Catching up with Joe Laws

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by iceferg, Nov 2, 2020.

1. iceferg

iceferg Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Just been speaking to Joe Laws about what's next for him after his shock KO defeat to Rylan Charlton. Where he goes next under this current crowd free environment.

We also talked about that sparring session he had with Devin Haney where he still maintains that he made him quit.

This content is protected

There is the link to the video for anyone who might want to watch it.

N17, Patter983, Scissors and 4 others like this.
  2. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    "Wey ey man" and "a divvn no" is so hard on the ears at the best of times but was even more excrutiating with the echo lol.

Thing is, Joe just isn't that good. He looked like a white collar fighter that night against rylan, and in his previous fights, he was the same.
    Maybe he's what's known as ' a gym fighter' one of those lads who spar good but come fight night they seem to drop a level.
    Would be good if you could put up the spar he had with Haney on your channel when Joe sends you it over.
    If the plan was to box that night against rylan and he came out swinging like he did then he obviously isn't seasoned/ mature enough to listen to his team.
    This should be the first box that needs ticking both by the fighter and his trainer once a new partnership has been entered into imo.
    I know we are in unusual times but Joe needs a lot of work and he needs dropping back down to journeyman fights imo. He needs more learning fights with less pressure. He sells well but that won't last long if he keeps getting stopped.
    Needs to go back to the drawing board imo.

Tankatron, Scissors, Holler and 4 others like this.
  3. iceferg

Apr 25, 2008
    Sorry about the echo mate I had trouble in it on the last one with Rylan Charlton it'll be sorted for the next one.

This content is protected

There's the footage, there's a better version of it on Jeff Mayweather's page but it does appear in the edited highlights that Joe Laws gets the better of it.

Joe isn't a bum he was a good amateur who reached the ABA finals but I personally think he's got to make a few adjustments to progress to where he has the ability to in the pro game. He was trained by arguably of the best amateur in the world in Graeme Rutherford at Birtley. He may have went backwards since then but time will tell on that one mate.

4. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Just watched an Andy McCart IFL interview with Laws and Tommy Broadbent and he came across like a right ****ing tit.

Needs to grow up a bit, Broadbent had him on strings and he was biting each time coming out with daft comments.

5. Terminator

Terminator Active Member Full Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Laws is a professional window licker

DirtyOldTown likes this.
  6. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Bit of a crappy move releasing that footage on Laws part

Unwritten rule broken right there no?

N17 and Heisenberg like this.
  7. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Not going to go very far in the pro game and posting stuff like that ridiculous video with commentary of his spar with Haney will certainly close a few doors on him.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  8. Boxer1988

Boxer1988 New Member Full Member

Jan 5, 2021
    Seems a character but boxing wise needs to be told how to conduct his self in and around the sport / business and secondly needs to tidy his self up stay more compact with his hands up and chin down and make deliberate foot movements. He did look rather erratic in his last fight.

Could be decent domestic level if coached rite and done the basics well.

9. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Is there a video released of the Laws v Charlton highlights with the Benny Hill theme tune played over them? It would make a good sequel to the Laws and Haney spar, maybe Laws could commentate again too.

10. iceferg

Apr 25, 2008
    I don't think Laws released it originally I think it was on Jeff Mayweather's YouTube.

11. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Fair play if true

12. iceferg

Apr 25, 2008
    Yeah to be fair I heard he did sort of do this with another fighter from my area. In the interview he says the first Charlton was the first to ever drop him. I saw footage of another guy doing it and been told two other names that have allegedly dropped him in sparring since.

Regardless I'd like to see him bounce back and do well for himself.

13. DirtyOldTown

DirtyOldTown Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2016
    The fact I can see without clicking on it that he's wearing some stupid glasses is enough to make me not watch it. Bloke's an idiot.

14. aaaaa

aaaaa Ash banned Full Member

Dec 19, 2020
    Absolute weapon.

15. Shakermaker

Shakermaker Active Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2019
    My exact thoughts. Bloke seems a right knob