Chavez sr vs Duran

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Ph33rknot, Mar 24, 2019.

1. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    By the time of De Jesus III Duran could be whatever he wanted or needed to be, as he showed. He was anything but a brawler who was "very hittable".

Duran was extremely versatile at 135, more so than Chavez. Chavez had a great chin but i'm not sure how it is "better" than Duran's. A couple of flash kd's where he was unhurt against a top counter puncher over a decade or so is pretty impressive. Then we have him taking SRL, Hagler and Barkley's best at higher weights with barely a grimace. His chin is crazy good. Chavez had a great chin too at various weights but i can't say it's better as such.

2. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Chavez is great.

But Duran is better in every department. He would win a wide UD.

The style match up favours him as well.

Brixton Bomber and JohnThomas1 like this.
  3. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    This.

I always assume we're taking the best version of each fighter in these fantasy matchups and if we take '78 Duran against '87/'88 Chavez, I'd pick Duran, although I think it would be a great fight.

4. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly. I wouldn't even need a gun to my head to pick Duran. In my view, he's simply better than Chavez at pretty much everything. The only exception might be chin. Even Chavez famed body attack isn't going to deter Duran who dug to the body just about as well and had more power too boot. I know people don't like saying Duran should win against another ATG because it seems like we're slighting the ATG he's beating, but in this case I don't think that's the case. You'll never convince me that Chavez style is the style to beat Duran, it's actually the opposite of that, and not a good style against Duran. I'd favor Pea's chances much more than I'd favor Chavez's against Duran.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  5. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Duran
    So much more versatile
    He can basically do everything better than Chavez

6. BundiniBlack

BundiniBlack Well-Known Member Full Member

May 20, 2015
    It's always been strange that people use the 3rd DeJesus fight as this career performance. DeJesus won at least 3 or 4 rounds in that fight and had been beaten by Cervantes WAAAAAY more convincingly than Duran ever did.

7. BundiniBlack

May 20, 2015
    Not at 135

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  8. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Duran was as John said a bit better in just about every phase. Julio did go to the body more consistently. Probably cuz he needed to has Duran hit harder punch for punch. The biggest difference I believe would be Duran's boxing ability. He was quicker with his hands much more slippery on defense as he was able to roll with punches and and take the steam out of them better than Chavez could. Julio took punches moore square. Chavez was tough as nails no question. I think he last the distance against Duran.
    It's a good possibility that lightweight was the best division for Chavez though he didn't stay there as long as he could have. It's a fantastic fight a vicious fight and I wouldn't blame anybody for picking Julio though I would like to see their logic on it.

roughdiamond likes this.
  9. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Cervantes great fighter but remember that fight was at 140 lb. Duran knocked out De Jesus twice and in the third fight almost killed the man . Hard to be more convincing. The reason people use the third fight is because Duran had evolved from just a slugger with speed to a more patient boxer who almost toyed with another excellent fighter. Duran was in total control in Las Vegas had Arcel sent him an earlier he probably knocked him out a few rounds before but he was having fun inflicting pain on his rival.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  10. BundiniBlack

May 20, 2015
    This is just not true of Duran at 135. Chavez had quicker hands, better head movement and a better jab than Duran did.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  11. KuRuPT

Aug 26, 2011
    and Bowe beat Holyfield way more convincingly than Lewis did. Does that mean Bowe is above Louis, or that Lewis wasn't near the HW he could become? No to both of those. Styles make fights, and so Cervantes doing that to Dejesus is of little value here. I see a Duran that mixed his aggression with his boxing skills, that mixed his infighting with his outfighting very well. I see a more sound and fundamental Duran. That is why people say that. He likely could've gone balls to the wall and finished him earlier, but he had more patience at this point and knew the openings would come and he could get aggressive then. So it was all that, not how many rounds Dejesus won before refusing to get up to take anymore of a beating.

ETM likes this.
  12. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Really? I don't see what you're seeing. Do you think Duran was quicker at 47? Because he damn near matched handspeed with Ray Leonard. De Jesus was quicker than Chavez in my opinion and that's why it would be close to a toss-up though I probably would favor Julio to wear him down.
    Julio was great at cutting off the ring working the body. He had heavy hands he made fighters quit on their stools like Mayweather, Fuentes etc. Precise on the inside he picked his punches but also was very busy. Not saying Julio couldn't box better than maybe he was given credit for. I don't want to use fights at 140 or 47 to show that he couldn't hand with Duran because I do believe that lightweight Chavez probably peaked.
    Though if you were saying he was quicker than Duran stronger than Duran hit harder or had even close to as good a defense I'll have to disagree very strongly.

13. KuRuPT

Aug 26, 2011
    what to all these things... he actually did none of those things better.

roughdiamond and ETM like this.
  14. ray fritz

ray fritz Active Member Full Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Im one of the Legion.Hands of Stone dec

15. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    It’s amazing that Duran was ever in a competitive fight since he does “everything” better than “everyone” “ever”. All hail the new GOAT