Carl Froch vs Canelo

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by RJJFan, May 9, 2021.

1. Aussie Invader

Aussie Invader Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jan 5, 2017

high risk, low reward.
    soooo, go to the US, fight, garner the interest of the networks and suddenly the fight happens.
    that's how big fights are generally made.

hopkins was one of the best fighters on the planet.
    he did not owe a fight to a guy who didn't have any international profile just because he was in negotiations with him.

2. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2020
    But you mention Hatton - who did he fight in the US before Mayweather? Who did Khan?

Hopkins was never the money maker that Mayweather was either, so don't think those are apples vs apples comparisons to make.

Edit - just checked, I see Hatton did get a few fights in the US before Mayweather, so I see what you are saying, fair enough.

Aussie Invader likes this.
  3. Shempz

Shempz Active Member Full Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Canelo might win, Froch might win - one thing is for sure though, there is not a cat in hells chance that Canelo stops Froch. Froch has an ATG chin - and I never saw him getting hurt from bodyshots either.

Beouche and gollumsluvslave like this.
  4. Aussie Invader

Jan 5, 2017
    yeah hatton had to put the hard word on frank warren to get the tszyu fight, and then when warren started lining up sub-par opponents again (as was his way), hatton dropped him and headed to the states.

hopkins not being a cash cow actually meant the path would have been easier for calzaghe (i mean he was an excellent fighter, i've never said otherwise), because cash cows like floyd could pick and choose who they fought.

gollumsluvslave likes this.
  5. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018
    Bute, Pascal & Kessler beat Smith & Saunders.. Abraham & Groves flatten Fielding & Yildrim. Call me when Canelo has half the legacy at SMW Carl does.

Froch>Canelo.

& don't cite Canelo being more skilled, nearly everyone Froch fought was more skilled than him yet he found a way to win. Smaller GGGs jab & chin was enough to beat Canelo so no reason why Froch' couldn't..

Quina74 and gollumsluvslave like this.
  6. pecho26

pecho26 ESB Lurker Full Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I really like Froch. He was an animal witha granite chin but Canelo is to fast with great defence and his punches combination is amazing. Canelo by late TKO.

7. DoubleJab666

DoubleJab666 Dot, dot, dot... Full Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Fair enough, but if you were building a fighter to beat the current version of Canelo, chin, ruggedness and engine are right at the top of the list. Canelo was beginning to tire just before he landed that picture perfect left on Saunders - he timed that roll out to the right perfectly. Great boxing, very skilful. But imagine he landed that on Froch, with his chin (collective term for being able to take a punch), ruggedness and engine?

Also, Froch was massive at the weight. Pictures of him next to Groves (himself renowned as a big SMW) shows Froch was even bigger. So we can add size and strength to the list.

No doubt Canelo is the more technically gifted fighter. But the things you point out about Froch are the very reasons why this fight would be close and there's no way you could rule out Froch winning...

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    timeout likes this.
  8. LondonRingRules

LondonRingRules Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I find it so strange that a grown man can let his emotions about certain fighters overwhelm him to the point where he’ll make predictions like this. You do it with all the fighters you have an irrational dislike of.

You’re one very emotional boy.

Aussie Invader likes this.
  9. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    I literally have no idea what the hell you're talking about. The only one here who sounds emotional is you. Since IIRC, you're quite the Froch hater. For what it's worth, GGG who I am a fan of, I also said would lose to Carl Froch and Andre Ward. There's no emotions involved, merely being consistent. Forch, Calzaghe and Ward all three are damn near unbeatable at SMW in my opinion, and no blown up Middleweights are tough enough to get the job done.

10. bluebird

bluebird Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 17, 2009
    Canelo but a competitive fight

11. LondonRingRules

LondonRingRules Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Mate I’ve seen you on the verge of a nervous breakdown in AJ threads, you’re a very emotional guy.

I’m a huge fan of Froch, you must be confusing me with someone else.

To think Froch would be able to get to Canelo enough to stop him in 7 rounds just absolutely reeks of bias and emotion.

12. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Dont like either one and back in the day I underestimated Saul, a fighter I still dont like. But hes such a good boxer so I think he wins an 8 4 type decision.

13. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Ya this

14. Aussie Invader

Jan 5, 2017
    froch was never on the level of ward or calzaghe.
    he is on kessler's level, one rung below, but daylight between these two levels of fighter.

15. Punchdrunk1

Punchdrunk1 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 2, 2019
    As much as Canelo is a monster at the moment I don't agree with people saying he would be too much for Froch.
    Froch was big and tough as hell.
    Unlike Canelo's usual opponents, Froch wouldnt be on the back foot and scared to let his hands go all night.
    He would be looking to take Canelo's head off.
    Callum smith went 12 rounds with the heart of a mouse. Froch wouldn't have been bullied