CARL FROCH: "There is nothing fake about HAYE and BELLEW’s dislike for each other"

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Joshua Rubinstein, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Joshua Rubinstein

Joshua Rubinstein New Member banned Full Member

Jan 30, 2017
  2. emallini

emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Well Bellew doesn't hate Haye. He called him out and insulted him hoping that Haye would bite so he could get a payday and Haye obviously bit for the easy money.

Coachkev likes this.
  3. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Haye took the fight because there was nothing else on the table. Can't just come back off a 5 year lay off and expect a fight against a belt holder. If he was serious about winning a belt again, he would have quickly built on his fights against the last 2 puddings and fought a decent heavyweight instead of grabbing the payday against a cruiserweight.

4. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Easy money to lay out a gobshite? I'd take that all day long. Boxing will be a better place with Bellew's BS removed from it post getting splattered by Haye and then destroyed again by any of the top boys at 200lbs.

5. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    Fair enough but how does knocking Bellew out propel him up the rankings or even prepare him for a scrap with a real heavyweight? I appreciate that earning money is what we all work for...but where's the ambition in this fight? He's wasted his best years partying (although that does sound good) and now he's wasting more time fighting a cruiserweight.

6. Coachkev

Coachkev New Member Full Member

Feb 13, 2017
    Bellew and haye are alike there looking for the payday not the belts if they worked at macdonlds they would be chef taster not the manager....

7. carlingeight

carlingeight Active Member Full Member

May 15, 2016
    Even if they do dislike each other the whole thing is still manufactured. Nothing either man has done in their career has been leading to this fight. They've had to pull it out if thin air.

The only excuse I can start to accept for the charade is that they are both a bit unlucky with their natural weights not properly matching a weight class. Bellew could probably do with a 185 pound division, Haye something like 210 or 220.

8. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    He promotes himself. The reason we saw him come back against two pretty much unknown opponents was largely due to lack of being able to afford anyone much better IMO. They conveniently saw him ranked without much risk and little outlay. After the Bellew payday and hooking up with Schaefer I'd imagine he'll be able to back himself a little bit better in future if he wants to go after any big fight other than AJ which obviously will be covered but matchroom.

9. lawslaw

lawslaw Active Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Not quite true. He was the mando for the winner of Parker v Ruiz before he signed for the Bellew fight.

10. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    How come he didn't go down that path mate?

I know it sounds like I'm slagging him off but I respect the fella. He was quality in his time and giving Blackwell that money is a reflection on his true character...however...he just frustrates me. He should have been knocking it on the head at 36 having spent his best years before that creating a real legacy. He's sold himself short and in my opinion, it's been a waste of his talent.

11. lawslaw

lawslaw Active Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    I am guessing that the appeal of earning a few million quid for a fight with literally the lowest risk possible won over. He will likely become mando once more for the WBO when Parker beats Fury, presuming of course that fight ever actually takes place.

Gneus7 likes this.
  12. tomclarky

tomclarky New Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2017
    It's possible that he saw Bellew as an easier path to Joshua. Fighting Parker in New Zealand doesn't get you as much attention as a big domestic 'grudge' match. He wins that in style on Sky and fans will start to back him again. And if he beats Parker? I'm not an expert on the politics of boxing organisations but he possibly envisaged getting tied down in mandatory's

I think he just sees Bellew as a fun fight. Plus Bellew probably wouldn't have gone away and eventually David gets accused of ducking him.

Saying that, i still disagree with his decision. I would've liked to see him face Parker and win the WBO. A fight with AJ is even bigger as a unification match.