Canelo threw the Mayweather fight!

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Bigdog2002, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Manfred

Manfred Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 22, 2011
    Never said who the troll was, are you confessing?

2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Nah he tried, and failed

3. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Lets unravel what you're saying here. The fight was very clearly rigged for Mayweather to win. From the obvious stuff like the catchweight or no fight Mayweather demand, to Oscar not being in attendence during fight week, supposedly he was in reheb, how the fight was negotiated and promoted was clearly in favor of Mayweather.

It seems pretty obvious that De La Hoya did not want Canelo to take the fight, because of the disadvantages he would be at fighting Mayweather in Vegas on Floyd's home turf under the Mayweather banner. I mean it was a TMT promoted event, with Oscar out of the picture during fight week, Canelo was drained to a ridiculous 152 lb catchweight. It was very personal for Floyd to get this victory since Canelo was promoted by Oscar, and Floyd pulled out all the stops to give himself advantages to make it easier for him to win.

However where you go from all that to Canelo "threw the fight", what facts do you have to make that claim, that Canelo was somehow in on it ? Why would Canelo intentionally throw the fight so Mayweather would win ? I don't buy that, and you'll have to provide some better "facts" to make that claim. Canelo though clearly put up with everything Mayweather threw at him, which was not smart tactically but it was the only way he would get Floyd in the ring, so he made massive consessions to make the fight. Accusing him of being in on the Mayweather's charade though, that doesn't make any sense, as it didn't benefit him. All the shenanigans that went on benefitted Mayweather, you or your source may be confusing Canelo agreeing to the fight catchweight and all as him "throwing the fight" but really that's just another way to say that Canelo was at a massive disadvantage there and it contributed to Mayweather winning. The criticism here needs to be directed where it belongs : at Mayweather / TMT for being unprofessional in making demands out of Canelo due to their feud with Oscar. Oscar advised Canelo not to take the fight because he knew the knd of stuff Mayweather would demand and pull to make it easier for him to win. But it surely led to Oscar being not in attendence during fight week, in rehab or whatever. Something really happened there and I'd be interested to hear what your source knows about what really went on.

As far as TMT / Mayweather / Haymon / Schaffer having DLH by the balls and putting Canelo at big disadvantages making it nearly impossible for him to win, that was obvious. Canelo's fighting spirit to want to take on the best was the only thing that made that fight happen, against the advice of DLH, which was the only way Mayweather would fight him because Floyd was obviously terrified of fighting Canelo in a fair fight.

YCGS likes this.
  4. Bigdog2002

Bigdog2002 Active Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2018
    I just watched the khan-Barrera fight as well. It looks fishy.

5. Bigdog2002

Oct 19, 2018
    I don’t know man he said Oscar had a fit when the decision that canelo would lose to mayweather was made. He said that was the beginning of the end for golden boy and Al Haymon. I’m watching the fights he mentioned and it looks more and more obvious. I have been a gemelo fan but man this really makes me wonder if his whole career has been fake.

6. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Neither Mayweather or Canelo give opponents a fair fight in Vegas

Birmingham likes this.
  7. YCGS

YCGS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Good post.
    I feel that most fans underestimate the difference 2 lbs can make. These athletes are in elite shape and often struggle to make the weight they fight at. Losing 2 lbs for the average person is a joke, but when you have dropped all you can safely drop and then have to drop 2 more lbs it is not an easy task. The money fighters (ODH in his prime, Floyd, Manny, Wlad etc.) all take advantage of it to stack the deck.

2012 - Floyd fights Cotto at 154 (presumably thinking he was shot) saying "We don't do catchweights" and Cotto does better than most thought.

2013 - Says he'll fight Canelo but at 152 because a couple years prior, Canelo said he would fight Floyd at 150 and team Mayweather and all his idiot fanbase kept repeating the same thing over and over and over despite the fact it was obvious Canelo was a big 154'er at that time.

Hanz Cholo likes this.
  8. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    No. Floyd just cherry-picked that boy before he got older, as he knew Canelo would end up being a - its tough to say- great fighrer.

Birmingham and Hanz Cholo like this.
  9. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    bigdog might be onto something give him a chance.

Birmingham and pacas like this.
  10. sid

sid Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2013
    I go along with this.
    (Floyd just cherry-picked that boy before he got older)

Hanz Cholo likes this.
  11. Hanz Cholo

Hanz Cholo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    I always thought it was a stupid strategy to try and out box Mayweather for Canelo, when it was obvious to All that the only real advantage for NELO was his size & youth his strategy should have been to cutoff the ring, get inside & Bang take 2-3 shots to land his own Chavez Style.

Idk if he threw it or his footwork just wasn’t there at the time, but he definitely tried to out box instead of bang, bad idea.

Maybe BigDog can ask his people what the logic was in canelos inner circle?

sid likes this.
  12. expljose

expljose Active Member Full Member

Nov 6, 2013
    that was a mirror at an apple bees you was talking too .. you were drunk on dollarita night .. and no you're not in the inner circle so stop saying that

FuMaster and pacas like this.
  13. Ilesey

Ilesey ~ Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    STFU you anus invader.

14. Bigdog2002

Oct 19, 2018
    I never said I was in the inner circle!!! I can care less what you think buddy! I grew up in Southern California!!! Know plenty of people! Moved here to Vegas for work related to what I’m speaking of!!! I’m not in anyone’s circle but mine you hear!

15. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Well, if you want to count fighting the wrong fight as throwing the fight, then yes.

Canelo thought he could box with Floyd. He couldn't.

If he'd gone after Floyd, Maiden style, I think he could have beaten the smaller man.

But he didn't, and he lost.

9-3 or 10-2.