Chris Byrd vs. Max Schmeling

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by reznick, Dec 5, 2017.

1. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    How do you guys think the Klitschko arch enemy does versus the one who conquered the bomber?

2. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    On paper Byrd is the type of fighter that Schmeling excelled against, except for the awkward detail of him being a southpaw.

3. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Max has the skill to eventually lay a glove squarely on Byrd (though it may take some puzzling over) and when he does, goodnight.

4. bodhi

bodhi Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Well, as Janitor already wrote Schmeling has a style advantage here. Byrd is for once the bigger man in the ring, quite slick and would be one of the fastest fighters that Schmeling faced and a southpaw (don't think Max ever fought one).
    However, Schmeling has the perfect tools to do what he often did, methodically exposing the flaws of his opponent and making them pay for it. Schmeling would have some issues in the beginning due to Byrd's slickness and southpaw stance but after 3-4 rounds he would have adjusted and started to use and land his right constistently to great effect. As durable as Byrd is, I do not think he goes past ten here.

RockyJim and Hookandjab like this.
  5. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Max stops him late on.

RockyJim likes this.
  6. Butch Coolidge

Butch Coolidge Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Byrd via late stoppage. Byrd would simply land more leather and wear Schmelling down.

Gazelle Punch and Pat M like this.
  7. Hookandjab

Hookandjab Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Max would figure him out and that right hand would start landing until Chris succumbed.

RockyJim and Jackomano like this.
  8. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Chris holds almost all cards here. I don't think Max is quick enough to really catch Byrd and don't think Max hits near on the level of an Ike or Wlad. Byrd wins a wide UD with no really scary moments because when Max lands he can not follow up sufficiently.

Gazelle Punch and Pat M like this.
  9. Pugilist_Spec

Pugilist_Spec Hands Of Stone Full Member

Aug 17, 2015
    Byrds whole style was based around giving away size. He made massive heavyweights look awkward and lumbering but I'm not sure how well that would play out against a smaller, quicker heavyweight like Schmeling. I like Max here.

10. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Schmeling wasn't just any 190lb man though, was he?

11. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Very cool fight.

IntentionalButt likes this.
  12. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    I think Byrd outpoints him but Schmeling makes him work for it.

13. Bukkake

Bukkake Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I think Byrd wins quite easily.

Seamus and Pat M like this.
  14. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Byrdman. Going away.

Max would not land much on this guy and the more fatigued he gets the sloppier he gets. Chris would land those 1-2 combos of his at will the second half of the fight. Just pepper away at the guy. And his head movement and feints would not see him caught by a big right hand. Without landing a big right hand, what chance does Schmeling really have?

Pat M likes this.
  15. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I fancy Byrd here. Clever, hardworking boxer with a good defence and a good chin. And for once he isn't outweighed by 30lb ... in fact, he's the bigger man. I think he might take it on points, he didn't hit particularly hard and Schmeling was a rough customer.

Pat M likes this.