Carlos Monzon Vs Sergio Martinez at Middleweight for the battle of Argentina?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by DS Phil Hunter, Oct 31, 2022.

1. DS Phil Hunter

DS Phil Hunter Active Member Full Member

Jun 11, 2022
    Who's winning this fight bewteen these two Argentinians? I think Sergio Martinez slippery and unpredictable southpaw style is too much for Carlos Monzon and Martinez was much more of a disciplinarian so I going with Martinez by a late TKO stoppage!

Soul Surviva likes this.
  2. Soul Surviva

Soul Surviva New Member banned Full Member

Oct 29, 2022
    I would favor Martinez. Was never a fan of his, but he has one of those unique styles that's hard to prepare for. His big weakness would be how easy he is to hit, certainly something that Monzon could exploit.

But Monzon was a classic bully. Aside from being a wife beater, his biggest wins were against smaller, older welters who moved up to challenge him.. and he never dared to venture out of his hometown to fight anyone.

I think a guy like Martinez, despite being a bit of pretty boy, would relish the opportunity to put hands on Monzon, and of course would love the opportunity to put on a show for his hometown people.

I see it going a bit like the Pavilk fight, although Monzon was a true 15 round fighter, so that would be a factor in his favor.

3. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
  4. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Monzon mid rounds stoppage

5. Young Terror

Young Terror ★ Griselda ★ Full Member

May 9, 2012
    Martinez is overrated...he almost got stopped by Chavez Jr FFS...Monzon beats him up and stops him...levels son...levels.

6. Soul Surviva

Soul Surviva New Member banned Full Member

Oct 29, 2022
    At least he fought guys his own size or bigger. He didn't get fat off beating up welterweights who had to fly across the world and give up pounds to fight him.

7. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
  8. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I agree that Sergio Martinez is overrated. So Carlos Monzon's challengers had to come and fight from around the world, that is too Freaking Bad, a champion's prerogative to choose his venues He fought one World Welterweight Champion, and that was an all time great, Jose Mantequilla Napoles on Feb 9 1974 in Paris, France, Monzon stopped him in round 7.Monzon won the title from Nino Benvenuti on Nov 7 1970 by KO 12, and defended his title 14 times, he defended against the likes of Nino Benveniti, Emile Griffith, Denny Moyer, Jean Claude Bouttier, Tom Bogs, Bennie Briscoe, Tony Mundine, Tony Licata, Gratien Tonna, and Rodrigo Valdes. Monzon retired as champion on August 29 1977 one month after he defeated Valdes for the second time in a year. Monzon had an 82 bout unbeaten streak dating back to Oct 9 1964, he defeated the three opponents who beat him on points, 8 of the 9 men he fought a draw with, Carlos had 61 KO's in his career which began on Feb 6 1963. Didn't Martinez get beat, losing his title? Monzon never lost his title to anybody. Carlos Monzon takes care of his countryman in round 12. How old are you? You need to study your boxing before posting utter nonsense.

9. michael mullen

michael mullen Active Member Full Member

Oct 28, 2021
    You guys...lol....what ignorance you display...continually misunderstanding and underrating
    "Carlos Monzon!! Yeah...he bounced around the ring vs a master strategist / brilliant fighter vs Kelly Pavlic...so he's gotta upset a slow, wooden, clueless Carlos Monzon"....lolol,..youse guyz.....yer so clueless, I can write your own posts for you.

10. michael mullen

Oct 28, 2021
    What appalling ignorance of boxing. You're entitled to your own opinion, which worthless.

11. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    That is because Carlos Monzon did not call out his opponents, sitting at ringside trying to intimidate future opponents or cry every time a decision went against him, playing the victim card, Woe Is Me, Wah, Wah. Sergio Martinez fought like a track runner, track is not boxing, Martinez had a low knockout percentage. Perhaps it is because Monzon refused to learn English, he was not a puppet for any fan, maybe if he looked strutted around acting bad he would be accepted.

12. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    You can't argue with children, Martinez sucked.

13. Mod-Mania

Mod-Mania Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 12, 2012
  14. michael mullen

Oct 28, 2021
    Yes, and sucked badly. Martinez got manhandled by an immature pot smoking, underachieving, mediocrity in Julio Chavez Jr...and, he managed to gain more fame by being a featured player/model in the great vid that shows Marg's greatest hits...and these morons think that that Martinez is anywhere near the Monzons, Valdezs, Briscoes, Griffiths, etc., It's NO FUN at all being in this forum when the children sneak in under or over the fence

15. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    Time to wipe some noses and change diapers.