Carl Froch Controversy.

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by sniffmybadger, Oct 27, 2018.

1. sniffmybadger

sniffmybadger Relationships are not my forte Full Member

Jan 20, 2010
    I was bored and watching random Boxing videos on Youtube, when I came across this. former South African boxer Ruben Groenewald making some controversial claims about Froch and Howard Foster before his 2005 fight. This all seems a bit far fetched.

This content is protected

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  2. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    When he was going on about an enlarged heart and his bad asthma for the third time, my B.S detector was going off wildly.

He was clearly a lot smaller than Froch and outmatched in there. He was taking some shots in the corner and was getting hurt. Did Foster stop it slightly early? Yes.

But still not the evidence to show this involved a grand conspiracy of referee and Froch to get the stoppage in round 5.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  3. oiky

oiky Gypsy Boy Full Member

Jan 17, 2014
  4. 305th

305th Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 28, 2018
    lol @ shorts part.

If this was a fix, why on earth why they give the guy the heads up....

This content is protected

5. sniffmybadger

Jan 20, 2010
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Why would you tell the opponent unless you wanted him to take a dive?

Gatekeeper and 305th like this.
  6. 305th

Apr 28, 2018
    I get the impression that he (Groenewald) is still very very bitter about the loss, has read and watched about "British stoppages" recently, put 2+2 together and come up with 7 and decided to egg the pudding with the "mysterious fan" fable.

7. SambaKing1993

SambaKing1993 Don't do it Zachary! Full Member

Sep 17, 2018
    What does he say? I can't be bothered listening to a 20 minute video. Cheers

Jackatomic likes this.
  8. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Funny enough, exact same vid came up for me whilst browsing yt
    There's got to be something in it if you get told it's going to stop in 6th, then it gets waved off in that rd

9. 305th

Apr 28, 2018
    Basically that there were all kinds of devious tricks pulled on fight night (shock horror), including not letting him use his shorts as planned and fukin up his entrance music.

The biggest one, however, is that he claims that a mysterious person (who funnily enough he doesn't give a description of), rang him up in his room claiming to be a fan wanting a glove signed.

When said "fan" turned up, he told him that the fight was going to end in 5 stoppage, and that Froch and his mates had put a lot of money on it.

He may as well have said that the mysterious man had a Groucho Marx disguise on before giving a "muhahaha" laugh and disappearing in a puff of purple smoke tbh.

kevinreid001 likes this.
  10. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    The guy is a complete bum. He should be grateful this mystery fan afforded him the opportunity to make some money.

As if anyone believes 1) he actually had any fans and 2) one of these fans was driving around Nottingham after 10pm (before fight night) to find him, call his hotel room and get a glove signed.

In that scenario I would be waiting at the door with an improvised baseball bat expecting the worse.

305th likes this.
  11. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    There was another vid that linked after that one, which stated Carl has been in front of bbbc for suspected match fixing

305th likes this.
  12. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Either way, it's an awful stoppage. Vintage Foster. What a p.r.i.c.k!

pow, Wizbit1013, Sonny1 and 1 other person like this.
  13. sniffmybadger

Jan 20, 2010
    yeah I saw that. I never heard of this before.

14. 305th

Apr 28, 2018
    The changing of shorts is a classic mind :D

He looks like he's wearing those Sports Direct "economy" white football shorts.

15. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Nice interview here with this bum with more of his fantasy tales

http://www.livefight.com/news.php?news_id=1711&y=2011&m=12

"Anyway, one morning in 2005, I woke up, and decided I'd had enough of going to the gym everyday and training all by myself as if I've got a fight lined up. I was going to call it a day with the boxing and get myself a job. On my way to the job centre, I got a call from Mick Hennessy. He offered me a fight with Carl Froch. Even though on that day I was so emotional and negative, what could I say to Mick? I couldn't say no could I? So I agreed to take the fight but I was in no condition to fight Froch. My heart was out of boxing. I think Froch is proper quality but on my day, nobody will beat me. Ask Kessler and Markus Beyer too. I took the Froch fight, and it didn't go my way. I take nothing from Froch. I'm happy his career turned out that good. He's a good boxer and a very intelligent person. He's good for boxing. I wish him all the best."

Seems he has a book to promote "The untold truth" and it looks like Froch is not his only gripe he also got stiffed by Kellie Maloney.

https://www.iol.co.za/news/a-story-of-broken-dreams-and-the-untold-truth-11557808

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Gatekeeper and 305th like this.