Canelo vs Callum Smith

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by keysey, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I'm just not feeling this one. I can't see any way the reduced preparation time for Callum doesn't translate into conditioning issues. Couple that with the doubts about him staying at SMW and Canelo's scorecard advantage and it seems like a bridge too far.

Greg Price99, DJN16 and Twentyman like this.
  2. ipitythefool

ipitythefool Prediction ? Pain Full Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Will be interesting to see how buffed up Clenelo is. He's had the whole lockdown to munch away on Mexican beef. We might see monster ginger.

moog likes this.
  3. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Interestly Callum Smith is meant to be eating 3700 calories a day this week, had two breakfasts yesterday as weight that good. YouTube interviewers seeing him sitting drinking coffees in hotel. Doesnt look like he is struggling weight wise. Something many including me was concerned about. I bet Team Canelo were banking on it.

Twentyman likes this.
  4. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Exactly, and this is my reservation about Callum’s chances...he’s had to float around the weight for the best part of a year waiting for the phone to ring. Canelo knew he could take the p*** with the last minute phone call and whoever the opponent was would have jumped at it. He knows exactly how to play the game. He knows 4 weeks is not enough for any opponent, guaranteed he’s not had a 4 week camp.

EJC83 and Holler like this.
  5. moog

Mar 12, 2012
    Could not agree more. I seen Smith's nutritionist said he is 5'8 and was surprised he was a little taller than Canelo who is listed as 5'9 in boxrec. In reality their is around 8 inch height difference and 8-10 inch reach advantage.

6. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    Just seen your post after I posted mine. Thing is, bud, 3700 sounds a lot but he’s a professional athlete in camp. Remember the stories about Michael Phelps diet at the 2008 Olympic Games? He was apparently on around 7000-8000 a day. Cyclists do something similar (I think). Me and you are supposed to do 2500 just to stay healthy and doesn’t consider much exercise in that.

kojak likes this.
  7. moog

Mar 12, 2012
    I agree that Canelo makes people constantly work, but it's more mental than physical like with Ryder. That will suit Smith. Smith's jab will be very important but I agree so will hooks. One tactic and approach wont work in this fight as both fighters will adjust during fight.
    If Callum went into the Ryder fight without complacency he would have hammered him. Unfortunately Callums weaknesses and bad performances come when he expected to have an easy nights work. When the opposite is true he always performs. He will come in heavier for this fight, will be razor sharp and relaxed. He has perfect temperament for mega fights as he is so laid back and confident so not burning off nervous energy. This fight will he the best fight in the world this year. Both guys in prime, both ring magazine champions, both can fight in different ways. It will be super competitive regardless who wins. I just think the good big one will beat the good little one. Callum is seen as World class and Canelo elite. I just think when it matters most Callum Smith will prove he is an elite p4p fighter too. I think it's in him, but he has to prove it. He has the stage to do so.

channy and Twentyman like this.
  8. moog

Mar 12, 2012
    He isnt in camp as such its now, since he got to America and has tapered down training.

Twentyman likes this.
  9. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    Ah didn’t know that. Come on Callum lad!!!

moog likes this.
  10. moog

Mar 12, 2012
    Just watched weigh in, Callum exactly 168ib. Both looked good.

11. Mod-Mania

Mod-Mania Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 12, 2012
    I don't like Canelo at all so it pains me to say this but he's too basic to beat Canelo, he needed a gift to beat john Ryder FFS. Canelo wins a wide UD or late stoppage, it would make my day if i'm wrong though.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    Smudge_ likes this.
  12. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Can we put this myth to bed with him?

Whenever he hasn't obliterated an opponent, he has looked like he runs out of ideas. He just isn't as good as people think he is. His stoppages are impressive as is his punching power and his finishing is top level, no denying that.

It's nothing to do with not getting up for certain fighters, that's just an excuse 99% of fighters use when they haven't been able to put in a dominate performance people expect.

Seen it time again with him, with the kickboxer, with the small argentine fighter he fought, Blackledge (managed to almost go the distance with him), Skoglund to a degree (who barely threw anything other than a jab when he had gained a bit of a foothold and caused Smith problems).

When he hasn't managed to hurt an opponent and there able to tough it out, he has been less than impressive and this isn't against world class fighters.

And for the record, I think Canelo is a bit overated but he is a very good fighter with an elite skillset.

13. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    I thought Smith looked gaunt and physically weak at the weight in. I think Canelo has an easy night tomorrow, seeing an anti climax with Smith going out with a whimper

14. blues87

blues87 Member Full Member

Sep 18, 2009

15. wreckthehouse

wreckthehouse New Member banned Full Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Are people not massively overestimating Canelo's power above 160 ?

Kovalev didn't have much left and Fielding was never an elite 168 lb'er.

Its not like he was destroying the best middleweights he was in against.

Smith will go the distance in a good competitive fight.