Carmen Basilio v Wilfred Benitez

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by dpw417, Nov 21, 2014.

1. dpw417

dpw417 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 13, 2007
  2. kingfisher3

kingfisher3 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 9, 2011
    benitez, especially @ 154. say 9-6 or 10-5

3. timmers612

timmers612 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 25, 2005
    This is an interesting matchup at welter. The Benitez that easily avoided Palomino's onslaughts and most of SRL's for 15 rounds isn't going to be caught to the head much by the onion farmer but Carmen would also keep throwing to the body for the entire bout. I see this close with Wilfredo's cleaner shots giving him the edge.

4. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Benitez was way too gifted for Basilio IMHO..

5. Berlenbach

Berlenbach Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 27, 2011
    I actually like Basilio here. Benitez has nothing to deter him, and he tended to be lazy inside the ring (as well as outside). Basilio will punish him for that. Benitez should be tough enough with sufficient defensive savvy to survive but IMO Basilio outworks and outhustles him and wins a decision.

6. AREA 53

AREA 53 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 10, 2006
    My Initial feeling was that Carmen is too persistant for Wilfredo, and i see no reason to change that view, Try to Box with Wilfred and it will probably bring a smile to his Face... Try to find that Head... and you might think he is blessed with the Houdini Gene..
    Go for the Body, Miss with Punches..I, 2 and 3 See what Punches 4,5,and 6 gets you... Repeat Prescription... and Ernest Quantity may well overcome Intermittant Quality... A tolerant Ref who is not shy of a bit of rough-housing... The Carmen'Miranda Rights...
    Carmen by Late Stoppage...

7. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    The Bible of Boxing preaches his sermon, avoiding Basilio's shots with his heavenly radar and picking him apart for a comfortable decision.

Basilio is regarded as a brawler, but is a bit too calculating and cautious to rush in madly from what I've seen -- the Gavalan fight being a good example of allowing himself to be outboxed.

And Wilfredo had the ability to fight at close quarters (especially with his back to the ropes) and get the better of the action against this type of opponent.

8. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    C.mon guys,...Basilio was a great fighter but Benitez was greater...he had the stuff to dominate Duran...he'd do the same to Basilio as well.

9. Berlenbach

Sep 27, 2011
    He was also knocked around the ring by Bruce Curry and fortunate to escape with a split. I just see Basilio's ruggedness, relentless work and aggression being the right antidote to Benitez' style.

10. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    In hypothetical matchups like this you have to factor in the BEST version of a fighter.....Benitez vs Curry was NOT El Radar at his best.

11. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    If the Benitez of the Duran bout had faced Bruce Curry, he would have embarrassed Curry all night.

12. Berlenbach

Sep 27, 2011
    So Duran is the only Benitez performance we can refer to here? At the time of the Curry fight Benitez was 32-0-1, the reigning light-welterweight champ and a year away from winning the welterweight title. It's not as if this was some bout when he was completely shot. I don't see why it can't be mentioned. Gavilan is being held against Basilio.

13. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    I think Benitez improved considerably as he matured into a junior middle...I wouldn't penalize Benitez for his bout vs Curry in his 32nd bout anymore than I would Basilio for his losses to Chuck Davey or Billy Graham.

14. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    Berlenbach, in other words, you want to take a sub par version of Benitez vs a high level version of Basilio?