Champions Forever question

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by GoldenHulk, Jun 1, 2021.

1. GoldenHulk

GoldenHulk Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    I had the Champions forever vhs tape back in the 90's. i've seen its available on dvd. It's hosted by Reggie Jackson and has Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Holmes, and Norton in this documenntary. They discuss their fights with each other and their boxing careers. In the end there is a dinner with the champs segment. I saw somewhere in internet maybe on this site, that it wasnt included in the final documentary. Supposedly Joe Frazier was drinking during the dinner and started acting agressively towards Ali, and that Foreman and Holmes were taking turns keeping an eye on Frazier. Does anyone know more about this or can provide more info?

Richard M Murrieta and Kamikaze like this.
  2. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    I have the dvd, from what I remember Frazier starts taking his jacket off and so does Ali. It was light hearted but could have kicked off. I'm sure Holmes broke it up while laughing.

3. steve21

steve21 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 19, 2015
    I think I read it in the Sports Illustrated article about how Frazier was still angry at Ali after so many years; the gist of it was during a party after the Champions Forever premiere, Joe had too much to drink, was making angry eyes at Ali and looked ready to rumble. Ali was distracted and had no clue Joe was upset. Holmes caught wind of it and steered Frazier away for a while, then Foreman took over until Frazier cooled down. About all I heard of it, I don't know if any of the parties involved ever confirmed it, or expanded on it.

4. JWSoats

JWSoats Active Member Full Member

Apr 26, 2011
    I had heard about this incident - not sure if it happened at the dinner or somewhere else, but wherever it was, Joe apparently still had an axe to grind with Ali. I heard that Joe went over to a heavy bag and started punching it, punctuating each punch with a loud "HAH!" The story goes that he asked Ali if he could do that, to which in typical Ali fashion, he stood next to the bag, shouted out "HAH!" followed by "wanna see it again, Joe?" And I also heard that first Holmes, and then Foreman, stood in between Joe and Ali to make sure things did not get out of control.

DJN16 and GoldenHulk like this.
  5. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    I read that, too. They all traveled together to promote the documentary, appearing on a number of talk shows. And Frazier got upset with Ali on several occasions during the televised shows and afterward. Foreman was usually the one to get between them and kept the peace.

6. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Yes I had this on VHS back in the early 90 s. There was that bit at the end just before the credits rolled, I think it was play drunk acting, Joe was trying to get Ali and they had to hold him back.
    Preety sure it was messing around but who knows with Joe!

7. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    This is the bit I remember.

8. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I've watched Champions Forever several times and the incident mentioned seemed like light hearted banter in my opinion. All five looked like they were having the time of their lives making it.
    Always enjoyed that vid. I've often wished that they'd have done a follow up. This time featuring Duran,Hagler,Hearns & Leonard. Obviously with Marvin's sad passing,it could n't be done in quite the same way now.

Fergy and fists of fury like this.
  9. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Get Holyfield, Tyson, Bowe and Lewis instead. Maybe throw Golata in there as well as the Norton of the group since he like Norton was a common opponent of 3 of the group and never won a title in the ring either. Definitely be good to watch.

Stevie G likes this.
  10. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    It also looked more playful to me than anything, but I've also heard what the posters above mentioned. At least nothing happened, if true.

Like you said, a similar video featuring the Fab 4 would have been awesome to watch.

Stevie G likes this.
  11. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    It's an absolute brilliant vid in my opinion Stevie.
    Must have watched it a dozen times over the years.
    Glad they all got together all that time ago, now of course only George and Larry remain.

Stevie G likes this.
  12. Stiches Yarn

Stiches Yarn Active Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2021
    Riddick bowe would obviously start a fight with Lewis, holyfield roar in to separate them but he accidentally headbutt Tyson on his way in, who gets flashback of the second Holyfield fight. Mike hit Holyfield with a hook and from then on, a war between the 2 would have ensued.
    Golota , fearing the 4 brawling fighters would at one point turn at him and beat him up, panic and hit them all with low blows from behind.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  13. Stevie G

Jul 17, 2009
    Good idea. I reckon that there would still be an air of tension between Bowe and Lewis.

14. Stevie G

Jul 17, 2009
    The DVD edit has more of the dinner in it.

Fergy likes this.
  15. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    Really?
    I'm glad they put that in as well, rather than just being interviewed in studio etc. Shows them letting their hair down a little. Think a few drinks were probably put away that day Stevie. Lol.

Stevie G and Stiches Yarn like this.