Charley Burley Vs Marvin Hagler

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by McGrain, Mar 29, 2021.

Who will win?

1. Wide Hagler Decision

22.2%
  2. Close, Clear Hagler Decision

55.6%
  3. Controversial Hagler Decision

3.7%
  4. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Controversial Draw

3.7%
  6. Wide Burley Decision

7.4%
  7. Close, Clear Burley Decision

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Controversial Burley Decision

7.4%
  1. Mark Dunham

Mark Dunham Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2021
    well if he is such a powerhouse, then why does he use this style and why does he clinch so often? Why isnt he more offensive minded?

No matter the number of times I watch him, he fails to impress and didnt deserve a title

Ive said it before; those who became champion, became champion because they were the most deserving

2. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Close, close fight. Burley's style and assets are about as bad as it gets for Marvin. Marvin would have to lead much of the night. It could come down to exactly how well Burley handles a southpaw. close decision either way for me.

ETM likes this.
  3. ecto55

ecto55 להחזיר את ממלכת דוד Full Member

May 28, 2009
    Bumping this because this thread kind of bugs me and i don't wont to forget about it....I really can't see how the poll can be so heavily in favour of Hagler.

Did people miss the crucial fact that this bout is fought in 1941? For me that's the tipping point - anyway, I'm voting for Burley on points (70%), with a slender chance of either Burley stopping Hagler (15%) or Hagler winning on points (15%).

I'll expand [in a day or two] on why I think the Hagler we know and love wouldn't be himself if he fought in 1941 and why Burley would be a freak among freak fighters if he had the privileged preparations that Hagler enjoyed in the 80's.

I think McGrain raised a v/good (to me secondary) point but no-one bit with Duran....I see Duran as a poor man's Burley at middle sans real power....the kind of one punch power to starch Walcott, Ray etc.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    McGrain and greynotsoold like this.
  4. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Man, I'd love to see more of Burley. I've seen so much of Hagler that it is hard not to have a bias.
    The Duran fight makes me wonder if Burley could make Marvin hesitant.

HolDat and Kamikaze like this.
  5. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Looking forward to your thoughts.

6. Kamikaze

Kamikaze No Fairy Tales• banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    You may not recover from this post- I suggest making a new account.

HolDat and Blaxx like this.
  7. Blaxx

Blaxx Member Full Member

Feb 8, 2018
    Basically Burley isn't knocking Hagler out or down. Nobody at 160 is.
    By all accounts, he isn't out working him either.

I see it being close, but Hagler always ahead due to greater activity.

Clinton, HolDat and Kamikaze like this.
  8. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Classic discussion : small vs big, old vs modern banned Full Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Hagler by brutal unanimous decision.

9. KasimirKid

KasimirKid Active Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2018
    I just don't see Burley as strong or powerful enough to hold off Hagler. Hagler was a smart fighter, too, and I think his strength tips the scale in his favor. Also, Marvin could switch from southpaw to "conventional" like Burley could from conventional to the portside, so Charley's tricks would be less effective against Marvin than they were against fighters in his era who weren't so comfortable against lefties.

Colonel Sanders likes this.
  10. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Duran held off Hagler comfortably and Burley would hit harder at 160 and i dare say be stronger.

KasimirKid likes this.
  11. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Does Burley have enough to prevent Hagler from taking this one wide? I'm not so sure. He's cute, but he's unlikely to be running around the ring, a la Leonard '87. Perhaps I have misread what is known about Burley's style - but, he appears to be too economical for dancing out of range, for long periods. (One presumes we're discussing a Prime Hagler here, anyway?)

I think the Hagler/Duran bout fails as a useful benchmark. Not least, because Hagler was in control of what he was doing, from start to finish, regardless of what Duran did or what the scorecards turned up by the end.

Would Burley be so keen to sit in the pocket, when Hagler's stinging accuracy begins and continues to make it's mark? Is Burley fast enough to avoid and counter on Hagler with a degree of consistency that could deter the Champ?

Not sold. As classy as Burley was, Hagler is somewhere higher-up the food-chain, in my opinion.

KasimirKid, Clinton and The Senator like this.
  12. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    I'll be on the Guinness in about 2 1/2 hours.

JohnThomas1 and McGrain like this.
  13. Clinton

Jan 22, 2009
    Excellent post, Senator

The Senator likes this.
  14. Clinton

Jan 22, 2009
    Another great post, my Alba friend.

15. Chuck1052

Chuck1052 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2013
    In his prime, Charley Burley was an a welterweight or a small middleweight, so he was not as big as Marvin Hagler. He lost two bouts to southpaws, the first one to Eddie Dolan and the second to Bert Lytell. In fairness to Burley, he won in a previous bout with Lytell.

Compared to Sugar Ray Robinson of 1940s vintage, Burley was not that consistent during his career. That is why I think that Ray was a better fighter than Burley. During the 1940s, Ray lost only one bout, one in which he was fighting Jake LaMotta, a truly great middleweight who was extremely strong and weighed 16 pounds more than Ray. In addition, Ray had a very lanky build. It is very possible that Burley could have beaten Ray, but evaluating fighters solely based on head-to-head matchups without considering how well they fared against other fighters is folly.

- Chuck Johnston

KasimirKid likes this.