Canelo's victory over Kovalev will not age well

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by BoxingFacts, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    I've seen much livelier sparring sessions

OvidsExile likes this.
  2. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    thats what im pointing out. if what you just wrote is wrong, like im telling you right now that its wrong, would you accept that you dont know wtf youre talking about when youre saying it? more than a few are building this narrative that kova is all washed up and prime kova woulda blah, blah, blah. i say they dksab and dont know wtf they are talking about. either they(including you), or i, are talking a lot of ass. wont be but several months before we find out who is correct, but will you accept what the proof will say about both sides?

3. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I don't think that's fair to Khan at all. The fight wasn't stopped because Khan wanted to quit, the fight was stopped because his trainer idiotically motioned for the referee to stop it while Khan was recovering from a blatant low blow.

4. bandeedo

Feb 19, 2007
    of course i would acknowledge it, what evidence exists anywhere that i am the type that would not? ive done this before and people predictably get amnesia when its time to take their lumps. so i want to lock all of us in, all the ones pretending to know boxing on this thread.

Big Ukrainian likes this.
  5. YCGS

YCGS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 13, 2013
    While I certainly am not implying the fight was fixed, I can also see how some would think it was. And anyone who says "Look at that vicious KO, no one would agree to take a dive like that" is plain ignorant. These guys take punches FOR A LIVING, and you don't think a fighter would be ok with taking two flush shots for more money than he made his entire career?
    There are literally THOUSANDS of average people who would take flush shots from Deontay Wilder for 12 million, let alone a professionally trained fighter taking 2 from Canelo.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    OvidsExile likes this.
  6. DodgySyrup

DodgySyrup Member Full Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Oh, come on now, I think it's fairly clear Amir didn't want to continue.

He could have taken up to 5 minutes to recover.

Truth is, his corner only threw the towel because they could read his body language and they knew Khan was psychologically finished and wanted out.

7. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    He was taking his 5 minutes. Virgil Hunter was reading his body language alright. He was reading his body language a little too much!!

A boxing match should never be stopped during the actual 5 minutes that a fighter is recovering from a low blow. That's literally why there's a rule for a fighter to get 5 minutes. It was a terrible stoppage. And I can't stand when a ref tries to rush a fighter to agree to restart instead of letting him have his 5 minutes. Now, if Khan had taken the full 5 minutes and was still unable to continue then the fight should be stopped, but that didn't happen. This is boxing 101.

8. greenhornet

greenhornet Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 14, 2016
    The fact Ruiz sucked and barely did anything in the fight but whine didn't help either.

9. elbonzoseco

elbonzoseco Member Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Kovalev could come back with a solid win, he just has to be perfect to do so. With a full camp and without being likely concussed 10 weeks before the fight, he might pull it of. He is still good enough to win rounds against top ten guys, he just needs to be in top shape to go all 12.

10. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    If that happens, it'll be proof the fight was indeed fixed. For now, they have the plausible excuse that Kovalev is garbage to fall back on. If he becomes a world beater again, I want an investigation.

11. bandeedo

Feb 19, 2007
    i feel like were losing you, ovids. dont stray too far from reality, it gets hard to find your way back.
    youre creating a situation where the opposing view has no way of proving their point, or any way of disproving yours. make a stand somewhere.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  12. ShovelHook

ShovelHook Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    I'm not a GGG fan, I just hate drug cheats.

OvidsExile and Heavy_Hitter like this.
  13. DodgySyrup

DodgySyrup Member Full Member

Nov 4, 2019
    I could have sworn Khan was making a meal of it, shaking his head "no, no" as if to say "I can't continue" and I think the coach just made it easy for his fighter by taking the blame, as it were.

But, maybe I'm wrong on this one.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  14. Boxcel

Boxcel Member Full Member

Jan 31, 2019
    I don't think people understand that a few weeks is not enough to recover from being almost out of your feet in a recent fight. The biggest risk factor for a concussion is a previous concussion. Because Kovalev was already concussed from his recent fight, his chin was worse than ever when he fought Canelo.

don owens likes this.
  15. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    it all depends. If Kovalev comes back and wins a big fight and wins the title again it ages well. That will prove he is not finished. That will speak for itself. Duran won against Barkley in 1989 at middleweight, after losing to Hearns half a decade before and a weight division lower. To me that proved he was still good when Hearns fought him. What will Kovalev do after this.