Carlos Monzon .Vs. Bob Foster

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by la-califa, Dec 8, 2008.

1. KOTF

KOTF Bingooo Full Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Foster is arrested for manslaughter after this one

2. Tony_Jones

Tony_Jones New Member Full Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Foster had a solid jab and truly crippling power. I mean SERIOUS power! Foster by KO.

3. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Monzon was not suited for this division or this opponent in Foster, as Hagler was not suited for the same division or it's champion Michael Spinks. It's why the divisions were set up the way they are..and some fighters wisely were able to discern where they were at their best.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  4. laxpdx

laxpdx Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Foster too strong, he will be able to do what Valdez and Briscoe could not.

5. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Monzon was a lean 6ft or therabouts and would've been able to make Lt Heavy just like Hopkins,if he so desired imo whereas Hagler was a solid 5'9 and ill suited to jump up in weight especially against a huge Lt Heavy like Spinks.

Monzon's being content to thrash smaller middles and men coming up in weight but not being so willing to mix it up with the big men,makes me wonder if there wasn't a touch of bully about him actually.:think

Still a great fighter but seeing him in the mix against the great 70's Lt Heavies could've really increased his standing to that of a Robinson or Charles I reckon.

Richard M Murrieta and Silver like this.
  6. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    No one takes his shots of a prime Foster that is not a full heavy .. Monzon was not exceptionally fast and would get hit ... not good for Carlos ... Foster by stoppage ...

7. itrymariti

itrymariti Cañas! Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Monzon was definitely reliant on his size/strength advantage. He used them excellently with some rare skills, but that was the basis of his style.

8. TommyV

TommyV VIP Member banned

Nov 2, 2007
    There's no shame in getting stopped by a devasting puncher like Foster, particularly when moving up 15lbs in weight. Monzon of course had a very good chin, but we are talking about a guy with not just good power for a division a stone above Monzon's, but brutal power.

9. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    What is it, itrymariti's birthday or something? Foster, if not by stoppage then by early-senility-inducing beating. Although the longer it goes on, the more of a chance Monzon has at adjust-i-n-g and doing something freakishly spectacular, befitting his legend status but I find it less probable than a Foster victory.

Edit: Why would they put asterisks in the middle of adjust+ing? I had to put dashes in it.

10. itrymariti

itrymariti Cañas! Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    You know the naughty streaming website which has those letters in its URL?

11. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Well...no, I don't. :lol: I've rarely used streams.

12. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I'm not sure on this match up, just because a man hasnt fought bigger men doesn't mean he can't but he might not be able to. Monzon strikes me as someone reliant on being the bigger man with strength advantages, which if true hurts him here being the smaller man, but maybe he can adapt.

Didnt Monzon supposedly beat Frazier up in sparring (I know its ONLY sparring)

13. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Let's assume for the sake of argument that Carlos had a heavyweight chin. He is not out jabbing Bob from long range, and Foster demonstrated his championship round stamina with Fourie 2X, Finnegan and Anderson. Monzon might have some success utilizing movement to outmaneuver Bob, but this would be a transient success. (If you want a visual representation of the height and reach difference, Mike Quarry was about same as Carlos. Monzon did not have Mike's foot speed though.) Carlos had excellent survival skills and recuperative powers, so he might be able to last the distance, but his jab and hook are not comparable to Foster's.

14. turpinr

turpinr Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 6, 2009
    :good around 2 rounds would do.

15. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Monzon was not cut out for the lightheavyweight division, as Foster was not cut out for the heavyweight division...and BTW. one persistant internet myth just won't go away..that Monzon and Joe Frazier sparred....it never happened.