Chicos words of wisdom to all elite boxers...

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by achillesthegreat, Jun 28, 2007.

1. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    "I just want to fight the top guys. It is not about the money. You just want to see where you place. Where is your standing in your current time with all the best? The only way you can do that is by fighting the best, and that is what I do. I want to know where I place. Where do I rate with these guys? Am I really one of the best fighters out there, or am I a flash in the pan? So far, I have proved that I am one of the best out there, and I am fortunate for that. I am not a flash in the pan."
    - Diego "Chico" Corrales

2. Decebal

Decebal Lucian Bute Full Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Does anyone know Carl Froch's email address?

3. achillesthegreat

Jul 21, 2004
    Don't hate. Froch is no *****. Froch has been continually stepping up. A bit slow but he's always stepping up. Next he wants the Euro champ. He is just going a different way about being the number 1. Euro guys do it a little different sometimes. They become national and then euro champ and then they go for the big honours.

Froch wanted Reid and Calzaghe years ago. Stupidly so but he still wanted them.

4. FlatNose

FlatNose Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Hey, give him Roy Jones address.

5. Snakefist

Snakefist Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 20, 2007
    Nice, who did roy not fight, that he was supposed to, or who didn't actually TURN him down?

6. Motor City Sam

Motor City Sam Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Fine words from Chico, who had a very entertaining style in the ring. But I would also say to all elite boxers that even if it's not ALL about the money, it's at least partly about the money. I have no problem with a guy making as much as he can in the ring and no one wants to leave the game with less to show for it than they should. I guess the best scenario is being able to challenge the top fighters out there and make a ton of money in the process. But everyone can't be Oscar De La Hoya.

7. acb

acb De Camaguey... Gavilan Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Excellent post Achilles, and a great quote from Chico, a true fighter.

8. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    A great mentality, except money IS important.

Look at the financial problems his family has.

9. achillesthegreat

Jul 21, 2004
    Personally I'd say its a fact that if you are as good as you say and fight the big fights you do get paid. Even if you stay competative you'll still keep getting paid.

What Ali, De La Hoya, Leonard etc got wasn't just because they were loved, it's because they fought the main fights. If you are THAT loved you get paid like Gatti but few can really get great followings. To have the legacy, the REAL money, the adulation etc you need to watch guys like Ali, DLH, Leonard etc

Look at Floyd for example. He gets paid much more than guys who are more loved than him. Cos he fights big fights and keeps progressing his legacy be it big fights or new divisions. Floyds progressively been getting more money since he fought Hernandez. Literally every fight he gets more because he is stepping up in some shape or form.

Look at the guys who moan about their money, had they fought so and so or done so and so then their money would have shot up.

You will get guys who fight the big fights but get done i.e. Casa, Castillo, Corrales etc those guys got to keep chipping away, eventually Castillo and Corrales did break through and made some millions.

10. Decebal

Mar 10, 2007
    :good OK.

Froch has recently decided to step up slowly, taking his time, learning his trade properly. I was glad about this change of attitude - not long ago, he had been calling out for Bute, then Kessler, then Calzaghe!...But now, he has changed again: he is calling out Taylor!

I was glad when I heard that Forch decided to take the sensible route to the top, and concentrate on fighting, rather than mouthing off. And then he calls out Taylor!...I do not hate him and I don't hate others either, although I do have my favourites. Also, some I respect more than others. But he cannot have his cake and eat it at the same time, can he? If he wants to fight the best, should he not start with Inkin?

Why is he calling out Taylor, or thinking about Reid, when Inkin is the big white elephant in the middle of the room? Alternatively, should he not stop calling top guys out, and concentrate quietly with dignity on raising his game? I would be fine with that too, although his fans seem not to be - they expect more from him, and he has done a lot to hype himself too. Am I wrong?

11. achillesthegreat

Jul 21, 2004
    Froch is so delusional he'd fight em all.

Froch has consistently stepped up from English title to British to Commonwealth and now is looking to Europe and title eliminators.

Inkin does not want Froch. Froch called him out, said lets do it and unify who the no1 contender should be. Inkin doesn't want it.

Froch needs Reid so whatever happens he can say I beat ALL my domestic competition (not including Calzaghe cos hes on the world stage).

12. Decebal

Mar 10, 2007
    If Inkin doesn't want to fight Froch, than whom does he want to fight. I hope it's someone like Bute. Inkin, Froch and Bute are the guys that should NOT be dodging each other. They should NOT be afraid to clash and lose and fight again. What are they waiting for. Bute has Berrio, then, if he beats him, his first defence. I would expect him to call out someone decent. Would it not be great if it could be the winner of Froch v. Inkin?

13. achillesthegreat

Jul 21, 2004
    Inkin blatently wants to kill time then cash in with a loss to Calzaghe, Kessler or even Bute.

14. Decebal

Mar 10, 2007
    well, then screw him...I always quote your words to people when dodging comes into play: putting everything on the line, daring to be great, this is what is important at world class level. That's why I was attracted to this thread and to Chico's inspirational words. I still have hopes that however talented or not Bute is, he will go this route, no matter what, not thinking of money first and foremost. If I'm wrong, I will not be more lenient with him than I am with Froch and Inkin in this thread. In fact, I am going to be much more harsh, as harsh as I am with Calzaghe...

15. achillesthegreat

Jul 21, 2004
    You got two routes - both of which I'm cool with but give the latter more credit.

1) Slowly go through the levels ala Cotto. This is what Bute has admitted he will do. Become IBF champ, get a defence or two in and then look to Kessler v Calzaghe winner.

2) Step the **** up and really dare. Look at guys like Ali or Mayweather. They did it early and against guys who had more experience, better wins, title etc

Option two comes with a strong backlash. It's not always wise. So if a boxer is take the safer (maybe smarter) route then so be it. As long as when the big stage comes calling they immerse themself in it and stay battling to be the best and maybe even the best ever. I'm think Taylor, I'm thinking DLH, I'm even thinking Pacquiao and some others.