only name that's an argument is Loma. That's it, at worst Canelo is #2.

DonnyMo and Power_tek like this.
  10. ellerbe

Jul 25, 2014
    Lara and GGG 1 were the only gifts he got. He clearly beat Trout and Cotto. The fact that he came back from GGG 1 and beat GGG in their 2nd fight shows he's a p4p guy. I bet if this Canelo right now fought the Lara back then, he'd mollywhop Lara. Remember dude was like 23 or 24 when he fought Lara.

Ph33rknot and Power_tek like this.
  11. gdm

gdm Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Loma
    Bud
    Usyk

These three ahead of canelo no debate here

blackbolt396 likes this.
  12. ellerbe

Jul 25, 2014
    Nope. Usyk arguably drew against Briedis FFS. Canelo is better than him. If Usyk goes up to HW and beats a Joshua or Wilder, I'll rate him above Canelo. Bud never beat a GGG. He beats Spence, sure I'll put him ahead of Canelo.

Ph33rknot likes this.
  13. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    why dont you try larry mosely, then tell me what is it exactly that you are arguing against.
    This content is protected

14. Gennady

Gennady Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 10, 2017
    If Canelo wouldn’t be Mexican and he wouldn’t have this “special” look, he would be an unknown (not among hardcore boxing fans) top 10 middleweight like Lemieux or Stevens.
    If he would be an avarage looking Eastern European he would had 0 PPV fights.

Fact.

If GGG would be black American or Mexican he would have got the title shots at the age of 26-28 and he would be the biggest star in boxing.

Fact.

I like boxing, it’s a good sport, but it’s 50% business. In other sports it doesn’t matter at all where you came from, how big is your fan base, etc.
    That’s why UFC took over, because Dana doesn’t give a **** about these things, the best has to fight the best and that’s it.

Fact.

Enjoy Canelo-Smith in December, and Canelo-Lemieux in May.

Top 3 P4P hahahahaaaaa

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    surreal deal and Jackstraw like this.
  15. ellerbe

Jul 25, 2014
    I didn't even know who Canelo was back then. He didn't have the hype Ryan did. Majority of boxing fans know who Ryan is. And I don't get what your point of that vid was. I watched the first 2 rounds. He's obviously not the same fighter. Can Ryan improve too? Yes, but dude doesn't like being in dog fights, that's not something most fighters just develop. Like I said, Ryan will be a mid-long range fighter all of his career. Also his durability is definitely suspect, while Canelo is just granite everywhere and yes I know Jose Cotto hurt him, but Canelo recovered while Garcia got hurt by some random bum and was tumbling around the ring for the next 4-5 rounds lmao.

Canelo is a dog, Ryan is a ***** twink that's too busy making corny ass flash videos.
    This content is protected