Charlie Edwards v Julio Cesar Martinez Aguilar

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Mugen38, Aug 31, 2019.

1. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    It's not that late considering that Martinez didn't know that the knee was down. Maybe I was being a bit overzealous but Martinez was just battering him, the ref could have easily stopped that before as Edwards was showing absolutely nothing.

“His style works perfectly for me, it plays into my hands,” said Edwards. “He’s already told me that he’s going to knock me out. But when he doesn’t, things are going to get very tough for him and if he’s coming in with that mentality it shows he’s underrating me already and that’s not a good place to be.”

In hindsight looks a bigger fool with those comments.

2. syldave

syldave Member Full Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Exactly it was settled and I also just want to add that he should not ignore this and needs to query it with PP customer services, because I honestly don’t know the answer to this but that £230 could be classed as debt and come back to bite him on the ass down the line.

3. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    This Martinez dude is legit then huh

4. EJC83

Jan 20, 2019
    Instagram post today of Edwards on a beach abroad "time to recover", recover from 3 rounds of boxing.

Scissors likes this.
  5. emallini

emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Recover from 12 week camp

velagod, Accurate, Patter983 and 3 others like this.
  6. EJC83

Jan 20, 2019
    Yeah you're probably right, maybe my dislike of him is getting too much! Bloke at the moment today was looking at his Insta in horror, I need to stop looking myself!

7. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Those were 3 brutal rounds though. First not that bad, second quite bad, 3rd quite brutal.

There's no way he wins the rematch if it ever takes place.

8. ZiggerZagger

ZiggerZagger Active Member Full Member

Mar 13, 2012
    It being settled means nothing, do you think if a bet is settled in error they just say oh we've settled there's nothing we can do, this is in effect what has happened here. I spoke to someone yesterday quite high up at PP and he said that according to their betting rules they state 'official result published by the official governing body immediately or in a timely manner after the event is finished' and that's what they will go by in this instance.

Of course I'm on the punter's side here I had a bet myself but the bookies really have so many T&C's to hide behind it's unreal and if most people who had an online account read the extent to which they cover their ar**s they would NEVER use their account again.

As I say I hope the man gets to keep his money but I think most if not all will agree the one result this wasn't was a Martinez win, a NC at a push but should've been a DQ surely.

9. ZiggerZagger

ZiggerZagger Active Member Full Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Second line of their boxing rules reads 'Results are not official for betting purposes until verified by officials at the fighting venue', they will hide behind the fact that MS did not verify the Martinez win but declared it a NC.

10. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    This content is protected

Ah I like the WWE style of someone grabbing the mic and just making it up personally

EJC83 likes this.
  11. EJC83

Jan 20, 2019
    Absolutely no way Edwards takes the rematch, he'll vacate and hang around at the next weight waiting for an easy title shot. Yafai would be an easy one to make and there's beef there but I think Edwards would lose that. Ioka is the other current belt holder Edwards would probably fancy his chances against, Estrada and Ancajas would destroy him. Either he waits until they vacate and an easier shot at a title can be made or he cashes out with a fight against Yafai, waiting as long as he possibly can before taking it to try and face a fighter on the decline.

12. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Them two things aren't linked. Just because Martinez doesn't know he's down (which is rubbish, because Edwards is still and his head is below Martinez' groin), doesn't have any bearing on timing. Edwards takes a knee, Martinez pauses, steps to the side, and lets another punch go. Bit like one of the fights in Creed II.

No one is denying that Martinez was hurting Charlie and had gone well on top. I thought Edwards was boxing well in spurts but it became very clear he didn't have the power to hold off Martinez and essentially would have been marched down even if that ending hadn't happened. It doesn't change that it's an illegal punch and the fight should be a no-contest if you believe it was accidental, or a disqualification if not.

It's very clear that Edward's will also move up now.

13. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Still again, his lack of awareness when posting that is staggering. Some people really have a warped outlook on themselves.

14. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    This content is protected

Just seen this, very honest assessment from Sunny Edwards.

NasalSpray, Accurate and Dannymita like this.
  15. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Can we get Ivan Dychko some momentum Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Looking forward to the rematch

Some refs around the world would’ve stopped the fight before the actual stoppage