Chuck Wepner tomato can or a upper level journeyman

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by steve1990, Apr 17, 2019.

Your opinion

1. Tomato can

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Upper level journeyman

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  3. Other

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. steve1990

steve1990 Active Member Full Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Your thoughts on Wepner?

2. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Tough guy. but a beatable fighter that is going to show up in shape and give it his all. Big guy and strong. But if an up and coming heavy is supposed to be a diamond just needing polished, chuck is a terrific opponent. If the prospect is in shape he wins but he will work for the victory.

Wepner's best punch was that right hand rabbit punch in tight. He fought like a hockey fighter on the inside and nobody could tie up that hand hand---even Ali couldn't. Lots of kidney punches and I'm not sure that he even threw left hooks to the head.

The other thing he had was Braverman---he'd send his fighter anywhere anytime for any money for a fight.

The bout I've never seen and want to is Chuck's last fight I think----the tko8 loss to another hockey fighter in the ring, Schutte.
    Another tough guy. It must have been a hard and tough inside fight. Both of those guys were just so tough on the inside.

3. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Go to a bar any saturday night and watch two sloppy drunks fight. Thats what Schutte-Wepner looked like. Schutt was fat as a pig and kept rushing in. Wepner would wait, clinch, and then throw rabbit punches. Awful fight. It wasnt Wepner's last though and it ended in a 10 round decision.

4. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    I hate when they show Ali/Wepner on ESPN. The guy had no skill. He also lacked coordination. He was very big for that era. rugged, dirty and he bled alot. Being white probably helped him.