Carlos Monzon vs Mike McCallum

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Xplosive, Jul 22, 2019.

1. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I agree with the general consensus that Monzon would win a competitive decision. It would be close too in my view. No chance the very resilient Mc Callum gets stopped.

Fergy likes this.
  2. Mod-Mania

Mod-Mania Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 12, 2012
    LOL, a better MW what are you stupid?

3. lloydturnip

lloydturnip Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Monzon on points or late stoppage .too strong and tough for Mike . I think Mike would do well in the early rnds but Monzon would grind him down.

4. GreenLaternSucked

GreenLaternSucked Member banned Full Member

Jul 13, 2019
    Lol Mike Mccallum being stopped? The sheer stupidity of most people who post in the Classic forum. Mike lost 5 times. Two times to James Toney. One time to world class Roy Jones Jr at 175, One time to the 31-1 Fabric Tiozzo at 175 and 1 time to Sambu Kalambay. Mike fought far superior fighters in this career and moved up to a much higher weight class and wasn't stopped. He took flush punches from massive punchers like Jackson and Roy Jones Jr and wasn't stopped. There is 0 chance Monzon would stop Mike or even beat him.

Monzon spent most of his early career fighting in Argentina against 3rd rate hack fighters. When he did step up he didn't step up in class like Mike did. Emile Griffin was a good fighter. He was no James Toney. Griffin was a smaller guy who started his career at welterweight. He wasn't a big puncher. 85 wins with 23 knockouts. Nino Benvenuti was a solid guy but he was no Roy Jones Jr. Nino also couldn't punch. 82 wins and 35 knockouts. Denny Moyer had 98 wins 38 loses with only 25 knockouts. Jose Naples was a smaller guy. He started his career weighing as low as 125. Most of his career he was in the 140 pound range.

Mike on the other hand fought Donald Curry when he was 27-1, Milton McCrory 31-1, Julian Jackson the hardest puncher pound for pound even when he was 29-0, Sambu Kalambay 43-3, Roy Jones Jr 33-0, James Toney 53-3 and 31-0, Herol Graham 41-1, Fabrice Tiozzo 31-1. Hell even a guy like Jeff Hardin was 23-1. Each of these guys were bigger, faster, and more talented than anybody Monzon face. Mccallum would of schooled Monzon and probably stopped him.

The moderator should just delete the Classic forum. No matter how bad the younger generation of boxing fans are they are still 100 times more knowledgeable compared to you old senile boxing fans.

AwardedSteak863 and emallini like this.
  5. emallini

emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Better skilled and more ability yes. Monzon might have a better legacy at 160 but I use and trust my eyes.

AwardedSteak863 likes this.
  6. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Not one of them is superior to Monzon
    Jones and Toney are close, and maybe equal, but both were not as good a mws as Monzon

lloydturnip likes this.
  7. GreenLaternSucked

Jul 13, 2019
    Lol right then you realize they were. If you honestly think slow Monzon is a better boxer than Jones Jr and Toney then you should give up boxing. Julian Jackson would of broke Monzon face in. Monzon was good at beating light punching guys and a bunch of Argentians. McCallum was good at beating top world class American fighters.

Here is a complete list of Monzons fights. [url]https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/9036[/url] But hey you heard Burt Sugar say Monzon was good so he most of been right?

emallini likes this.
  8. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    :risas3::risas3:

9. GreenLaternSucked

Jul 13, 2019
    Wow you typed a emoji. You must be proud. Maybe you should spend more time learning about boxing and less time typing emojis like a 13 year old school girl.

10. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    You said Jackson beats Monzon, I'm not the deluded one

11. surfinghb

surfinghb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Don't get roped into the trolling GC .. he'll fade away soon enough .. They always do

George Crowcroft likes this.
  12. GreenLaternSucked

Jul 13, 2019
    Right Monzon could beat Jackson beat you heart Bert Sugar say he could. You are the deluded one. Jackson lost twice in his prime. To Hall of Famer McCallum and too Gerald McClellan who walked around weighing 200 pounds. Monzon beat a bunch of South Americans and a few Americans who were light punchers. Yeah that clearly makes him unbeatable lol. Kids like you, your boxing knowledge is based off "I heard this old boxing guy on TV say it". You are worth typing too. You can't explain this stuff to people like you. If you want to believe Monzon was this great fighter because you heard it then go for it. I on the other hand am smart enough to know better. McCallum was light years beyond Monzon, Roy Jones Jr was the most athletic gifted middle weight in boxing history. James Toney was one of the most talented skill wise fighters of all time and Julian Jackson was the hardest puncher pound for pound in history and would of had more success if didn't have eye problems.

Monzon on the other spent most of his life in South America fighter cab drivers. When he did step up none of the fighters he faced were as good as the fighters I named. He wasn't facing guys who were huge punches. He was fighting light punching guys who weren't nearly as athletic as the guys I named. On that note go type to some other clueless boxing fan. But you aren't worth even looking at anything I typed. Ignored.

13. GreenLaternSucked

Jul 13, 2019
    The calling somebody a troll thing is getting old. Also I never responded to anything you typed because you are a brain dead want to be boxing fan.But here is the thing. You will fade away right now. Because I will put you on ignore.

14. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    No. I say Monzon could beat him because he had a brilliant powerful cross, would not be intimidated and has the jab to offset Jackson
    Oh that and Julian's mandible is pretty poor
    Ok mate whatever you say
    Don't make excuses for him, he lost because his chin was weak, outside of his power he's overrated
    I'm*

15. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    To me Monzon looks quite unimpressive on film. Bu I am sure there must be a lot more to it.

mark ant likes this.