Chavez-Taylor I...Round 12

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Illmatic, Aug 8, 2007.

1. hitman_hatton1

hitman_hatton1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    i still say it's a bad stoppage.

for me it's the fact he's up so early.

he's up at like 3 or 4.

u don't stop a guy who's standing stock still and rises early. :patsch

2. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    taylor was destined to lose as soon as he hit the canvas. if steel would have allowed the fight to continue, he would have been required to immediately stop it since a trainer jumping up on the apron before the bell is a disqualification.

3. stillafan

stillafan Member Full Member

Jul 27, 2004
    hittman hatton 1, what about the fact that he didnt answer when asked if he was ok?? is the ref supposed to let an unresponsive fighter continue?

4. Jason997

Jason997 Active Member Full Member

Nov 4, 2006
    This is one of the greatest spectacles in sports history. Both men deserve an incredible amount of credit and respect. Taylor fought a great fight and went out on his shield. He was a warrior who went toe to toe and beat one of the greatest fighters ever for the majority of the fight.

It is really hard to describe Chavez's effort with words. This was the greatest comeback in boxing history. When I was a kid I remember seeing this fight at my grandfathers house. Chavez became my idol and boxing became my sport.

- Jason

5. divac

divac VIP Member Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    I've never seen anybody who's against the stoppage, legitly be able to answer that question.

I've seen fighters who get knocked down and who are mentally out of it get up all the time.
    Getting up from a knockdown does not mean a fighter is fit to continue.

In many instances, the fighter knocked down does'nt know where the hell he's at, but instinctively gets up......
    I believe this was the case with Meldrick Taylor.
    When you look at the replay, Taylor helped himself up with the ring ropes, and then stood there with a blank stare, holding himself up with the ring ropes.

As Steele stopped the fight, Taylor continued to hold the ropes. Likely because his legs alone could'nt hold his weight at that point.

How the hell does a referee let the fight continue after observing all the signs of a fighter out or it, and then does'nt respond to the refs question of are you OK....explain that to us Biggame.

Its absurd for me to think that someone who does'nt have rooting interest for or against a fighter can honestly say that Steele was wrong in his common sense decision to stop the fight!:-(