Carlos Monzon vs James Toney

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Lights Out, Dec 16, 2010.

1. MMJoe

MMJoe Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Monzon schools and batters Toney, Toney's rock-like head absorbs blows for eh full 15 rounds.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  2. Lights Out

Lights Out Active Member Full Member

Nov 5, 2010
    You really love Toney don't you. Tell you what do you think the guy in your avatar could knockout Toney?

3. ye i admire his boxing style and also that he would fight anyone no matter who they were . and i dont know about gerald he was a hell of a puncher when you look what he did to julian jackson you do wonder but , he never fought anyone who could slip like toney so its hard to say , what do you think ???

4. Lights Out

Lights Out Active Member Full Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Tough to say. Guys like him with limited careers mean its hard to imagine him fighting a defensive genius like Toney. The thing about him is he does not wing punches he throws technically precise power punches. Has more power than people like Reggie Johnson so could definatly knock him down and use his finishing power to stop him. I would perhaps favour Mccllelan by knockout simply because a 160 Toney was not consistent enough for me and he would need a perfect fight to beat Gerald but I'm not sure he could. How many people did they fight like one another? None In my knowladge and that makes it hard to judge but I like Mccllelan in this one. Good matchup though

5. norfolkinchance

norfolkinchance Active Member Full Member

Mar 28, 2009
    I prefer toney over gerald in this one. think gerald was right hand happy and in love with his power. he had a few fights where he was particularly effective before he koed them because all he threw were bombs.

even if he caught toney wioth one bomb he wouldnt with a second so wouldnty pout toiney down. think toney counters him a lot with gerald becoming increasingly ragged and getting bit of an arse kicking.

6. monzón by ud or late tko, to compare tuney with monzón is blasphemy

7. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Monzon couldn't go up to heavyweight and beat John Ruiz or the man that ko'd Lennox Lewis in Hasim Rahman, or defeat crusierweight Vasily Jirov at the age of 35, you talk about the draws and robberies, but Monzon lost to 3 people that we haven't heard of, it doesn't determine a fighter, Monzon is very slow with no movement, but great punching power especially with the right hook and straight right and had a hard jab as well, but Toney was fast, had movement, was clever and could walk people walk onto punches and had his own power which is underrated, and could fight on the inside, Toney would outbox Monzon to a wide descision

8. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Very close and tough fight. Monzon was one of the best middleweights ever. Toney defeated his far share of greats too. In 1991 he fought like 6 times including wins over McCallum and Nunn just months apart. My guess is that Monzon would be favored but in reality it’s anyone’s fight

9. Fuzzykat

Fuzzykat Member Full Member

Jun 18, 2019
    Monzon by UD15. Not an easy fight for Monzon, but Toney would not be active enough.

10. escudo

escudo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 13, 2014
    Brutal KO of number 3 lb for lb Michael Nunn in his hometown...

11. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Absolutely zero relevance to the discussion at middleweight, a division that Monzon ruled with an iron fist for 7 years as undisputed champ,went undefeated over 13 years, avenged all 3 of his early losses... while Toney was just some guy who couldn't beat a Sunday school teacher at that weight.

Monzon fought guys faster than Toney, fought guys as clever as Toney, fought guys more accomplished than Toney... And Toney would end up where they did, on the loser side of the equation.

Sorry, Toney, especially at 160, preferred to fight the last 30 seconds of the round, was looking for breaks and struggled with his weight. Monzon would focus on this weakness and tear him apart with consistent pressure applied thru great range judgement, off-timing and power. You just can't ask a fighter to be more proven in a given weight division than Monzon was proven at 160.

12. Tin_Ribs

Tin_Ribs Me Full Member

Jun 28, 2009
    MRBILL was a cult legend and one of a kind.

JohnThomas1 and Clinton like this.
  13. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Monzon won 82 straight fights from Oct 9 1964 until his retirement in Aug 1977, following his second victory over Rodrigo Valdes, on July 30 1977.

Seamus likes this.
  14. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I say that King Carlos Monzon takes a unanimous 15 round decision over James Lights Out Toney. It would be a classic chess match early, but then Carlos finds his range, countering Toney's every punch. Although Monzon has 89 victories, 3 losses, 9 draws, 61 KO's, Toney is tough enough to last the distance, he will be bothered by Carlos long left, but will be able to take the mighty right hand thrown by King Carlos, a very good bout.

Clinton likes this.
  15. Mod-Mania

Mod-Mania Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 12, 2012