Canelo vs Marvin Hagler

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Longhhorn71, May 10, 2017.

1. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    This fight is a really tough one to call but after long and careful consideration, I think Marvin does it on round four not five.

I know Canelo is ginger but, even so, this fight is cruel.

2. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    When did I accuse anyone of lying? Ah already responded

3. Clinton

Jan 22, 2009
    If you say so. Vito was never kod. Stopped on cuts but never kod. If you think Vito gets kod by Canelo, God bless.

4. Clinton

Jan 22, 2009
    The Duran that fought Hagler would expose and embarrass Canelo

5. Radrook

Radrook Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2017
    How? Duran didn't have the speed nor boxing skills that Canelo has. Canelo would get tagged less than Hagler did because he fights defensively while Hagler wanted to trade. You also speak about exposing. Exactly what is it that you think that Canelo hasn't been revealing?

6. Radrook

Feb 24, 2017
    No, I don't think that Vito gets Kod by Canelo.

7. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Canelo would no longer be a ladies man after Marv was done with him.

8. Radrook

Feb 24, 2017
    Who cares what that dudes love life is man? I don't really give a ****!

9. Clinton

Jan 22, 2009
    Useless footwork, overrated power. This is a guy that lost to clearly smaller Mayweather. And Duran didn't have the boxing skills Canelo has, lol? If you say so. Cheers

Flash24 and Thread Stealer like this.
  10. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    I think anyone who's watched the fight game over 15 yrs know Hagler would destroy Canelo (he may even beat his ass today) A better question would be how would he do against some of the Jr. Middles/Super welters of the day. M.Mccallum, T.Norris, Hearns,A Ready to fight Benitez, Mugabi,J.Jackson,Duran ,Trinidad, and many other very good fighters from the 80's thur the 90's. Personally. I think he losses to all the fighters I mentioned if their ready to fight. With his best chance would be Norris because of that shaky chin.

11. Bill1234

Bill1234 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Bad match for Canelo. He tends to go defensive against people who are accurate and can neutralize his offence. Marvin was a brilliant boxer puncher who would get his shots off first and be able to counter whenever Canelo tried throwing back at him. Marvin also has the size, strength, power, and overall ability advantage.

12. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    With Norris, there's always the chance Norris gets himself DQ'd also. Duran definitely lost some speed & power (and overall effectiveness) once he got to 154, but he's still got a big skill and talent edge on Alvarez, plus Alvarez doesn't have the style to exploit Duran's weaknesses. Duran would probably had trouble with the slick, mobile fighters like El Radar and The Gifted One, or an insane mixture of power, reach, height, and speed in The Hitman.

Mugabi of the mid 80s would be favored against Canelo. Canelo could probably beat the early 90s Mugabi though.

How do think Canelo does against David Reid? Or in the 160 lb. division of the late 80s/early 90s?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  13. Radrook

Feb 24, 2017
    Clearly smaller? Canelo wasn't bigger than Floyed in that fight. They weighed the same. In fact, he sacrificed power in that stupid way.
    Imagine Duran fighting Mayweather. Do you really think that Duran would have done as well as Canelo did? Place Canelo against Hector Camacho, I don't see Canelo getting outpointed like Duran did. It would be like a chess match with each one landing and not a one side affair. Same with Sugar Ray Leanard.

14. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Mayweather is smaller than Canelo.
    Prime Duran beats Mayweather.

15. Clinton

Jan 22, 2009
    How old was Duran when he fought Camacho? How many fights had he had up to that point? How close to his prime was he? Are you joking?

Eddie Ezzard and Man_Machine like this.