Canelo vs Saunders confirmed for the 8th of may

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by anjawnaymiz, Feb 27, 2021.

1. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Very much doubt Canelo will KO Saunders, I would be very impressed if he gets a KO.

2. dryzer

dryzer Active Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2017
    It's not just Saunders recent fights though he stunk the gaff out, it's most of them

3. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    I agree Saunders will win some rounds. He has too much talent not to. It’s not like Canelo is unbeatable. Golovkin won at least 1 fight. Amir Kahn won every round until he got caught. I caught the last few rounds of his fight against Kovalev and the commentators and bookies odds thought Kovalev was winning.

My worry would be his inactivity. I think he’ll gas in the second half of the fight and Canelo will get the job done somehow.

CutThroatFade likes this.
  4. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    I think Saunders may gas and do you remember that 1/100 fight Saunders had when his legs went to jelly? That doesn’t bode well.

Scissors likes this.
  5. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    I had Kovalev up as well mate, and yes Amir was exceptional in the first couple of rounds although that was largely to do with pure handspeed and after the third round Canelo got used to it and was timing him.

But the point remains he can indeed be outboxed and lose rounds so it’s hardly outlandish to suggest Saunders will take some rounds. I personally see him landing at will early on but he needs to sit on those punches and throw combinations to gain his respect.

pow and Here's Johnny like this.
  6. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    In my opinion, Saunders boxing ability is one of the most exaggerated / overhyped things in boxing. He’s had one stand out performance against Lemieux. Since he got caught cheating, he’s been slow, ponderous, questionable engine, low work rate, just terrible all round really.

Canelo on the other hand just gets better every fight, last night was superb - he won’t get credit for it because of his opponent but he was so clinical and spiteful, sitting on every punch, really trying to hurt Yildrim from the off.

Saunders doesn’t have the power to keep Canelo off him, them little flicks won’t deter him. Canelo’s punch selection is superb, the body shots, lead uppercuts, left and right hooks he throws, his counter punching is second to none, he’s got serious power no matter what weight he fights at and he’s become a master of cutting down the ring too. He’s hands down the best boxer in the world for me, I really can’t see any chinks in his armour.

7. Cookiedough

Cookiedough Active Member Full Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Off recent form, Canelo all day long. I believe this is the fight that everyone will remember Billy Joe for. Billy needs to turn up and put it on the line. I think he will. Interesting fight if the best Billy Joe turns up.

8. GTFUP

GTFUP Active Member Full Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Canelo will take him apart bit by bit and finish him brutally in the late rounds. By the time this fight comes Saunders will be public enemy No1 cos he can’t help himself so Canelo will provide the KO most will want.

lefthook82 likes this.
  9. Clark81

Clark81 Slumped in his corner Full Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Saunders will pull out of this fight.

Mind you, he'll be getting a few quid so maybe not

10. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    It's simple really, BJS has been way too inactive and doesn't look after his body enough outside the gym.

Canelo on the other hand.

11. Boon

Boon Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 2, 2015
    Saunders is so overrated it is comical.

The low class vermin is nothing special at all. Canelo, a person whom I detest probably more than Saunders, will dominate him, and that's without the help of the referee, judges and other other dubious tactics.

Canelo will probably be pumped full of Mexican beef and HGH etc. so I guess there is some "help" that he will rely upon.

Scissors likes this.
  12. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    When you looks at BJS resume and fight performances it baffles me how still today his built up as some kind of threat.

Worse is when people refer to the Lara fight as some sort of indicator of how Canelo could struggle v BJS.

I mean seriously the Canelo that fought Lara is not the Canelo will see today.

BJS is in for a rude awakening when pretty much from the get go his going to realise just how good, how strong and how powerful Canelo is.

DJN16, Twentyman, nurological and 3 others like this.
  13. Oreet Cha!

Oreet Cha! I know what I like and I like what I know. Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Even if the inevitable does happen, BJS still has the CEJ fight to fall back upon.

He won't retire after this fight as someone earlier suggested due to the above. All about the money, money, money...

14. Skyver

Skyver Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Yep he will be on his bike as soon as he feels canelo's power imo.easy work for ginger pubes.

Boon likes this.
  15. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    I do not think Canelo carries as much power as people think, what he does have is superb accuracy and timing. There were serious question marks about Kovalevs lifestyle outside the ring (drink and drugs) and he went life and death with amateur Yarde the fight before. Note that since this fight, Canelo wants no part of 175. Smith, Fielding and Yildrim are as a predictable as they come and were tailor made for Canelo, Fielding and Yildrim were both packing serious glass and he could not get Callum out of there despite doing damage (accuracy, timing). Jacobs, a solid fighter with pedigree he could not get out of there, so in his last 8 fights he has stopped 2 opponents, Fielding and Yildrim. After this you have to go to Liam Smith, a solid domestic guy who was stepping up and Amir Khan who needs no explanation, you land cleanly on that chin and it shatters doesn't matter if you are Canelo or Stevie Saunders. After that it's James Kirkland in 2015 a great KO but a fighter who has since been proven to be china chinned.

Let me summarise, since fighting Mayweather in 2013:
    • Kirkland (proven glass)
    • Khan (legendary glass)
    • Smith (solid domestic level)
    • Fielding (proven glass)
    • Kovalev (damaged goods)
    • Yildrim (KO by by Eubank Jr)

So people who are saying Billy joe is overrated, I would say Canelo's power is overrated. Hardly monster power to me. As I said, I will be very surprised if Canelo gets a KO against Sanders.

Here's Johnny likes this.