Carlos Palomino vs Pipino Cuevas

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by George Crowcroft, Sep 15, 2019.

1. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Over 15 rounds, @147lbs, who wins?

Was this ever on the cards? Amy insight on why didn't they fight or was the timing just not right?

2. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Was just done the other month

roughdiamond likes this.
  3. The Funny Man 7

The Funny Man 7 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 1, 2005
    I think Palomino gets past Cuevas, although that's tough to admit since Cuevas is one of my favorite from that era. Palomino was clever enough to avoid most of Pipino's big bombs, and although his chin wasn't quite on the level of Oliver McCall or Gerry Penalosa, it was only one rung below that; basically I think he was tough enough to weather Cuevas' worst.

You have to give Palomino credit for his willingness to travel outside of his comfort zone, including when he met the challenge of Davey Boy Green in London. He iced poor Davey Green almost as badly as Leonard later did.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  4. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Cuevas crushes Palomino in 2 like anyone else that wasn't 7 ft tall with a howitzer for a rt hand and named Tommy Hearns

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Roughhouse likes this.
  5. Roughhouse

Roughhouse Active Member Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Carlos struggled with the low ranked guys and tended to go a lot of rounds. Pipino nearly killed everyone he faced and you definitely didn't want to try and Outlast him in his prime. I think Carlos outslicks him for a few rounds and then ends up staring at the lights trying to remember who he just fought.

6. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    This fight was talked about during 1977, as a title unification bout. Both were very good fighters, Carlos had a good defense , could take a good punch as we saw against Green and Muniz. His competition was tough during his title reign until he ran into Benitez. A smart durable champion. Pipino was a very solid hard puncher who could fracture orbitals as with Billy Backus in 1978. A very competitive fight, Palomino hits the canvas early on, but as he exhibited in the Armando Muniz fight, he weathers the storm to claim a unanimous decision. Cuevas was not made to go 15 rounds and win.

7. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Why was Morlocks booted?

Also I pick Palomino as I did before. Sorry mate.

8. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Any specific reason it didn't happen? Or was it basically just Palomino lost vs Benitez and then Duran so it no longer made sense?

9. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    The fight did not happen in 1977, this was due to the respective governing bodies, WBA and WBC. There also was talk of Duran moving up from lightweight to welterweight to fight Palomino for the WBC welterweight title. We know what eventually happened when Carlos met Duran, no title on the line after Palomino lost to Benitez.

KeedCubano and George Crowcroft like this.
  10. ray fritz

ray fritz Active Member Full Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Carlos rather easy,Cuevas wasn't much 5 rds

rodney likes this.
  11. Curtis Lowe

Curtis Lowe Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Palomino by decision. Carlos boxes his ears off and out toughs him when he has to.

12. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Another one of those ones where strong arguments can be made either way imo. Palomino could indeed outbox him to a decision win but he might also get into serious trouble from Cuevas' crushing power.

The Morlocks likes this.
  13. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    "Cuevas sure does come out fast and he does seem to tire as the fight goes on. The problem is, he's liable to kill 2 or 3 guys before he tires." JACKIE MCCOY