Canelo v. Hagler's Top Middleweight Opponents?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mrkoolkevin, Aug 14, 2016.

1. kingfisher3

kingfisher3 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 9, 2011
    canelo v hamsho has the potential to be a great fight.

2. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    No way.

3. slash

slash Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 15, 2012
    when is the last time canelo fought at 160?

4. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Probably when he was still a kid. These days he usually comes to the ring closer to 175.

5. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    Why not? Is the Vito who weighed in at 158 the day of his fights against Hagler just too big for the Canelo who weighs in at 155 the day before his fights? And what about the Hamsho who weighed in at 158 against Scypion and Benitez? :think

6. Mod-Mania

Mod-Mania Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Antuofermo and Minter both had a tendancy to cut so Canelo may win that way otherwise they both beat him as does Hamsho. Sibbo was inconsistent so I'd give give Canelo a chance here depending on what Sibson shows up.

7. Mod-Mania

Mod-Mania Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Good god your a pretty big Canelo fan!

8. slash

slash Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 15, 2012
    that's cute

and he officially weighed in at 160 against a 160 opponent when?

never

9. lora

lora Fighting Zapata Full Member

Feb 17, 2010
    I don't think he'd do particularly well.He's a good solid junior middle\small middle and would have fit in well enough with the 154 scene in the 80s without being dominant.

The tight or competitive fights he's had with the likes of Lara, Trout and the at 154 highly ordinary Cotto and washed up one punch at a time Mosley already highlight far too many flaws for me to think of him putting together a good run at 160.

Someone like Sibson did everything Canelo does as far as throw nice textbook combinations and show sound upper-body movement, but also wasn't completely static from the waist down...showing nice footwork and balance, and had MUCH more power than Alvarez.

Can't see Canelo winning battles of attrition with the likes of Sibbo, Roldan or Mugabi tbh, but they'd be good fights.

10. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Golden Boy has sheltered Canelo. Those bad "basses" that Hagler had to beat would maul and beat-up Canelo. Canelo would be TKO'ed in most of the fights.

11. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    In addition to Canelo, there are a few 154-lb boxers fighting today who I would pick to beat most (if not all) of the men on this list.

12. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Canelo would be moving up in weight here so his strength and endurance would be a question.

How good do we class Canelo? Very hard to say. He got schooled by Mayweather but has beaten everyone else.

I just don't know what to make of Canelo. He gets unfairly judged because of the situation with Golovkin so I don't know how to rate him right now.

13. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    Moving up in weight class but not really moving up in weight. Canelo probably fights at a higher (in-ring) weight than any of them. Probably a bigger man than guys like Tony Sibson and Vito, for example.

14. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I'm not fully sure.

Canelo has a bigger fight night weight than Bob Foster some nights but I don't think he's a bigger man than Bob.

I don't know how accurate or meaningful these fight night weights are.

Chavez was heavier than Rocky sometimes but I doubt he'd be able to compete with him in the ring.

15. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    You think that Sibson might be bigger than Canelo? If so, why?

I'm not just going by post-fight weight: Canelo just looks like a much bigger man to me (without even considering his height advantage). For example, in his pre-fight training footage, he looks a fit, muscular 175/180lbs.