Carlos Monzon vs Rodrigo Valdez

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by dmt, Dec 29, 2007.

1. sweet_scientist

sweet_scientist Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 8, 2004
    I had Rodrigo winning the second fight by a point. Maybe my anger at Ferdie Pacheco blatantly sucking Monzon's dick during the fight commentary had something to do with it, but biased or not, there is no way known that Monzon dominated this fight. It was close, anyway you cut it.

My scorecard: 142-141 Valdez
    Monzon winning rounds 1,4,5,6,10(ten-eight round),11 and 14. Valdez winning rounds 2(ten-eight round),3,7,8,9,12,13 and 15.

Monzon's jab and right hand were working a treat when he threw them, but I felt he was too passive on the whole and let Rodrigo outwork him with lunging left hooks and right hands. Monzon was landing the more damaging punches, but Rodrigo's quantity outstripped Monzon's quality. He simply wanted it more in the end for mine, and I would have given him the duke.

2. My dinner with Conteh

My dinner with Conteh Tending Bepi Ros' grave again Full Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Awful scorecard. The biggest surprise is that it's from you SS. :huh

red cobra likes this.
  3. sweet_scientist

Nov 8, 2004
    Care to show me a good one?

4. My dinner with Conteh

Dec 18, 2004
    Maybe i'm getting you mixed up with someone whose scorecards are always right on the money...like that Conteh bloke. ;)

5. sweet_scientist

Nov 8, 2004
    He does seem on target, but RARELY shows his cards, unfortunately...

6. My dinner with Conteh

Dec 18, 2004
  7. enquirer

enquirer Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Never have i heard ANYONE say carlos lost the second valdez bout.
    Maybe SS has had a 'senya' moment? (such as giving roy jones the third tarver fight on points.....)
    On another note,i heard a very quiet whisper that griffith should have outpointed carlos in the rematch? Another myth?

8. sweet_scientist

Nov 8, 2004
    I do have my moments. Do you know I also scored DLH-Mayweather for Oscar :lol:

As for Monzon-Griffith II, no way did Griffith win it. It was fairly close, due to Monzon not bothering to do more than what was needed to win, but it was a clear win all the same.

Enquirer, have you seen/scored Monzon-Valdez II? I'm all for someone telling me I'm ****ed in the head, but they at least have to tell me HOW I'm ****ed in the head. Which rounds for instance, am I deluded about?

9. enquirer

enquirer Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 18, 2006
    I have seen monzon valdez 2,but i didnt do a round by round and from memory i cant do a round by round either.
    By the way,im not calling you mad,maybe just eccentric now and then...:D
    Sometimes (as in may v hoya.) our bias can get in the way of us scoring,epsecially if we really dislike a certain fighter.

10. natonic

natonic Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 9, 2008
    My version is missing two rounds and it was close enough that those rounds mattered in the scoring. However, of the 13 rounds I saw, it just seemed like all the other fights where Monzon dictated and controlled the tempo of the fight. It seemed vey hard to outpoint him because, all other things being equal, he always outjabbed his opponent.

11. Mantequilla

Mantequilla Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    It's funny how nearly everyone has a few fights that they hold a significant minority viewpoint on

I've never scored either of the two Monzon Valdez fights, but saw them both as competitive but clear 9-6 ish wins for Carlos.

Might be time to revisit them.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  12. My dinner with Conteh

Dec 18, 2004
    No need, unless it's simply to enjoy a great scrap. If one person in 100 scores the fight differently then they're wrong or just biased. Simple really. There's always one it seems. Eddie Cool (then of Boxing News) had Escalera beating Tyrone Everett. So, he was probably paid off just like the judges were- he had it 10-5 to Alfredo. :shock: :-(

13. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
  14. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I saw the televised telecast of that fight on The CBS Sports Spectacular, Tom Brookshire and Jerry Quarry were the commentators. Carlos Monzon was 34, his birthday is August 7 1942, this match took place on July 30 1977, in Monte Carlo, Monaco, as in their first match on June 26 1976. Carlos had been out of the ring since their aforementioned first meeting, he was busy making motion pictures with his then actress girlfriend Susana Gimenez. In this match he looked very rusty early in this match, he was decked by a very quick sharp right that opened a cut on the right side of his nose, he got up immediately. This knockdown was the second time in his career, he went on to severely punish Valdes, in winning a unanimous 15 round decision.The last time that he had been decked was his fight with Jorge Fernandez, on Sept 3 1966, in winning the South American Title on points, in Luna Park. He had not lost since Oct 9 1964, losing on points to Alberto Massi. He retired as champion, with 14 successful title defenses. He had not lost in his last 82 fights, and avenged the three defeats, and 8 of the 9 men, he drew with. His record was 89-3-9, 61 KO's.

robert ungurean and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  15. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Worth a rescore maybe but i don't recall thinking it overly close or controversial. Top poster but SS used to come up with the odd curious scorecard.