Chuck Wepner Says That Sonny Liston Hit Harder Than George Foreman

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Hydraulix, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Hydraulix

Hydraulix Left Hook From Hell.. Full Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Chuck got his behind whooped by both men. Sonny was over the hill when they fought, but Chuck still stated that Sonny was the hardest puncher he ever faced. I always assumed that George was the harder puncher. Interesting.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALLNXdjwnxA[/ame]

2. tommygun711

tommygun711 The Future Full Member

Dec 26, 2009
    and wepner got punched A LOT. I'm a big Liston fan and I still think George hit him harder but I guess wepner himself knows better.
    I saw this documentary. it was very well made. maybe it was because Liston was the more polished technician and more skilled, so HD felt the pain over time, while foreman ended it much quicker. I'm not sure.

3. RockysSplitNose

RockysSplitNose Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 15, 2007

No surprise to me whatsoever - Liston was a beast - and a much better fighter all round than Foreman. I think Liston would have had Foreman out of there too, he was a pure killer - totally awesome physical and psychological presence if not the most intimidating man ever at heavy and quite a good technical boxer too, which sometimes gets overlooked - all the tools - in all the fights I have of Listons I always get the impression that Liston has an unfair advantage over everyone because he had such massive physical power and crushing punching - Foreman was scary too don't get me wrong but just a poor mans imitation of Sonny.

4. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I think that more than one person who shared a ring with both said that Liston hit harder.

Reinhardt and swagdelfadeel like this.
  5. TheGreatA

TheGreatA Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Foreman vs Wepner ended quite early on a cut although Wepner took his fair share of punishment before the stoppage. He may not have taken Foreman's best punches though, while Liston cut him to bits in a 10 round beating.

6. The Funny Man 7

The Funny Man 7 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 1, 2005
    I think Foreman's best shots were harder but but Liston landed a lot of very hard, accurate shots over the course of 10 rounds so that might inform Wepner's comment.

7. clark

clark Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 15, 2005
    I've noticed fighters changing opinions on stuff like this. Depends on the day and who is interviewing them. A few rounds with George and Wepner might of told a different story.
    I've read where Norton said Foreman hit the hardest. Others have stated that Norton said Shavers. It gets to be ridiculous.

richdanahuff likes this.
  8. Bill1234

Bill1234 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    I've never seen Norton say Foreman hit harder.

Reinhardt likes this.
  9. clark

clark Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 15, 2005
    I remember reading that Norton said Foreman.

10. prime

prime BOX! Writing Champion Full Member

Feb 27, 2006
    I recall reading in an old Boxing Illustrated how some bloke wrote in to challenge the logical conclusion from Wepner's statement.

Foreman was young and relatively inexperienced, yet stopped Wepner early. This would include George's negligible amateur career prior to medaling.

Liston was in his last fight, a fully matured puncher, yet took 10 rounds to pound out the Bleeder.

"Need I say more?" was his conclusion.

richdanahuff likes this.
  11. timmers612

timmers612 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Wepner would have a better say then most, can't say many were in a position to feel the difference in their punches. How hard did George hit though? Fred Askew, a journeyman heavy from up here in Mpls. was ko'd by George early in both of their careers and tells this story, Freddy grew up on a farm in Tennessee and as a lad got behind an angry horse and was kicked full in the head leaving him unconsious for an entire day. Fred says George hit harder.

12. timmers612

timmers612 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Thats what I remember also though I can't remember where off hand, it would be nice to find the documentation. Ron Lyle did say Earnie Shavers hit harder then Foreman.

13. popejking

popejking Adamek Full Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Isnt Ali the most competent in that topic? He fought both Liston and Foreman and many others great punchers. I aint sure, but didnt he say that Shavers hit him the hardest?

Reinhardt likes this.
  14. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I've also heard Wepner say adamantly that before the Ali fight, he'd never been down. Even though I saw Liston knock him down. :conf

swagdelfadeel and Journeyman92 like this.
  15. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    It's always said that the last thing a puncher loses is his punch. And an old Liston still had a hell of a punch !!! Good to see you back Hydraulix :good