Canelo v Callum Smith

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, Dec 18, 2020.

Who've you got and how?

Poll closed Dec 20, 2020.
  1. Smith points

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. Smith KO/TKO

11 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Canelo points

14 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Canelo KO/TKO

39 vote(s)
    59.1%
  5. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Smith is getting too much credit. I wanted him to win and thought he had the tools, I still think he had as good a chance as any at SMW had he not been so weight drained. He was pushing his shots from the first minute. That had nothing to do with Canelo being p4p best. That’s his fault. Canelo didn’t have to do anything good last night and that’s Smith’s fault. Had he had the speed and zip he had in the past the fight could have been different. He needed to move up after GG. Let’s be honest Canelo was hitting arms, hips and borderline testicles for the first 8 rounds. Very few shots of note were landing. Smith should have moved up, can’t blame him as he obviously wanted the money.

Carlton Cole, gollumsluvslave and pow like this.
  2. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    People need to stop sugar coating this. You had a guy who is a natural light middleweight against a guy who is a natural light heavyweight with the latter allowing himself to be walked down and pushed back all night without imposing his size or power on the little man. Callum was supposed to be 'the man of the division' and Canelo absolutely wiped the floor with him. He was badly exposed, completely awestruck and applauding Canelo's work mid fight. He resigned himself that staying on his feet for the distance was in fact a victory in itself, holding on in the 12th when you are 10 rounds down on the cards and looking up at the clock to see how long is left. Gallagher was also clueless offering little to nothing in the corner between rounds except I'm going to give you one more round. These guys were beaten before they got in the ring.

3. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2020
    Personally I never really rated Smith that highly, and think the Groves win made his resume look better than he really is.

Go back and watch the Skoglund fight, Smith was eating shots all night.

That said, Canelo's defense was extremely high quality - Smith very rarely hit him clean - but Smith wasn't quick enough.

Go back to the original 168 Super Six, would Smith have beaten ANY of the original 6 line up? Maybe Abraham & Taylor? But Not Ward, Froch or Kessler IMO.

Canelo did what he had to do, and looked good doing it, but Smith I think made him look a lot better than he was in reality.

crixus85 likes this.
  4. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Thanks for the credit Jurgen! The Plank has got guts though. He took a shellacking last night and never quit. Fair dues. Was never in the fight though.

Scissors and kojak like this.
  5. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    Canelo is very very good. You have to understand boxing to fully appreciate the subtle things he does. I'd like to see him against Ryder. I think a fully motivated Ryder could ask questions of Canelo that others haven't. (As a separate issue its great to see an Irishman at pfp No 1! ( No way do I consider the freckled red haired one Mexican, he's as Irish as bacon spuds and cabbage! C'mon man!)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    Glenn McKrory, Scissors and N17 like this.
  6. murphman22

murphman22 Active Member Full Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Does everyone agree that the tactics/execution were just a mess last night. I didn’t give Smith a sniff but it is possible to win the early rounds behind the jab v Canelo as he isn’t that active. However Smith didn’t even try to establish the jab after the first 90 seconds.

kojak likes this.
  7. chrisbonnie

chrisbonnie Active Member Full Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Are your belittling the master tactician that goes by the name of Joe Gallagher??.

kojak likes this.
  8. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    Jurgen is correct. It was I, Superlenny, who coined the term Plank. You could learn a lot from Jurgen. Very entertaining poster who knows his stuff. Read a few more of peoples posts before leaping to judgement son. Just saying...

Glenn McKrory likes this.
  9. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I will say it again..

They all knew it was being negotiated and would eventually be made official, especially after BJS ruled himself out months ago.

Smith, Gallagher and Hearn said months ago Smith was training like he WAS fighting in December.

So Ok, yes, Officially it was short, behind the scenes it wasn't.

Also we are in crazy pandemic times, these are not normally circumstances, fighters are a day away from fights and then they are cancelled due to failed Covid tests, take all that in to consideration also.

And yes, Canelo is P4P number 1. I don't even like the man, I have given him tons of stick over the years, slaughtered him for his failed test and other stuff but I can't deny reality.

Heisenberg, kojak and Carlton Cole like this.
  10. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2020
    I'm sure I heard Gallagher in between one of the middle rounds telling Mundo he was WINNING. WTF??

11. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    :facepalm:

Fhaggis and N17 like this.
  12. Little brian

Little brian Active Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2019
    :duh

13. Joshua

Joshua New Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Every time one of joe’s lads stepped up to world level championship title fights the tactics they use are dreadful the first few rounds last night were there to be taken by Smith, Canelo was even beating Smith to the jab FFS

lencoreastside likes this.
  14. smithshaun

smithshaun Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Dont call me son you *****... who the **** are you?

So you coined the term plank did you ? well done for that ,that degree in English literature obviously paying off I see.

Yes he may be entertaining I'm just stating he is also like a broken record, everything is Tony dosh this tony dosh ppv that, plank , pudding etc.

Yeah I see what you mean now superlenny such wonderful insight, i take it all back please can we all have some more jurgen....

You correctly predicted Canelo would win, well done einstein.

15. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    I tell you with no false modesty I probably have forgotten more about boxing than you will ever know. I will share it with you son in a spirit of generosity ok? I will explain to you exactly why Smith lost.
    In order to win Smith needed, as a bare minimum to be able to do at least one of the following 2 things.

1. Win the fight at long range.
    2. Make Canelo pay every time he tried to close.

Smith wasn't good enough to do either, so he lost.

Clarkey likes this.