Charley Burley Vs Marvin Hagler

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by McGrain, Mar 29, 2021.

Who will win?

1. Wide Hagler Decision

22.2%
  2. Close, Clear Hagler Decision

55.6%
  3. Controversial Hagler Decision

3.7%
  4. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Controversial Draw

3.7%
  6. Wide Burley Decision

7.4%
  7. Close, Clear Burley Decision

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Controversial Burley Decision

7.4%
  1. KasimirKid

KasimirKid Active Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Good points.

Chuck1052 likes this.
  2. Boxing GOAT

Boxing GOAT Member Full Member

Apr 2, 2020
    Burley, the guy who knocked Moore down four times in a short notice fight was only average on offense? Burley knocked down and knocked out some tough customers; Jack Chase, Holman Williams, The guy who Robinson avoided like the plague? Fifty of his 83 wins are by KO. Hardly what I would consider average offense, especially in that talent ripe era. Yes, he was more defense-minded, maybe not great for television, but still an ATG.

Hagler would have his hands full. Burley has taken punches from bigger and stronger opponents, so I don't see a knockout on either side of this encounter. As much of a fan I am of Hagler, it's hard for me to see him winning. On the other hand, there isn't much footage around of Burley to really make a just assessment of how he would perform. Like Greb, Burley wasn't a big favorite with fans, despite his ability to win.

roughdiamond and fists of fury like this.
  3. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Robinson would never fight Burley. Sugar was alot of things but stupid wasn't one of them.

4. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Burley by clear decision.

5. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Went Hagler, close but clear (assuming that this is Hagler at/near the form when he won a world championship). Yeah, Hagler could be hypnotized, but he always tended to snap out of it when needed-even arguably, in his last fight against SRL. So I think he'll lose a few rounds, but he'll win more by virtue of greater workrate and an ability to give Burley different looks due to his switch hitting.

Plus, we're setting this in the 1940's where aggression and working off the front foot tended to carry greater emphasis in terms of how rounds were scored. Can't see the naturally larger Hagler playing the role of backfoot fighter in this one.

Hagler UD 15 in an engrossing battle.

JohnThomas1 likes this.