Canelo will be easier to hit and beat than Plant

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by DoubleM, Mar 26, 2023.

1. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    He fought Chavez Jr.

mark ant likes this.
  2. hoopsman

hoopsman Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2005
    Canelo will be easier to track down and close the distance on, but he's still pretty resourceful defensively.

I suspect some of Canelo's defensive approach will be the ever present threat of his short, sharp counterpunching ability. In other words, Benavidez will likely have to be more judicious with his offense out of respect for Canelo's return fire, particularly to the body.

Bokaj and Savagekat like this.
  3. bjl12

bjl12 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Sep 26, 2012
    The only advantage Benavidez has is the jab. Canelo will close the distance and maul David. It will look funny watching Benavidez trying to run from Canelo lmfao

And Canelo sons David if he has anything left

IsaL likes this.
  4. blackfella96

blackfella96 Active Member Full Member

Jul 10, 2019
    I think it'll look a lot like Canelo vs Callum Smith. I didn't rate Benavidez range skills against Plant, jab and straight were not solid and mainly had success from in-fighting, hooks and uppercut, which work more into Canelo's favour
    That's the only Benavidez fight I've watched though so may be a bad assumption

5. jmb1356

jmb1356 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 30, 2019
    He said that "I don't fight Mexicans" in the last couple of years. Wonder who he's referring to?

6. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    And Angulo and Lopez and was going to fight Ortiz before he lost to Lopez. So I hope the fight happens in September because I have no interest in a Bivol rematch.

Bokaj likes this.
  7. Reg

Reg Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Canelo doesn't need fast feet to make Benevidez miss, he can do it standing still. Also, Plant took far more shots from Benavidez than he did from Canelo. Plants holding was very ineffective.

8. James Page

James Page Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 21, 2023
    We shall see . Aside from Bivol I have not at all been impressed with Canelos level of comp lately.
    Now he's fighting another barista from Yorkshire or somewhere...
    It's really getting old. I hope David beats him and retires him

9. MetalLicker

MetalLicker Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I think people are underestimating Benavides’s rapid combinations. Canelo is usually good at countering single shots, but when multiple shots are coming is way, he usually goes into a defensive position.

Look at how Bivol was able to intimidate Canelo with combinations and put him in a defensive position. I believe Benavidez’s combination punching will discourage Canelo from countering too often. His cement feet means that Benavidez will have an easier time getting into punching position than he did against the more mobile Plant.

I really believe that Benavidez is a bad matchup for Canelo.

mark ant, DoubleM and jmb1356 like this.
  10. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    He has made these statements within the past few years

11. Stiff Jab

Stiff Jab Despiser of Super-Middleweights Full Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Ah yes, Canelo Alvarez; well-known for being flat-footed and lacking in evasive movement and counterpunching. I just don't see how he competes, really.

mark ant and ElCyclon like this.
  12. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Unlike Caleb Plant's shoulder roll, range and movement based defense, Canelo doesn't have to run, he can stand in the pocket, make his opponent miss, counter them with blistering combinations that all land clean, which in turn inhibits them from throwing, so that means his offense is also his defense. Caleb Plant lies awake at night dreaming that had the defense of Canelo Alvarez. While I think the size and relentlessness and David Benavidez could be problematic for Alvarez, and that he can possibly out work him or at least give the appearance that he is, but at the end of the night Canelo Alvarez's face will be near spotless. He's perhaps one of the most defensively gifted fighters in the sport.

Caliboxing, lobk, BCS8 and 2 others like this.
  13. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Have to say that Canelo might just clap those cheeks if he fights DB. At the moment the only real thing DB has going for him is size and late fight gas tank.

bjl12 likes this.
  14. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Benavidez has better work-rate and stamina than Canelo because Saul has to put everything into every shot.

15. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Plant clinched to survive v Benevidez he didn`t need to do that v Canelo until getting caught at the end.