Canelo

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by kevinreid001, Jan 22, 2022.

1. kevinreid001

kevinreid001 Punchdrunk101 Full Member

Nov 1, 2012
    If canelo were to beat beterbiev where would that place him in the all time greats.

Question marks over amount influence he has (let's be honest maywether did same so did klitschos of course give u self any advantage) and tainted beef but for a resume it would be ridiculous.

2. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
  3. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Think that would elevate him massively but beterbiev is 37 years old at the end of the day. But would probably be his biggest achievement by a good way tbf. Hes going down as one of the very best of his generation for sure. But the stuff hes doing atm beating billy joe....beating callum smith....caleb plant etc in my eyes is no more of an achievement as beating an ageing golovkin even at the heavier weight. Think beterbiev at light heavy would be his biggest achievement tho...but its still gonna be hard for him to surpass say mayweather after mayweather beat him without too much trouble. But tbf mayweather must be pretty high in the all time great list himself.

kevinreid001, ButeTheBeast and Jurgen like this.
  4. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Many on her criticise Calzaghe and Fury for having a poor resume (copyright @Mitch87) and surely Canelo has a better CV than Fraud given he is wiping out great fighters AT THEIR PEAK.

deltabravo, Astro and destruction like this.
  5. Whytesnake

Whytesnake Armchair GOAT Full Member

Apr 3, 2021
    It certainly puts him up there as the greatest Mexican. This fight won’t happen though. Canelo is picking opponents like Floyd down later in his career. A winnable fight yes , but it would be brutally earned

kevinreid001 likes this.
  6. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    I wouldn't say he's wiping out GREAT fighters. Some pretty decent fighters but his SMW opponents, good wins but no great fighters. The fact he was barely beating a faded, quick turnaround Kovalev until he wiped him out spoke volumes for me.

Same as his two so called wins against Golovkin.

Personally think Canelo is very good but overated to a large degree also. He loses a lot of rounds compared to other great fighters, against not the same standard of competition.

7. smithshaun

smithshaun Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I think canelo is good not great, he has beat a few good fighters but he lost both fights to ggg in my opinion lost to lara as well , lost to mayweather, no shame in that.

I think he is getting loads of respect beating average fighters, his super middle weight demolition of Saunders ( a middleweight fighting at super due to lack of commitment)

Caleb plant , average fighter couldn't knock the skin of a rice pudding and then calum Smith, good fighters but completely drained at the weight when they fought doesn't make him great in anyway in the super middleweight division.

So I my eyes canelo has 4 loses and wouldn't stand a chance against against somebody like srl or calazghe , would be made to look bang average imo.

A win against a stiff like makubu at crusierweight would mean nothing, and yes as the opening thread suggests it would be a good win but as a 37 year old champion, really will it mean much in the few years looking back?

Terminator and Skyver like this.
  8. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Canelo, the only fighter who towards the end of a 12 round fight, has not got a bead of sweat on him. I must get some of that Mexican meat.

Jurgen and smithshaun like this.
  9. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Don`t rate Beterbiev so if Canelo beats him its no great deal to me.Nowhere near the greats

10. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Shades of Prince Andrew who has the variant no sweat, never met

Oreet Cha! and moog like this.
  11. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    None of the title holders at 175 have any interest in fighting in each yet Canelo is allegedly sucking both even though he can comfortably make 168

12. Terminator

Terminator Active Member Full Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Great skills and chin but one of the most manufactured champions in world boxing since The Bodybuilder

Donald Donaldson likes this.
  13. Work the body

Work the body Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 5, 2015
    Give it another 2-3 years and he’ll fight Beterbiev

Terminator likes this.
  14. FireThemDown

FireThemDown New Member banned Full Member

Jan 11, 2022
    Canelo = the white marvin hagler

****ing beast. On his way to becoming a true atg.

Scissors likes this.