Carl" The Truth" Williams vs Pinklon Thomas

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Titan1, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    In a battle of jabs, who wins?

2. Raggamuffin

Raggamuffin You dipstick Full Member

Jun 11, 2007
    I lean towards the truth.
    Williams in a very vlose SD

3. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Williams was an excellent boxer, but i think he lacked durability a bit. And Thomas had quite a bit of power; watch him take out Weaver with a single right hand.

4. Woddy

Woddy Guest

Carl the Truth's biggest weakness was the left hook, and not so much the right. Thomas certainly had a great left jab, but wasn't exactly a left hooker. Williams also managed to come pretty close to winning the war of the jabs with Holmes, who although aging was probably still better than Pinklon in that department.

That is the Truth

5. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    :D

Point well taken. Thomas had a great jab but seemed to get lazy with it from time to time.

By the way, what do you think of The Truth? A bit of an underachiever and bad luck to get shafted against Holmes/no rematch?

6. CzarKyle

CzarKyle Member Full Member

May 11, 2005
    I'd go with Pinklon Thomas winning in the mid to late rounds. Carl was a decent fighter, but eventually he'd wear down.

7. Curtis Lowe

Curtis Lowe Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Thomas, probably by late KO. Pinky was just plain tougher than Carl.

8. Bigcat

Bigcat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Pinklon had a straight fast jab.. Where Carl hung his jab out there like a clothes line.. Pinklon would have too much urgency for Carl.

Carl was the best heavyweight never to win the title..

But Pinklon was a solid holder..

Pink battered Weaver efficiently , and as stated in a prior quote.. Weaver gave Carl hell. Carl had a great spirit and always strived to climb out of adversity... But when push came to shove, Carl had chinks in his armour..

9. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I have to go with Pinklon. He wasn't as speedy or as mobile as Williams, but his jab was far more impressive. It's a shame he had to be around at the same time as a prime Tyson.

10. Woddy

Woddy Guest

Carl was a very good boxer who had power in the right hand, and what experts call, one of the greatest left jabs of all time. I tend to think that the last comment about the greatest left jab is a bit exagerated though. I remember watching some of his later matches on local cable networks, against Journeyman Jerry Jones, Melton Bowen, and Tommy Morrision. All of these guys gave him trouble with the left hook. Had he managed to overcome this weakness, he might have been a better fighter. Tyson also knocked him out, or TKO'd him I should say with the left.

Williams best wins were over an aging berbick, and worn out Tillis. I have a fair amount of respect for Williams boxing ability, but he probably wasn't world championship material. As for the Holmes fight, I never saw it, but viewed a clip at the end of it, when he fought Tyson. Holmes had a hugely swollen eye after fighting Truth over 15 rounds. Some called it a robbery, while others claimed it was close. In either case, Larry was past his prime, so I don't think that too much should be made of it.

11. ThinBlack

ThinBlack Boxing Addict banned

Sep 18, 2007
    Carl would take an early lead on Pinklon, but Pinklon would catch up by the eleventh, and have Carl's chinny behing out in the 13th.