Canelo on Critics Calling For Fights at 175: They Want To See Me Lose

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by larryx2012, Feb 25, 2021.

1. larryx2012

larryx2012 I AM BETTER THEN YOU Full Member

May 24, 2012
    WBC, WBA super middleweight champion Saul "Canelo'' Alvarez is paying no attention to the critics who believe that he needs to face some of the top talents at the light heavyweight limit of 175-pounds - like WBC, IBF champion Artur Beterbiev.

Canelo is back in the ring on Saturday night, when he faces mandatory challenger Avni Yildirim at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami, Florida.

The Mexican superstar has already booked his next fight on May 8th, likely against WBO champion Billy Joe Saunders.

Canelo is a tremendous favorite to beat Yildirim, but he's taking no chances with his upcoming opponent.

The two boxers had previously sparred in the past.

"In sparring it's totally different, it's totally something else, but he's a strong, hardened fighter who goes head-to-head. He punches, holds on a lot and doesn't step back. You always have to be careful with those kind of fighters, because with one punch they can change the fight. I'm prepared so there won't be any surprises," Canelo told George Ebro.

Canelo does not see anyone out there who can overcome his talents in the super middleweight division.

"I don't think so. I feel at my best at this stage of my career, I feel very strong, more skilful, more confident inside the ring. I don't think there's anyone who can beat me in the division,'' Canelo said.

The once-beaten boxer has captured world titles at junior middleweight, middleweight, super middleweight and light heavyweight.

Despite making a move to 175 in 2019, to capture the WBO title with a knockout of Sergey Kovalev, Canelo has no intention of returning to that weight class in the near future.

After that win, Canelo vacated the title and dropped down in weight.

"Those who don't believe in me want to see me lose [so they want me to go to 175]. That's what they want to see anyway. If it's not at this [weight of 175], they will make it another weight. What they want is to see me lose, so they can be happy. Well, obviously, I'm not going to please them," Canelo said.

HellSpawn86, 22JM and Pimp C like this.
  2. Pakkuman

Pakkuman I'm not hot. I'm just BIG. banned Full Member

Jun 26, 2019
    So Clenelo basically admitted that Shotvalev was a cherrypick.

:lol:

3. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    No Canelo all anyone want to see is YOU give a legitimate opponent an even break in a fight. You've relied on NSAC & Vegas to carry you so far just shw us you have the balls to fight on an even playing field. No catchweights, No short camps for opponents, No Ped's, & absolutely NO Vegas involvement. Show us you can do it on your own If you dare

4. infini IV

infini IV Dillian Whyte. KTFO like I said he would Full Member

Nov 13, 2013
    interestingly he claimed he originally wanted Beterbiev and NOT kovalev as per Beterbievs instagram account

This content is protected

kriszhao, Heavy_Hitter and BCS8 like this.
  5. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    ASSOL: I don't like Mikey Garcia because he title jumps not facing the best
    Also ASSOL: Canelo is testing himself by moving up taking on the best!
    :lol:

Oddone likes this.
  6. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Wow so Canelo wanted Beterbiev but Beterbiev had something else lined up. That's a little different than what was said about Canelo choosing Kovalev to avoid the best guy at the weight.

7. infini IV

infini IV Dillian Whyte. KTFO like I said he would Full Member

Nov 13, 2013
    if you look at the post Beterbievs team say they never received such an offer. Seams weird hed claim he wanted it then also claim people just want to see me lose

MannyMMA, Booker18 and BCS8 like this.
  8. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    There's some truth in what he's saying. People who want fighters to keep moving up in weight want to see them lose for the most part. Especially if it's multiple divisions. Wanting to see a fighter move up one weight class to make a fight is no big deal assuming they've never moved up in weight but wanting a guy to keep moving up, more than likely you want to see them lose. You can easily spot posters who are like this because the fighters they like they will never demand them to move up in weight and make every excuse in the book as to why they shouldn't. But with fighters they don't like they want them to move up.

MURK20, wifly, Braindamage and 5 others like this.
  9. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Is "approaching" them about a fight the same as formally making an offer?

10. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Tim Bradley said it's a virtual certainty that Beterbiev gives Canelo the beating of a lifetime.

11. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Basically "Beterbiev is the only guy that can seperate me from my senses and I am terrified of him".

Heavy_Hitter likes this.
  12. UniversalPart

Jul 1, 2010
    They "wanted" Beterbiev knowing that Beterbiev had a unification fight coming up with Gvozdyk. They made no real approach and no formal offer.

If it was genuine, Canelo would have not dropped his WBO belt at LHW and he would have approached Beterbiev again about a possible fight now that AB's fight was out of the way.

After the beatdown of Gvozdyk, Canelo did the wise and sensible thing and ran for the exit sign.

Beouche, MannyMMA, Payback87 and 7 others like this.
  13. UniversalPart

Jul 1, 2010
    The offer usually follows after approaching someone.

Neither things happened.

14. Quina74

Quina74 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Fixalev/Kovafix *

Jackman65 and Pakkuman like this.
  15. Quina74

Quina74 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 25, 2019
    He's such a *****... He's literally starting to believe what he's conned his fans into believing. This guy is the most manufactured boxer of all TIME (you can debate between MW and Canelo)

Payback87, Heavy_Hitter and BCS8 like this.