Carlos Monzon vs James Toney

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Lights Out, Dec 16, 2010.

1. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Really ? Most say Toney is bothered by movement and not pressure.

2. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Probably, but Monzon did have an iron chin, decked by Jorge Fernandez in 1966, and Rodrigo Valdes, in 1977, his last fight, he did win both bouts, Toney can hit , but he is not Tyson.

3. DanDaly

DanDaly Active Member Full Member

Apr 28, 2020
    It's just my opinion. Especially from watching a ton of his fights at middleweight, super middleweight, and light heavyweight in the last few days. It is definitely possible to outwork Toney as shown in a lot of his fights that he won or drew with.

BCS8 and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  4. THE BLADE 2

Jul 14, 2009
    I agree that this fight goes the distance

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  5. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Not at all, Mike. Everything about boxing was great then. The best fought the best and often. There was real depth in each division so you knew your heroes had paid their dues and weren't paper tigers as has happened more recently. My era would be late 80s through 90s and my interest literally cuts off there, possibly as I was then getting to the age where I was older than many of the champs. Nobody's little brother is their hero.

Still, it wasn't a bad era; 90s heavies, middleweights, welterweights were all top drawer. But when you had men coming out of retirement and fighting for the title at 40plus, you knew the sport was on the other side of the hill.

Pity the younger fans of today who have to put up with hw contenders routinely being in their 40s, fighting similarly past peak opponents, once a year. Outside the hw division, I couldn't name a single champion of today. 'As the heavyweights go, so goes boxing', they say, and if that's so then there's a problem. It seems that every hw title fight features men in late 30s/40s or a good 50lbs overweight. Often both. As a fan, I should be able to appreciate the lighter weights but, I don't know, if I have any spare hours (if I have any spare hours, he says! Coronavirus says hello) I will always go back in time from my own era rather than forward.

I could have told you who the champ was for every weight (plus jnr weight) for the WBC, WBA, IBF in 91 and before anyone accuses me of bias towards my own era, I could probably have turned the same trick for 71 as well, albeit with fewer names to have to recall.

So, in brief, nothing rose tinted about your glasses at all. For a boxing fan (and music fan, imo, but that's another story) you just happened to be born at the perfect time. Morlocks will make a case for early 80s and he'll have a strong point but, for me, you had the absolute zenith.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  6. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Yeah movement and speed neither of which were strong suits of Monzon.

7. THE BLADE 2

Jul 14, 2009
    Toney defintely had the better handspeed.Monzon looked quite slow on film

8. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Monzon strong UD. And Toney would know it too.

9. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

.....and this explains perfectly why Toney won't win

BCS8 likes this.
  10. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Imma go ahead and pick Monzon, UD.

Yeah I know, I'm a hater with these irrational picks :campeon2:

George Crowcroft likes this.