Champion s That Cleaned Out Their Division - Avoiding No one?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, May 10, 2022.

1. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Hagler did more than enough to retire on his own terms. No one says Duran ducked McCallum by taking on Hearns. Fans overthink these things and nitpick worse than the media @Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  2. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Like I mentioned, I do not think that Hagler ducked Graham, there was nothing to gain but the blessing of the WBA. I think that everyone has their own situation. As I also posted, by fighting Graham, Hagler gets the WBA off of his back, the fight against Leonard was only sanctioned by the WBC on the night of April 6 1987.

HolDat likes this.
  3. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    The GOAT SRR.

HolDat likes this.
  4. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    I'm not disagreeing. There was really no need to fight Graham. Seems like fans want boxers to fight everybody so they'll eventually lose.

5. FastLeft

FastLeft Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2022
    Leonard did not earn chance at 3 middleweight belts undisputed.
    with 1 fight over 5 year approximate 150 pound with Kevin Howard, also even it was around 3 year ago from chance at Hagler. He is retired former welterweight only.
    Not earned a chance above the middle weight rank list.

Same time multiple middleweight contender wait for chance & Hagler defend just every 12 month!

It is fair for Hagler to meet Leonard as voluntary superfight if he take some mandatory challenge before it.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  6. FastLeft

Apr 23, 2022
    If Hagler was in Graham place he would have made lot of complaints. That is truth.

7. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    This myth that McCallum was ducked by Hagler just won't go away will it?

As for Graham... I do think a case can be made that Hagler in an almost a year's time could have made room for a mandatory, but Hagler was at the point where he didn't have anything left to prove really and was looking for a big good bye. And let's not pretend that boxing fans were waiting with baited breath for a showdown with Graham. The Leonard fight, when it finally materialised, was what everyone bar WBA and Graham wanted.

BUT. If we would follow the logic for the massive flak Patterson gets for facing Rademacher three weeks after defending against the nr. 1 and side stepping Machen and Folley (whom there also wasn't much public demand for) for a more marketable contender (Harris), then Hagler should also get some for side stepping a top contender for someone unranked.

But the Patterson logic only seems to apply to him, though....

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  8. FastLeft

Apr 23, 2022
    The question = 'who avoided no one as champion?" & I love Hagler but his name was put in the answer & it clear true fact he avoided Graham/WBA mandatory challenge to fight non rank Leonard!
    I don't care he didn't fight Graham! but for the record of history it is truth he avoid that 1 fight. maybe the question of the page one I take literally or misunderstanding? we can agree we all love Hagler, as forever.

Levook and Bokaj like this.
  9. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Exhibitions aren't fights and Jones was on the slide by this time, but a good showing could have put him in a line for a title fight, so he had every reason to be motivated, and his weight, 195, was about the same as in their fight.

10. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    By the time McCallum really began to shine Hagler was
    one fight away from permanent retirement.
    It's was more bad timing for McCallum than anyone
    ducking him.
    Which in my opinion was fortunate for him .
    I believe he loses to Hagler, Hearns and Leonard.
    And very possible Duran if he's motivated and Benitez.
    McCallum has his own spin and insinuations for not
    getting any of those fighters in the ring.
    But it's mainly just his "Story".

11. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Yeah, we already progressed through those facts and considerations in the earlier discussion.

It would be interesting to identify and cite any other exhibitions in boxing history that were similarly intended to test the waters, that then did lead or progress to a fight and/or title shot and if the fight itself matched the dynamic and competitiveness upheld in the exhibition.

Bokaj likes this.
  12. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    There was close to a two year window, at least eighteen months and I agree it was more bad timing but certainly not good fortune .. I feel at 154 he beats Leonard, Hearns and the aging version of Hagler ..

13. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Leonard's legacy is that he is one of the greatest fighters ever and was already considered that by the time they fought. Graham has NEVER been considered that. Had Hagler stuck around after the Leonard fight, I am beyond certain he would have found time to beat the living **** out of Graham, even the slower, older version of Hagler.

14. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Great post here, John. What a surprise, lol

JohnThomas1 and Fergy like this.
  15. ikrasevic

ikrasevic For the honorable cross and the golden freedom Full Member

Nov 3, 2021