Canelo would DEMOLISH BJS

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by notjustacasual, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Post of the thread and possibly the year. Completely objective and spot on about the pro’s and con’s of Fury.

Clarkey, Wizbit1013 and Jacko like this.
  2. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    So we're all in agreement Fury schooled Wlad :D

3. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Punch stats with Fury are a weird one, in that he admittedly doesn’t get hit much but nor does he land much at all. You can of course show fantastic ring generalship whilst landing more than eight punches a round.

The recent Prograis Taylor fight was an interesting example of where stats show you can’t tell the full story. Prograis landed more than Taylor in some rounds but it felt to many he clearly didn’t win the round. I think Fury Wilder was a bit like that. Wilder landed two less or so but do three power punches whilst chasing your opponent count for more than five tip tap jabs? Depends what you like as the cliche goes.

4. Hattonmad

Jan 5, 2009
    Fury generally lands more punches per round than his opponent but in addition this this, he makes the opponent miss which is scoring work. So he's getting the better of the opponent offensively and defensively. It's called boxing; the art of hitting and not getting hit. It's not called 'Knockouts' or 'punch stats'

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  5. Jacko

Jacko Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Cheers, mate. Good to see another Liverpool fan around here.

Scissors likes this.
  6. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    I’m not sure the Mayweather example works in fairness. I get the point in a way, but Floyd never went down when he stepped up in weight even against considerable punchers. Fury has been decked badly by Wilder as well as against lesser types like Pajkic and Cunningham. If he was a defensive genius I wouldn’t necessarily assume Wilder would be dropping him twice.

7. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    I understand that, but the point is a simple one; you can land fewer punches than your opponent and still win the round. Some will look at heavier punches which cause more damage as being worth more than a few light jabs.

I said before the Wilder fight and stand by the notion that Fury will be prone to losing close rounds on the basis that his output is so minimal. Lennox Lewis as a comparison was a guy who could utterly dominate rounds off the jab.

8. Jacko

Jacko Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 25, 2008
    The Mayweather analogy was more about his and Fury's mindset, and ultimately, how this would affect their respective game plans.

Their mindset and game plans are similar, broudly speaking. Unfortunately, Fury was dropped by Wilder because, as good as he is, he is no Mayweather. Few are. Still, regardless of the outcome, their initial game plans are similar.

Little brian and Clarence Gianni like this.
  9. Hattonmad

Jan 5, 2009
    Fury rarely does land less than his opponent. He knows what he needs to do to win a round. If that's only two or three more punches landed, it's still enough, especially when he's controlling the pace and making the opponent miss. He doesn't need to land ten more shots to win a round because he's doing a lot more than throwing punches.

10. Hattonmad

Jan 5, 2009
    Nobody thinks Fury is as great as Mayweather or ever will be However, comparisons can be made. Two conservative boxers who can make the best look silly.

It's worth noting that Floyd never had to protect 260 pounds of body, nor was he ever hit by a heavyweight. Correct me if I'm wrong, but every heavyweight champion in history had heavy knockdowns. That's why heavyweight boxing is different to every other weight. If you get caugh with a full blooded shot you're very likely to go down.

11. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    I agree it was no schooling

That would suggest they have very little clue

Not sure if your suggesting i said as such?

12. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    I’m not sure every heavyweight champion even went down never mind went down heavily. Vitali was never on the deck, and neither was Valuev. Oliver McCall had a famous chin, and I’m fairly certain was never dropped despite going in with some monster punchers. Not sure if that ever happened to him in his later career mind you as he fought for a long time.

13. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Pretty sure Valuev was knocked down once.

14. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    This content is protected

Twentyman likes this.
  15. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Just shows what Eddie can do for your career. Canelo wouldn’t even say his name in the past. I would love to see this fight.

Hattonmad and Scissors like this.