Chris Snr: I was the toughest

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Bulldog24, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    http://www.nowboxing.com/2018/08/chris-eubank-snr-i-was-the-toughest-man/37890/

Chris 'Simply the Best' Eubank (52) was the superstar of European boxing of the early 1990s. A little known fact is the Brit actually turned pro in Atlantic City in October 1985. More surprising young Snr revelations are revealed in this interview given at London's Dorchester Hotel, as well as opinions on certain opponents and performances in this fascinating insight to the legend.

Chris, most of us know very little of your early boxing endeavours prior to beating Nigel Benn in 1990. Give us a rundown!

I began boxing in February 1983 as a means to lose weight. I was 14 stone at 16 years old because I had so much money in London as a high-end shoplifter with a market stool that I ate McDonalds three times a day and caught taxis everywhere. I began boxing at a gym in New York, The Bronx, after jumping police bail to fly over and stay with my mother, who had escaped my father there.

To cut a long story short, I became obsessed with mastering the left hook to be taken on by the main trainer there in Maximo Pierret, and obsessed with being able to move like the top boxer we had there in Dennis Cruz. I seeked acceptance all my life from my teachers and my elder brothers, none of whom gave it to me.

If I could master the left hook, Pierret would accept me. And if I could move like Cruz, I knew the rest of the gym would accept me. That was really it. I practiced more than everyone else in the gym.

Did you have a knack for the sport from the off?

I had a talent for speed, accuracy and timing and the jab and right hand came naturally to me. But it took me years and years to fully develop all the shots with power and perfect the defensive moves and ring generalship.

So that's the up and all of it really. I had 26 amateur contests, won the Spanish Golden Gloves and boxed at the Madison Square Gardens in the Golden Gloves. I fought such opponents as Teddy Atlas, Merqui Sosa, Dennis Milton, Rey Rivera and Frank Liles. I beat Milton and Sosa and Rivera with my jab and feet but lost to Liles as he was a tall southpaw. Atlas bit my ear and it was one of my first ever fights and I lost composure, a 16 or 17 year old Mike Tyson was there.

I turned pro at just gone 19 to pay bills. I wasn't funded to stay amateur for three or seven more years and go to the Olympics. I had to do it the hard way and really that's why I succeeded in the end against Benn and Watson - they were better fighters than me with more natural strength, power and balance and were meticulously trained and heavily backed financially.

I trained myself and slept on a beaten up mattress on the floor or a beaten up sofa, with no car and no money for quality nutrition. I beat Benn and Watson because I was the hardest man. They did low intensity British sparring to develop their skill sets. All I knew was super high intensity sparring which just developed toughness, and most of my skill work came through obsessive shadow boxing.

What was the first real test of your professional career?

Anthony Logan. He was rated 16 with the WBC, but more than that, had the extremely highly rated Benn down and nearly out of there a few times. I was still a bit raw and novice-like at 22. I beat him on points over eight rounds at the Albert Hall on ITV where my talent was very clear to see.

What do you believe was your best performance?

In terms of pure boxing I would say the first Watson fight until the last three rounds when dehydration from starving myself of food and water kicked in; we weighed in at 11 stone and 6 lbs. a few hours before the fight.

Overall, maybe Benn I, because I outboxed (him) and took him out and took my licks along the way; I didn't just cover up and he didn't just swing.

Wharton was a wonderful performance because his style suited me down to the ground; I didn't just tee off and tee off like in the Watson II, Collins II and Calzaghe fights when they came at me - I threw compact combinations always behind the basic jab.

People downtalk the WBO title as being weaker than the other three belts. What are your thoughts?

The fighter makes the belt. All four are equal and if they're not, it means WBC is the top one supposedly. In that respect, I drew with the WBC champion which would have made me equal best in that respect. But the belts are really (about) who holds it - he makes it.

In the fight after in actual fact I face a Rocchigiani whom never lost his IBF belt I think it was, and I beat this man in his backyard, who then goes on to beat a Michael Nunn who at this time that me and Rocchigiani fight was the WBA holder. So there you go. And James Toney and I both defeated Mr Tony Thornton by 8-4 at a time Toney is rated the best fighter in boxing, pound for pound. So make of that what one will.

Joe Calzaghe to this day says you were the toughest fight of his career. Did you see him going a further 10 years unbeaten back then?

I saw him as extremely good, much better than I expected. I grossly underestimated him. I would've said no because defending a championship against hungry contenders four times a year is like a superhuman gauntlet. But for Joe that lack of activity level preserved him somewhat, but he was great - I mean super fast hands, really awkward style, a big and strong and fit competitor and he could bang when he had to. That was a huge task to overcome.

This content is protected

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  2. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict Full Member

May 31, 2010
    Does this mean young CHRIS has been given the nod to face callum mollasus?

Has shot George finally accepted defeat in his battle against retirement since his double cobraing and twelve gruelling rounds with the young war machine?

3. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    If you (Chris Senior) were the toughest, how on Earth did you raise a son who has zero mental toughness?

A "man" who froze like an ice statue in his two biggest fights, and still thinks its normal that a fighter at that level is too good to need a trainer? Dont you think the whole "dont need a trainer" thing is one of the most ******ed things ever uttered in boxing?

You know, Cwis. Just asking.:wave:

4. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    AJ modelled his 'humble' persona on this man.

5. Sphillips

Sphillips Active Member Full Member

Nov 14, 2017
    I don’t like Junior but he didn’t lack mental toughness in either of those fights.

6. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    In the Grove fight he did not put it all on the line, in a fight where he was being controlled very easily and losing clearly.

Thats on him.

7. mstar

mstar Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Read his book it's fascinating people don't realise his massive beatings he took in the US gyms trying to make his name with no money. A legend.

8. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Chris Eubank Snr was an exceptionally tough, determined and very dangerous human being.

hammertime, lloydturnip, DON1 and 4 others like this.
  9. Bulldog24

Aug 2, 2013
    They tried to break him in the South Bronx gyms, giving him 15-round 'smokers' with light-heavies and cruisers in their mid-20s at Apollo Boxing Club when he was 17-21 and 154lb just for some free food. These fights would be held in front of 100-150 people hedging bets.

He sparred heavies at Gleason's Gym in 1987 and slept on the concrete steps outside, having walked 20+ miles with his gym bag consisting of ripped vests and rags and dirty trousers and some broken Adidas boxing shoes and a dirty towel...

lloydturnip and DJN16 like this.
  10. Bulldog24

Aug 2, 2013
    I don't think they liked his posh English accent and proud body language.

11. 305th

305th Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 28, 2018
    His book is a great read. What I like about Eubank aside from his fighting, was that he doesn't or didn't use to at least make a particularly big thing about what a rough background he had and the trial by fire he had in the New York gyms. Prior to moving there, he was basically an English version of Mike Tyson in terms of delinquency as a young street kid from Peckham.

Rumour has it (according to Louis Theroux) that when he's seriously pissed off he reverts back to a South London accent!

12. Bulldog24

Aug 2, 2013
    When he's drunk, he's been known to talk C-ockney, say 'Man', and not pronounce his H's

13. Sphillips

Sphillips Active Member Full Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Ha ha.

I love the trial by fire stories but 20+ miles walk to the gym? We don’t need to lie man.

robert ungurean likes this.
  14. SambaKing7

SambaKing7 Member banned Full Member

Aug 7, 2018
    I don't believe his story of fighting Atlas for one minute haha

Mighty Moe and robert ungurean like this.
  15. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    And the most modest too.