Champ Ingo vs Liston

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Longhhorn71, Mar 20, 2011.

1. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Lol

the left hook that knocked nobody out!

2. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Mmm... the person who detests daily heavyweight threads... bumps an ancient heavyweight thread.
    Curious.

Fergy likes this.
  3. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    "lol" that you only responded to the (minor) part of my post that mentioned Cleveland Williams, so you can predictably insult him once again. You have a worrying obsession with the man. You really need to get it checked out.

BlackCloud likes this.
  4. BlackCloud

BlackCloud I detest the daily heavyweight threads Full Member

Nov 22, 2012
    Hey guess what ?......I just done it again.....
    X.

5. JWSoats

JWSoats Active Member Full Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Had Ingo won the third Patterson match, I believe he would have defended against Liston. As defending champion, he would get a fantastic payday and if he lost could stand to profit from a lucrative rematch. In fact, that is what Floyd Patterson did. Ingo could hardly have done worse against Liston than Floyd did. I remember seeing a photo in Ring Magazine of Ingo and Liston meeting in Sweden shortly after Liston won the title. Liston was posing with a saxophone and Ingo standing beside him. The caption read that Ingo was angling for a title match with Sonny. So if Ingo was pursuing a title match with champion Sonny in 1962 it is most logical to conclude that he would have been willing to fight him earlier, especially if the money were right. When Ingo struggled to win a decision over Brian London in 1963, he apparently saw the writing on the wall and wisely retired.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  6. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
  7. Nick_M

Nick_M New Member Full Member

Jan 24, 2021
    I cant see Ingo lasting too long with Liston. Ingo does have a big right hand so Liston would have to be cautious, but Liston would most likely walk through Ingo and win in 3-4 rounds.

8. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    I think Ingo might make pee-pee just at the stare down...I doubt he ever faced anyone so fearsome. I see him getting overwhelmed...it might last into the 2nd round. I kind of doubt it.

9. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Sounds like a horror movie.

10. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Although Ingo blasted out Eddie Machen with the Bingo on Sept 14 1958 in round 1, Sonny Liston might have been rattled by that right hand in round 1, but the best is yet to come. Liston then would keep Ingo at bay with that pole like left jab. Then in round 2 as Ingo attempts to come in, he is met by a very vicious left hook that staggers him, then Liston steps in with a combination, culminating with another left hook which leaves Johansson flat on his back in round 2.

11. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    I can't foresee anything but rapid unconsciousness for Ingo against Liston.

12. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Especially after the Patterson series.