CLASSIC FIGHT NIGHT THREAD:Wilder-Fury II

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by McGrain, Nov 15, 2014.

1. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Not really much left for him in the division now.

Once he rounds up the WBC title, he will basically be waiting for a credible challenger to emerge.

2. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Look, Wlad is a wonderful, wonderful fighter who enhanced his reputation enormously tonight. It really is something to celebrate. Bbut surely on this forum, we're not comparing a strapholder who shared his division evenly with the other extraordinary HW of his era with the undisputed HW title holder, are we?

When counting Wlad defences to compare with Louis, count either from the first time he EVER met his #2 contender while ranked #1, Povetkin, or from when Ring count (Rather randomly) from his beating past prime #3 Chagaev.

But I don't want to hear this **** about his comparing that record because it's bull****.

3. Mr Butt

Mr Butt Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 16, 2009
    Yeah they might want it I suppose for a cash out fight backers do cash out if the pots big enough or they need to get money back before the chance has gone ( Tyson/Biggs )

4. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Fury is legitimate, and that might be a difficult fight for him. What we saw tonight is interesting. Wlad, when faced with an aggressive opponent who does not provide him with a natural reach advantage is forced to be more aggressive. He was bloody brilliant at it, too. But he afforded Pulev opportunities tonight. He will probably afford Fury opportunities too.

On the other hand, that's the first time I've seen Wlad fight and wondered if he might not beat Lennox Lewis. He might be cooler.

5. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Funny Briggs trying to get in the ring :lol: What is he thinking precisely?

6. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    That was exciting fight against a true #1 contender and Wlad closed the show big time!!

7. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Chagaev was undefeated and 28 years old, weighing in at a trim 226lb. I know he suffered hepatitis a year earlier, but how past his prime was he? I think he was pretty close to his peak here. Chagaev showed much more physical decline a few years later vs povetkin in 2011.

8. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    It was the Achilles injury that really damaged him IMO. He wasn't the same after that. He was faded against Skelton.

Good scalp, but he was past-prime no doubt.

9. Flea Man

Flea Man มวยสากล Full Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Been saying for a while now that Wlad is one of the greatest heavyweights of all time.

If he was black and American a lot more people would agree.

I would give anything other than a major organ (not that fussed, I'd donate my appendix) to see Wlad crush Wilder and shut up the American fans who are caught up in the hype.

In terms of skillset, Wilder is a club fighter.

Wlad is one of the greatest heavyweights ever.

Still not as good as Lennox though.

10. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    I was way wrong!

Great fight for the HW Division. Best I've seen since Arreola/Stiverne II.

Wlad looked like an animal out there tonight.

11. Flea Man

Sep 7, 2008
    Fury would force Wlad to fight at a pace he's uncomfortable at.

But after a while it would be like the Wach fight, plus Tex Cobb, plus Louis-Max Baer.

I.e target practise until the heart fails and the cacker slumps on the mat.

12. The Long Count

Oct 8, 2013
    He did great fight just the shot the division needed.

13. Flea Man

Sep 7, 2008
    Stiverne should say '**** Wilder he's a joke' and fight Wlad.

14. The Long Count

Oct 8, 2013
    It will be Jennings makes too much sense for both parties.

Jennings will take the fight because:
    1. It will be by far the most money he can make.
    2. He has chance to win multiple belts.
    3. He sees the mess in the Wilder/Stiverne negotiations does he really want to be put on the shelf for a year and wait? K2 runs a pretty smooth operation.

Wlad will make the fight because:
    1. He wants the WBC belt what better way to put pressure on them by eliminating their #1 contender.
    2. Bryant has a built in American audience that Wlad wants to tap into
    3. He has the opportunity to make a voluntary fight and not a mando he will take it. Then he will take his mando while Povetkin who has already stated he wants a rematch with Wlad will become the WBC mandatory putting them between a rock and hard place.
    4. Both are HBO fighters

15. brb

brb Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 14, 2010
    If anything, Wlad should get more credit for his WBO title defenses.

Every era a fighter has someone they don't face that fights the "dangerous" guys.

Wlad is the only HW champ to defend against 2 number 1 contenders since Ali.