Chanpion Burns Offered $20,00 To Defend Against McVey In Paris.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mcvey, Apr 29, 2017.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    After disposing of Jewey Smith,[April 1908,] Champion Tommy Burns was offered $20,000 to defend his title against Sam McVey in Paris.
    His response was, "I had made up my mind to fight only one negro,_that's Johnson, but I hate like the deuce to let this money get away from me".
    Give me a purse of $25,000,split $20,000 to the winner,and $5000 to the loser ,and a side bet of $5000 and I'll fight McVey here".
    Had he done so what would have been the result?

ps Burns had turned down the NSC's $12,500 offer to defend against Johnson.

reznick likes this.
  2. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Cool find. Would have been a hell of a fight. Burns needs to be given credit for fighting Johnson (finally) and for being a guy who seemed to be afraid of no one.

reznick and mcvey like this.
  3. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Mcvey at this point may not have been in his absolute prime but certainly in his physical prime. He was a strong powerful puncher. Burns however was very underrated. I'm going with Mcvey via 10 round ko in a tough fight.

mcvey likes this.
  4. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Just looked at this again.Chanpion? Been conversing with Mendoza too long!

5. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    My hunch is that McVea would have been all wrong for Burns.

6. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Judging by the film of McVea and Johnson, I have the opposite hunch.

7. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    What do you see Burns as having that would nulify McVea's size and power?

8. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Everyone Burns fought was bigger than him.

9. dempsey1234

dempsey1234 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 25, 2012
    In case you start your martyr routine. I find this thread interesting, since both were punchers it could have been a great fight or a boring fight. Punchers sometimes are cautious and fight differently when they face a puncher.

Just curious why the Johnson remark?

Now I find this interesting that Burns would consider fighting McVea if they upped the purse. I believe when there was a purse offering back in that time, as in the 20k offered meant that they had to split the 20k. So Burns' proposal sounds reasonable. It sounds like the promoter proposing the match didnt want to spend another 5k to make the fight happen, might have changed boxing history. If McVea had won, then the Johnson-Burns fight would not have been for the title, and boxing history would have changed.

10. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Usually not to this extent though.

McVea was 5' 11'' with a 78'' reach, and he weighed about 210lbs.

He also hit like a ton of bricks, harder than Jeffries in fact.

It is true that Burns managed to out slick Marvin Hart, but I think that this would be a bridge too far.

11. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Burns was a straight shooter who could both attack and respond to attack. McVea had an amateurish jab and seemed to be a bit of a wild, wide swinger who didn't seem to set up his attacks very well. Sure, he was a strong, powerful guy but Burns doesn't seem to be awed by anyone. And Burns himself could punch. But really, who knows?

mcvey and reznick like this.
  12. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Burns is very underrated. He keeps distance like Lomachenko. Light on his feet, can move in and out very comfortably. Confuses opponents using lateral movement and using his hands to obscure vision. Doesn't sacrifice balance much when punching. And some power that had some guys reeling.

Harder to tell with McVae since there isn't as much footage. But against Jim Johnson he seems strong as an ox, capable of throwing bombs.

mcvey likes this.