Chins and size. Is there a Correlation?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Eel87

Eel87 Active Member Full Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Felix Trinidad was knocked down a lot due to balance/positioning but had a pretty solid chin.
    Corrales is a guy that was knocked down a lot due to slow reactions like choklab said.

2. sponge

sponge Active Member Full Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Floyd had the best chin of them all.

3. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    when hit onthe chin, how does the extra weight absorb the punch?

Glass City Cobra likes this.
  4. xosttel

xosttel New Member Full Member

Dec 17, 2016
    No, A flyweight and a heavyweight have the same biology.
    It is a spurious relationship to make because of the fact that guys punch harder the more they weigh so that just means there is more filtering for better chins too as you get into the heavier weights.
    All evidence points to IMO that having a great chin and being resistant to CTE is a random genetic gift.

5. BoxingFanMike

BoxingFanMike Member Full Member

Jul 13, 2014
    You are right about the fact that the punch can still do some show stopping harm, but this is not because the statement about mass is not correct, I didn't want to put a bunch of blabber in here, but from a physics perspective, mass effects it quite a bit actually. This is long established, and I try to explain below, but most important is the sentence I write at the end, as it gives context.
    For punch impact, there are four quantities which are the same for both fighters involved. Each fighter experiences the same force (Newton's third law) for the same amount of time (i.e. the punch landing), leading to the same impulse (this is what is required to stop/halt the momentum of the 2 object, i.e. fist and face), and subsequently the same momentum change. Only the acceleration and the velocity change will differ for the two colliding entities (fist, chin, which are an extension of fighter A, and fighter B), with the lower mass object (i.e. which is by extension the lower mass fighter) always receives the greater velocity change and acceleration. The larger the mass, the more the change of velocity on the impacting object, with the higher mass object always producing a greater effect to the smaller. This is actually why we have different weight classes, etc, and why a bug goes splat on your windshield.
    BUT, for all my egghead mumbo jumbo, the problem is for something like an impact from a punch, there are many other variables involved that also significantly alter the result that the punch produces, such as exactly where it lands, angle of impact, etc. so you have fun things like vector principles etc that really need to be considered. So, to make a short story long, mass absolutely effects results, but it is not the only factor involved and the nature of the other factors involved may make it less of a factor. This is why things are measured in vacuum etc. because you have to remove variants, but in the real world we do not live in a vacuum.
    There is no doubt in my mind that a 180 pound man can deliver a shot that would drop or KO a 250 pound man, but he would be starting from a disadvantage in certain areas.
    Apologies in advance if this answer sounded academic or smarty pants, because I really don't mean it as such.

choklab and Mendoza like this.
  6. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    The connection has to be hard enough to rattle the guys head. The punch itself is just half of the connection.

A guys own weight produces half of the connection he is hit with!

But having more weight to force a constant forward momentum can decrease the leverage of the opposition some of the time. If you have enough size to adequately smother your opponent (if you want to) then you can sometimes decrease his connections some of the time.

But at the end of the day, if you don't anticipate a heavy blow that connects full force that's it. You walk in, The head rattles and you are down.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    BoxingFanMike likes this.
  7. BoxingFanMike

Jul 13, 2014
    Yup, this sort of captures everything I tried to say in the paragraphs before, in just a sentence, well stated sir.

choklab likes this.
  8. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    In physics it is easier to move a lighter object. The heavier the object the more force required to move it.

So yes size matters.

BoxingFanMike likes this.
  9. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Great post. A+. Post more often please.

10. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Youre talking about static strength. The goal in boxing isnt to push or "move" the oponent, its to knock them out. The faster, snappier punches usually get this done.

If im pushing a wheelbarrow, do i exert slow, static force and use slow twitch muscle fibers, or do i suddenly "snap"my arms out while attempting to move it?

In combat sports, unless you have freakish thudding power like a foreman, your opponent isnt going to get pushed or move very far. More often then not a knockout results because the guys didnt see it coming, didnt have time to brace himself, had poor balance, etc. The connection between brain and body is temporarely disabled by a sharp, jolting pain and trauma to the head.

A boxer wants to be as fast as possible, get n and get out with his punches to avoid getting hit back. Furthermore, short sharp punches or blows thrown with very little wind up can cause serious damage and instantly drop a guy with the correct technique. This is especially true if done at just the right angle clipping a guy in the chin, temple, body blow, etc.

11. HerolGee

Sep 22, 2010
    explain how the mass will mean that the brain is cushioned from being hit on the chin. Keeping in mind that the mass you speak of does not contribute to matter beteen chin and brain.

we are talking specifically about being hit on the chin. The only mass that comes into this is what is on chin and between it and brain.

explain therefore how this mass between chin and brain is increased with an increase in 20lb weight.

12. HerolGee

Sep 22, 2010
    this bit is fine if you are meaning that hieght and reach contribute to NOT gettinghit as hard.
    But you appear to arguing that extra weight means your chin is stronger? ornot? which is Mendoza's argument, fat makes chin better.

13. BoxingFanMike

Jul 13, 2014
    This is not how it works with respect to mass. Mass will influence the behaviour of the object in a collision, this is fact. It is not the only consideration, at all, and I was clear about that.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/momentum/u4l1b.cfm
    http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/momentum/Lesson-1/Real-World-Applications
    The second link actually has an example related to rolling with a punch, using the example of force and time.
    The point I was trying to make was that mass is a part of the equation, and a change in the mass of an object will effect the result.
    Look at any list of formulae for measuring collisions, mass is a component. It is not the only thing involved, but you cannot measure without it.

14. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Let’s look at it this way.

We would expect a superheavyweight to have at least average power or physical strength for a heavyweight.

Many of them clearly had well below average durability for a heavyweight.

louis54 likes this.
  15. HerolGee

Sep 22, 2010

how much more likely does it make you to knock someone out with a hit on the chin whether they weight a few more pounds?
    explain how hitting someone on the chin is not how a ko works.

that mass is not between chin and brain.

explain how the mass reduces a punch on the chin delivering force to the brain for a ko, at the moment the punch connects.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017