Carlos monzón vs Roy jones jr 15 rounds!! 160 pounds

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Charlietf, Mar 23, 2020.

Monzón vs Roy Jones 15 rounds 160 pounds

1. Monzón by decision

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Monzón by ko or tko

19 vote(s)
    41.3%
  3. Roy Jones by decision

19 vote(s)
    41.3%
  4. Roy Jones by ko or tko

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    That's Monzon's problem. He is slower than most and predictable. It's on film to see/ He was grinder type, who benefitted from beating many smaller men moving up in class. While his jab and accuracy were good, Jones would beat him to the punch and counter him if he got wild.

I'd go with Jones vis clear decision, possibly a late round TKO.

DavidBarnes and Loudon like this.
  2. Charlietf

Charlietf Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    Late tko?lol monzón had much better stamina and jones never fought 15 rounds

3. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Hagler had better offensive skills than Monzon, he had better combo`s to go with a long southpaw jab, he would have landed a lot more shots on Roy than Monzon would have.

Fury's Love Handles and Loudon like this.
  4. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    When did Roy prove he had a decent chin?

5. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    It's relevant in two ways, 1st it showed if a good puncher could reach him cleanly he could
    be stopped because he didn't have the greatest chin. 2nd Theirs no Monzon ,Hagler ,or Robinson
    class fighters on his scalp list, fighters that we can reasonably assume they would eventually
    figure away to catch him, especially over the 15 rd distance. #3 Can't train having a great chin,
    his dynamic reflexes hid a lot of flaws , flaws that were exposed when he slowed, from hand
    positioning , to lack of ability to ride punches. Unlike Ali, when he slowed we found out he
    could take a punch. I

Richard M Murrieta and Charlietf like this.
  6. Big Red

Big Red Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2011
    I think Jones would give Monzon some problems especially the first half of the fight.But I don’t think Monzon would have a problem hitting Jones.

I don’t think Monzon offence can be shut down Monzon was creating a lot of openings and knew what to do more steps ahead he was a real master boxer. And that is a problem for a weak chin fighter.

Monzon would make it a hard fight and I don’t think Jones could take it. He was great but Monzon was levels above him between the ears.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  7. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    I agree

8. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    When people use logic like this, what can you do? Okay, Jones never lost a 15 round fight in his life. We saw he had plenty of stamina left after 12 rounds. There is zero indication he could not go 15. Monzon didn't face many punchers. One hurt him, and other floored him. IMO Monzon was very wise to retire when he did.

Loudon likes this.
  9. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Watch his career.

Although he was extremely hard to hit clean, he did get tagged every now and again.

He took good shots off of Toney and Ruiz.

His feet slipped under him against Del Valle, but it was a good shot.

10. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Okay.

First off, you've used the word 'could'

Yes, if they COULD have reached him, they may have hurt him.

The point is: Not many could.

It's exactly the same as saying 'if' they'd have landed flush on him. But look at who he fought and how often he got hit.

He was only knocked out against 180 plus pound fighters up at LHW after he was past his best.

That was his 3rd weight class.

Tarver could only do it once in 3 fights, and Johnson didn't even hit him that hard. It was clear that there was an issue in the Johnson fight. Now what else have you got until you go into the latter part of his career where he was completely shot into his 40's?

Okay, there's no Carlos Monzon etc on his record. But there were very good-great fighters on his resume, and he fought in 4 divisions, without barely losing rounds for the most part.

Now let's spin it.

There's no Roy Jones on Carlos Monzon's resume either.

Now you like to note that Hill was faded, Bernard was green, Toney was lazy and most of the rest were ordinary etc.

Okay. Then let's apply that same level of thinking to assess Monzon's record.

Let's put the wins over Benvenuti and Griffith etc under your microscope. Because IMHO, if Roy had Monzon's record, you'd have pulled it to pieces. You'd have criticised his biggest wins, as well as noting who those opponents had lost to.

Yes, Roy was very vulnerable when he aged, as he didn't change his style which was build around his incredible reflexes. But Carlos wouldn't have been fighting that slowed down version who had diminished reflexes. He'd have been fighting a prime, 25 year old version of Roy.

I've looked into Monzon's career. He's simply an ATG MW. He was very strong, he had a great jab, he could cut off the ring and he was very tough. But if you look at how they'd have matched up stylistically, Roy would have had a huge advantage in speed. And like another member has noted, despite him being a great fighter, he could be a bit predicable and he was very slow in comparison.

The guys which Roy would have had the most trouble against, would have been very fast and/or technical boxers, or huge, monster punchers, if they could have hit the jackpot.

From what I've seen of Carlos, Roy's speed would have caused him absolute fits. And where he enjoyed having big physical advantages over most of his opponents, he wouldn't have had them over Roy.

I think you need to remind yourself of just how fast Roy was.

This is is Roy at LHW when he was 30 years old:

https://gfycat.com/jollysophisticatedadamsstaghornedbeetle

That's insane hand speed. And Roy was even quicker at MW when he was younger.

He'd have gotten off much earlier than Carlos, and Carlos would have found Roy extremely difficult to find.

I would have put money on Roy winning a decision.

11. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    From what I've seen of Monzon, he'd have huge problems landing clean, powerful shots on Roy.

Their reach was practically the same and Roy would have had a huge advantage in hand and foot speed.

You're selling Roy short here.

Again, there's this notion that Roy had a weak chin.

Really?

From getting hit flush at 35, against 180 plus pound LHW's, when he was in his 3rd weight class?

Monzon may well have have been tougher with a much better chin. But he'd still have had to have won the fight by either stopping Roy or out boxing him to a decision.

How would he have dealt with Roy's speed?

Being tougher wouldn't have stopped shots coming from unorthadox angles at ridiculous speed.

12. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    True, but I felt that he did fight many who tried to run, it did not work. Actually if you see many of Carlos's bouts, he was a counter puncher.

13. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    The way I see it, different strokes for different folks. It is no big deal, at the end of the day, life goes on.

14. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Correct.

Roy had plenty of stamina at 25 and I'm sure he'd have had no issue going 15 rounds.

We can't just assume he'd have had trouble just on the grounds that he never did them.

He was always in great shape and he did a lot of hard roadwork when he was younger.

I can't see how Monzon would have coped with Roy's speed. And I'm sure that most of these guys would have ripped Roy's resume had he have had Monzon's resume.

15. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    People get so intense, I feel that these hypothetical matches are good to imagine, but truthfully they never fought, and until they do, no harm, no loss. I will always have my favorites, these fellow posters though good do not live with me, so everyone's opinion is just that, an opinion. You are a good poster, Mate.

LoadedGlove likes this.