Classic’s prediction on Fury’s all time ranking?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by reznick, May 6, 2021.

1. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    What is your prediction for where Fury will be ranked as an ATG after his retirement?

My prediction is he will be a top 10 lock, and potentially a top 5 all time HW.

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    It's hard to say. He needs to get in the ring and fight some of these guys out there. Joshua first.
    He hasn't got much time left, he's almost 33 now.
    He wasted his prime unfortunately.

If he fights a few of these top men and beats them convincingly, and doesn't get knocked out by some Rahman-level mediocrity, he probably deserves a top 10 ranking, yes.

3. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    If he beats Joshua he's a lock for top 15 arguably top 10. If he beats AJ and Usyk then he's guaranteed top 10

4. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Top 20.

I see no reason to think he'll top Foreman, Lewis or Holmes to get in the top five.

5. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Agree. While I think Fury is impressive H2H and an difficult matchup for even the great fighters, his resume does not reflect that yet. I mean I have Louis at #2 and I think Fury would drill him. But Louis has the fat resume to justify his place there. Fury does not.

6. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Hmm think you can put him in the top 30 now. Beats AJ top 15. One or two other decent wins top ten. My personal opinion is based on did you face the best of your time and win? Not what if’s. His resume is good but thin. Needs AJ and Ruiz or Whyte. Shame never fought Povetkin (Povetkin may have beaten him a few years ago not now). Either way one of the two will make top 10-15 after this fight imo

fists of fury likes this.
  7. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Top 10 is a far reach right now ... He will have to make up for his inactivity and wasted prime years ... Louis and Ali were able to do that so it's possible ... He's going to have to beat AJ in a trilogy ... And then beat at least one more big time name or have a long reign at the top as undisputed

RockyJim likes this.
  8. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    What's Fury done to deserve such high rankings? His resume is pretty thin if you consider Wladimir was well into his twilight as a fighter. Good win, but not a special victory.
    Then Wilder draw and win. Wilder is seen as dangerous but limited. Beyond that, Chisora, who loses to most.
    He doesn't have a lot of time left to cement his legacy. If he beats AJ then he goes a long way further, but if he loses?

9. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Agreed

He's going to need more big names on his resume or at least a decent reign as undisputed champion

Maybe he can pull it off ... But he's kind of an unstable character ... He may just retire again

RockyJim and BCS8 like this.
  10. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Well, he'll definitely be a Hall of Famer. Where he ranks all-time is way too early to tell.

If he retires unbeaten, he may assume the top spot. There aren't many in history who could handle a 6'9" 270 pound boxer/puncher like him. And he's got all the charisma in the world. He's a two-time lineal champ. And he's held ALL of the major heavyweight title belts (WBC, WBA, WBO, IBF, RING), all of them, and never lost any in the ring.

If he fights until he's 45 and loses 15 times, and ends his career 35-15, he certainly won't.

After Evander beat Tyson, I think Ring said Evander was the third-best heavyweight who ever lived, behind Ali and Louis. Then Evander lost 10 times and was getting shut out by Larry Donald four fights down buried on some undercard, and even had his boxing license in the U.S. pulled at one point. He isn't #3 on most lists anymore.

Too early. But he's an all-time great. He certainly has a shot to be the best of them all.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    Pat M likes this.
  11. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    I have no good reason to put him in the top 50 at this point. He has fought almost no live bodies so far. The Wilder win is his only significant win so far, and, I don't rate Wilder highly. Big talk, and rarely backing it up in the ring does not make an all time great in my book.. I suppose only time will tell.

RockyJim likes this.
  12. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    So far he has an old Wlad and an overhyped Wilder on his resume.

IF he beats Joshua. He’s top 20.

he has made 0 title defenses. And has wasted a large portion of his career.

I’ll put him ahead of guys like Bowe, Baer and Norton. But he comes nowhere near guys like Wlad, Ali, Holmes

13. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    I don't think he has a case for top 10 right now, but it's possible he'll finish within that top 15 range.

14. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Joshua was beaten up by Ruiz, so I'm not sure a win over Joshua would be regarded as particularly special for an 'all time' legacy.
    But Joshua is still in his prime and the best available opponent out there, so it would be a good win to have in 2021.

Joshua and Wilder are the best fighters of the post-Wlad era.
    So, dethroning Wlad, then wins over Wilder and Joshua will cement Fury's place in this era.
    He'll probably need to beat a few others to really make a case for the top 15 all-time or whatever.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    fists of fury likes this.
  15. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    I see it the same. A win over AJ would cement Fury as the best heavyweight of this era. Let him cross that bridge first, and then let's see from there.

BCS8 and Unforgiven like this.