Carlos Palomino v Lloyd Honeyghan

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Stevie G, Apr 21, 2021.

1. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Joey Frost. What a Fighter he could have been if he'd had any self discipline at all.
    The early Honeyghan was very lucky to get decisions over Kostas Petrou and Cliff Gilpin. Lloyd was a "Show me the Money" Fighter. Nowt wrong with that by the way. The name of the game, Professional Boxing.

2. LoadedGlove

Dec 6, 2019
    Although Jones' back was ruined, he always said he would have taken the Honeyghan fight in a heartbeat. He loved turning over the London house favourite right back to his amateur days.
    Terry Lawless had seen enough of Colin and wouldn't even discuss it. Another thread in itself here.

3. LoadedGlove

Dec 6, 2019
    Brilliant thread this and a great match up. I remember Palomino coming over and stopping Stracey. Carlos got Stracey at the right time. John H had been on the hamster wheel for a long time on his way to the Title. As so often happens, he promised a proper rest after the Palomino fight, which wasn't seen as more than a routine defence.
    Dave "Boy" Green must be the only British Fighter to have fought in 100 degree heat in London ! Palomino showed incredible toughness that night. Green was all over him for 8 rounds but had no idea of pacing himself. By the 11th, Carlos could have sneezed him over.
    Carlos Palomino was a Rolls Royce of a Fighter but Lloyd Honeyghan, on his best nights, was a Ferrari, all speed, power and precision. I really see Lloyd doing to Palomino what he did to Curry. Yes, Honeyghan would be blowing due to Carlos' body attack but the shots Lloyd would be landing would be doing irreparable damage to Palomino's face. Remember, Curry had a broken nose, broken cheekbone and 2 serious cuts when Dave Gorman pulled him out.
    Without doubt an all time great fight for 8 rounds, with people asking for years, "What if it had gone longer ?" but Carlos' corner or the Doctor pull him out.

4. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    ^^^

Yeah, Duran couldn't stop Palomino, despite giving him a hellacious beating, but the mighty Honeyghan would...

Exactly what I mean about Honeyghan being overrated around these parts.

Clinton and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  5. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Thanks, glad to be back my friend

Clinton and LoadedGlove like this.
  6. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Nice Post.

Just an aside what exactly happened between Lloyd and Terry Lawless that saw him be removed from the stable?

Lastly again on Lloyd what was the beef with Dyer...I heard it covered the period 1986 to 1994....a shame Dyer attacked Lloyd with that hammer and derailed his comeback like that he had been nice and active was coming into a bit of form albeit as a shadow of his former self

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  7. mark ant

mark ant Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Derailed what comeback? Lloyd got battered by Paz after getting smashed by Breland, no way could he have won a world title in hs 30`s, his whole style was based on speed, his handspeed was getting slower and he couldn`t slip Breland or Paz`s punches.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  8. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    You've got your facts mixed up...... for once Mark

The hammer attack took place 2 months before the Pazienza fight. FYI Honeyghan had been unbeaten for 3 years since the Breland loss. He had put together a 7 fight win streak and had just won the Commonwealth Light Middleweight title and was starting to look useful again.

I didn't say he could've won a world title but he had money problems and needed to earn a living and was doing well at British and Commonwealth level and he was being lined up for a world title fight with Gianfranco Rosi who he had scored a one punch kayo over years earlier. He probably would have lost but lloyd"s motivation at that time was money and he could've earned a decent payday for the time vs Rosi.

2 months before the Pazienza fight Dyer attacked him with a hammer from behind and bloodied his head Lloyd had to have medical treatment. Subsequently he looked awful in the Pazienza fight his legs were gone from the start.Being smashed over the head with a hammer cant have helped his balance and equilibrium. Before the hammer attack he looked far better and his legs werent totally shot like in the Paz fight.

His whole style was not totally "based on speed" .Reflexes were probably his biggest asset and in his 30"s they had slowed along with his handspeed,and his hands were damaged but all in they were still formidable on the domestic scene circa 1992/1993. He also retained enough of his class, power and bodypunching and had gone back to boxing rather than the wild brawling of his title defences. Like I say he was still useful at European level and needed to earn a living.

Honeyghan actually slipped dozens and dozens of shots vs Pazienza and Breland his legs were just shot in both. With Breland he wasn't over the Starling beating and was badly weight drained on the day. With Pazienza he was just outsized a welter fighting a blown up Middleweight bodybuilder,his legs were shot and it became almost a replica of the starling fight.Both knockdown were just his balance going.He left the Pazienza fight with not a mark on his face.

I think the hammer attack had a definite impact on Lloyd. It derailed his comeback.The only reason he went ahead with the Pazienza fight was it was already booked and was a very big payday for him at the time and was on American TV.

Being smashed over the head with a hammer and hospitalised 2 months before a big fight isnt ideal preparation.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  9. 88Chris05

88Chris05 Active Member Full Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Some great posts throughout this thread, which I'm admittedly very late to. It's been an education as all good threads are.

Back to the fight itself. Palomino was a touch vulnerable against speed, which Honeyghan certainly had. But he also had a pretty good antidote for that in his vicious body punching. He also had limitless stamina when at his best and was very cool in the championship rounds as he showed a few times.

The fast-twitching, energetic Honeyghan of the Rosi, Shufford and Curry fights would be a problem for Carlos, but I still see Palomino pulling this one out eventually. I think his durability, better ring IQ and body punching are the reassuring factors for him. Honeyghan was talented but not quite as much as he thought himself to be, and could be a little rash and easily drawn into fighting the wrong kind of fight. You can get away with that against a lot of guys, but against a guy like Palomino (just about as very good as a Welterweight champion can get without quite being great) he probably wouldn't.

I'll take Palomino very late, with the scores extremely close at the time of the stoppage.

10. LoadedGlove

Dec 6, 2019
    Lloyd left Lawless as he just saw a percentage going to Terry for no reason. Mickey Duff was the main man and Honeyghan didn't like Mickey much either.
    Lord knows what the whole Darren Dyer thing was.

11. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Sounds good Richard.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  12. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Thank you my friend.

mark ant and Fergy like this.